A Modest Proposal - Dear American liberals

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's a small technicality. I don't really see the reason to trash anyone's origins by, say, bringing up the demise of western indians. Who cares who did what, really ? All it does is bring up some weird form of guilt for events that noone is responsible for today. It's no wonder that some psychologists go as far as investigating what happened to older relatives. Let the past go and take it's place in history books so the living have their hands free to fix today's messes.
I agree.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Exactly... I don't know what you guys are so afraid of, except maybe a tax rise. No healthcare system can be perfect, but at least those who need it can get the right care.

In the UK, the NHS isn't completely "free". Excluding taxes, employed people have to pay for prescription medication; a flat rate of £6 or £7. Unemployed people, children and students are exempt from this. You also have to pay for trips to the dentist, it's a flat rate of £15-£20 for a checkup, depending on where you live (that can rise to £100+ for treatments).

The fact is that you don't have to use it if you don't want to. Many people here opt to get private insurance, or it's sometimes provided by employers. Private hospitals are generally cleaner, there are more staff per patient, you get your own room instead of being on a ward, and the waiting times are shorter. Waiting times being the biggest factor. Most people just use NHS GPs, they're more abundent and the service standard is generally good.

Believe me, if you're ill enough to be rushed to hospital, you just want to see someone, it doesn't matter how nice the hospital looks.
What you say makes sense to a point, but why on earth would I pay extra taxes to my Government only to opt out and pay for private coverage? I already have to do that if I want to send my kids to a private school, and that isn't cheap. This is the big issue with many Americans. The Obama Administration promises us we can opt out, but he does not give us the option to opt out of paying the taxes. Sorry, but why should I pay double (for all intents and purposes) when the next guy down the road basically pays nothing?

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
What you say makes sense to a point, but why on earth would I pay extra taxes to my Government only to opt out and pay for private coverage? I already have to do that if I want to send my kids to a private school, and that isn't cheap. This is the big issue with many Americans. The Obama Administration promises us we can opt out, but he does not give us the option to opt out of paying the taxes. Sorry, but why should I pay double (for all intents and purposes) when the next guy down the road basically pays nothing?
Well, people who can afford health insurance are more likely to have higher incomes, and therefore higher tax revenue. The money has to come from somewhere to fund it, and taxing only those who use it is kinda defeating the point. You can still use the NHS no matter what insurance cover you have. Like I said, the majority of people use NHS GPs anyway even if they have insurance. If, for some reason you lost your job and couldn't pay insurance anymore, it would be there.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Well, people who can afford health insurance are more likely to have higher incomes, and therefore higher tax revenue.
So, basically Robin Hooding it.

The money has to come from somewhere to fund it, and taxing only those who use it is kinda defeating the point.
That is what America is about, personal responsibility. For those who are down on their luck, we do have Government programs to help them get back on their feet, but the individual has to want and ask for the help. It would be un-American for the Government to seek out those who just lost their jobs and start giving them money, benefits. If you want help in this country, you ask for it. It isn't automatic.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
So, basically Robin Hooding it.

That is what America is about, personal responsibility. For those who are down on their luck, we do have Government programs to help them get back on their feet, but the individual has to want and ask for the help. It would be un-American for the Government to seek out those who just lost their jobs and start giving them money, benefits. If you want help in this country, you ask for it. It isn't automatic.

Robin hood was the good guy though wasn't he? :D

Sure, it's the same here, you have to apply for benefits and register as unemployed if you need it, nobody is going to track you down.

As for people being "down on their luck", the majority of middle income families (I'm talking about people with degrees, who have full time jobs) here can't afford or don't have insurance. It doesn't just apply to the unemployed and people on very low incomes. Usually only high income families send their kids to private school too. Maybe it's different over there.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
For those who are down on their luck, we do have Government programs to help them get back on their feet, but the individual has to want and ask for the help.

I have a feeling this has all to do with that woman that died last year waiting to get looked at. Don't you ?

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Robin hood was the good guy though wasn't he? :D
Was he? It was only because the people he stole from were assholes to the poor, not because they were simply "rich".

Sure, it's the same here, you have to apply for benefits and register as unemployed if you need it, nobody is going to track you down.
Then why should health coverage be automatic?

As for people being "down on their luck", the majority of middle income families (I'm talking about people with degrees, who have full time jobs) here can't afford or don't have insurance. It doesn't just apply to the unemployed and people on very low incomes. Usually only high income families send their kids to private school too. Maybe it's different over there.
85 percent of Americans have coverage, either through private brokers, their employers or by some form of government provided system. The steady 15 percent or so that do not are comprised of, but not exclusively limited to:

1. Aliens (illegal and legal)
2. Americans who make of $75K annually
3. Adults from 18-25 who do not opt to buy coverage (probably about a 50/50 split on those who want coverage but cannot get it or afford it and those who just do not want to spend the money even though they can afford it)
4. Americans who actually qualify for government coverage but do not seek it out

I have a feeling this has all to do with that woman that died last year waiting to get looked at. Don't you ?
So, we change our health care system so dramatically and incur these much added costs for the few who slip through the cracks? That is utterly ridiculous.

What needs to be done, as I stated numerous times, is for real tort reform to happen on a state level. Some states are already working on this very thing to help curb costs. Malpractice lawsuits effect much more of our health care system than simply a doctor paying a higher insurance rate. There is a reason that we (patients/insurance providers) pay extra in billions each year for duplicate and unneeded tests/procedures.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
So, we change our health care system so dramatically and incur these much added costs for the few who slip through the cracks? That is utterly ridiculous..
I wouldn't even call it that. It was just stupidity on the part of some particular individuals, not the "system". that can happen in any system

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
So, we change our health care system so dramatically and incur these much added costs for the few who slip through the cracks? That is utterly ridiculous.

Well, as I understand things, it wasn't so much slipping through the cracks as you say than having to wait hours for what turned out to be an emergency.

Last edited:

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Well, as I understand things, it wasn't so much slipping through the cracks as you say than having to wait hours for what turned out to be an emergency.
And that can having nothing at all to do with health insurance but everything to do with the locale. I have gone to the ER here in Vegas and it is not a pretty sight trying to get seen and treated in a reasonable timeframe. But I have been to the ER in smaller rural areas where I got right in and out.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We've had to take my son to the ER probably a dozen times since he was born, and it is always a chore to get seen quickly there, even with something that could be life threatening (for what it's worth, we never took him when we didn't think his life was in any danger). We once took him to the ER and waited FOUR HOURS to be seen by a doctor in the middle of the night. When our pediatricians office is open, I just call them now, even if I think it's an emergency. It generally takes less time to see them than to see the ER doctors.

But I don't see how health insurance has anything to do with that, anyway. Maybe if you were trying to say that less people would be covered at the ER, then okay.... but in this case we're trying to make it so that every man, woman, and child has coverage at the ER for any reason. Can't possibly see how that would cause any problems... :p

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
This is really a pointless argument because those of you living under a different system are going to have a completely disconnected viewpoint. Others of you seem ignorant of your own country's history and founding documents - or at least willing to toss them aside.

The U.S. is a bit unique in its foundation... it places a very high priority on personal liberty and responsibility. Of course, we've strayed far from that, though most people don't realize it... or don't seem to realize it.

For decades we've had layer upon layer of social intervention woven into the fabric of the government and the brains of the people that they've come to accept it as the way it is. Now that same government - and those that stand to benefit - have found a way to convince everyone that the system this nation stands upon has failed. Of course they don't bother mentioning that their own intervention is the primary reason.

Read your Constitution, people. Understand what we are (and have been) giving away.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Fired. Dropped. Smoked. Canned. Banished from my BuF viewing experience. Exiled unto my Ignore List. Ostracized from my optical orifices. Neutered, so that thou shalt never again rapeth my mind of its peace.

I'm sorry, I didn't think you were going to be such a pansy about it. Now that I know you are sensitive about your balls existence I will try to stay away from it.

But in all seriousness, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Last edited:

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
hay guys it says Larkin was the last one who posted in this thread, but I can't see it because I blocked him. Doesn't my life rule? :cool:

Last edited:

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
This is really a pointless argument because those of you living under a different system are going to have a completely disconnected viewpoint. Others of you seem ignorant of your own country's history and founding documents - or at least willing to toss them aside.

The U.S. is a bit unique in its foundation... it places a very high priority on personal liberty and responsibility. Of course, we've strayed far from that, though most people don't realize it... or don't seem to realize it.

For decades we've had layer upon layer of social intervention woven into the fabric of the government and the brains of the people that they've come to accept it as the way it is. Now that same government - and those that stand to benefit - have found a way to convince everyone that the system this nation stands upon has failed. Of course they don't bother mentioning that their own intervention is the primary reason.

Read your Constitution, people. Understand what we are (and have been) giving away.
Thank you.