UT2kX DM-GrendelsMere [Beta] [DL] [Screen Shots]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Grendel's Mere
Unreal Tournament 2004 v3369

Posted update for Beta 4.

Download: DM-GrendelsMere-Beta4 (~3,5 MiB)

Beta 4 action shots:
http://s739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/unrealjecht/DM-GrendelsMere-Beta4/?albumview=slideshow

[screenshot]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/unrealjecht/DM-GrendelsMere-Beta4/Shot00224.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/unrealjecht/DM-GrendelsMere-Beta4/Shot00237.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/unrealjecht/DM-GrendelsMere-Beta4/Shot00238.jpg[/screenshot]

Version: Beta 3

Screen Shots

[screenshot]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/unrealjecht/DM-GrendelsMere/8.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/unrealjecht/DM-GrendelsMere/1.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/unrealjecht/DM-GrendelsMere/6.jpg[/screenshot]

Gameplay Tips

- Outside: There's a doorway ruin with a glowing, orange light. Go into it to be teleported to the third floor of the building, and mount a surprise attack. You'll spawn in mid-air (less chance of teleport abuse in Freon), but there's a risk someone lift jumping could get telefragged. The teleport destination is visual, so it is avoidable.

- Building (Main): There's a button near the cell on the left. Use it to open or close the cell. There's no chance of escape. I have considered making the wall on the side explode on some damage threshold, though I've yet to explore it further.

Comments

This is close to finished. Bots are well supported.

1. Simplified collisions with the water volume. Blown up the gridspacing a lot on the fluid surface for performance reasons. Looks good anyway.

2. Sounds: Loud rain and thunder sounds, with lightning emitters. The rain sound is currently only emitted from the zoneinfo in the middle of the map.

3. Enable weather effects in the game settings to see the rain.

4. Some trimming in the jump pad part of the building is quite ugly at the moment.

I've playtested DM, TDM, and Freon with bots, and also used soakbots without it giving any reports at all, which I do find odd (it has at least halted most maps giving some error that they can't find their leader before).

There's not much going on outside the walls.

Comments appreciated.

Download: DM-GrendelsMere-Beta3 (~2,7 MiB)

hf!

Last edited:

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
very dim lighting.

I'll most likely play around with the lighting later, at least outdoors.

Does the dim lighting cause any trouble gameplay wise, or did you mean it from an aesthetic point of view? Was it just outside? Inside? etc

It's supposed to be dark, though--a bit twilightish.

(The building looks more and more like the head of Bart Simpson, or perhaps Bort. :/)

Thanks!

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Looks cool, good to see people are still making UT2K4 maps. Dl'ing now, comments tomorrow.

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES

Does the dim lighting cause any trouble gameplay wise, or did you mean it from an aesthetic point of view? Was it just outside? Inside? etc

(The building looks more and more like the head of Bart Simpson, or perhaps Bort. :/)

Thanks!

sadly my computers pooped

ordering new one soon

plus getting the old one fixed :)

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
OK, so this untypical deathmatch map needs a backstory, and I really don't care enough about such things to be able to make something remotely inspiring, so maybe someone who actually has an imagination/is a story nerd/whatever would like to give it a shot.

* Maybe connect it with the story behind Grendelkeep:

"Prieth Callas was a hard, cruel man, fond of torturing his enemies before sending them to their deaths. He raised creatures of great size and ferocity, setting them against his prisoners in arenas of his own creation. Grendelkeep is the last of his diabolical constructions, left to fall into ruin after Callas was dragged from the battlements by his own men and fed to the creatures he bred in the dark kennels below. The rain has washed away the blood, but the evil that bred here has left a much deeper stain."

The author or authors will be noted in credits (woOw).

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
:( Maybe it destroyed Interbellum's PC as well. :eek:

Heh... No, my PC's fine, and so's the map. I was quite drunk when I tried it though, and totally forgot about the feedback. Then I went on vacation. But iirc it's a fun map with a nice mixture of indoor & outdoor action. :)

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org

Thanks!

I was wondering what the "mere" was, and apparently it's British term for lake or pool. I didn't even know there was water on the map when I was looking at it in flyby mode because the waters just blends in, and looks like it's the result of the storm. It just doesn't seem to figure prominently enough to give the map its name, or even seem very lake like, especially considering the location, inside the walls of a castle compound.

The debris, while serving a obvious gameplay purpose, just doesn't look right. They're standing up vertically, but don't seem to have a source. They also should look like they have moss on them if they're in standing water. The other problem is that with all the debris, the compound walls look out of place, since they aren't crumbling or deformed. I suggest changing the lake and debris field to a cemetary, or constructing several regular columns and trusses and then moving debris in the spaces around the columns, so its more apparent why the debris field is there. Also, the metal around the lift, the tin canopy, and the large storage box outside should be changed since they arent consistent with the theme. Same goes with the cool little Ubuntu sign, which I liked.

There should be more access to the upper levels inside the castle. They are way too sniper friendly as they are. On that subject, the castle basically consists of several large rooms of various sizes, mainly huge. Don't be afraid to use BSP to your advantage. Some more consistency with the sizes of rooms and some ramps and stairs would do wonders for the looks and gameplay.

Outside is too dark both aesthically and from a gameplay point of view. If you're not using brightskins, it's hard to see opponents. Thunderstorms are also quite bright, I'd suggest upping the ambient brightness and matching it to the fog color and sky. They look ok, but you should consider the fog and sky color in conjunction with the other map colors. I'd also suggest two alternating light colors/sources outside that work well with the reddish brown wall textures, instead of just the lamps.

I like this map a lot more than Anatawa, but it still seems very rough. Grendelkeep is an awesome map and a favorite of many. So if you're going to use a similar name, you need to be consistent with the theme, as well as provide great gameplay so you don't disappoint.

EDIT: Now I know why the water is so dark, I opened the map in the editor, and the water surface is black. :eek: No wonder it's so confusing.

Last edited:

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
* (Water) Think Zelda 2, when you go for the swamp palace. ;) I just haven't made it feel like a swamp yet.

* (Lighting) I have brightened the outside area somewhat. One thing is to play against bots. But in TAM or Freon, brightskins are used--mostly.

* (Lighting) I've made the sunlight contrast with interior lighting. The oil lamps are still the same outside. Don't really know what else to use at the moment.

* (Water) Lies! The water/mud/marsh/mere is not a black texture, but I had to tone that texture down because it was basically unlit, but my "cheats" for lighting the fluidsurface are going to help make it look more vivid.

* (Immersion) About the container and metal crates; it's a tournament map, so I think it's only natural to dump players and supplies somewhere. (I'm slowly getting the feeling I'm alone in having that logic.)

* Ubuntu sign.. ah The Guru Meditation. It's an Amiga thing.

* (Gameplay) "More access to upper levels."--It's so easy to just write that. :p There are three standard ways to the top floor: from the outside teleport, the lift jump, or the ladder. Going for the lift means you are exposed to snipers, true, but that gives people outside some action. I'm looking into a third and fourth path from the main hall and mid floor, but then no one will want to go outside in the cold rain. :(

* (Walls) I've had little luck making the building look wastelandish using BSP so far, so I just scaled the texture up so it looks consistent with the surrounding walls.

Thanks, Jefe!

Last edited:

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
no your map didn't cause it my exe files changed to .ink files.

Was it the Win32.Leprechaun?

Heh... No, my PC's fine, and so's the map. I was quite drunk when I tried it though, and totally forgot about the feedback. Then I went on vacation. But iirc it's a fun map with a nice mixture of indoor & outdoor action. :)

That's the spirit!
Drunk. Vacation. Probably the same thing.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Beta4

Posted update for Beta 4.

Download: DM-GrendelsMere-Beta4 (~3,5 MiB)

Beta 4 action shots:
http://s739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/unrealjecht/DM-GrendelsMere-Beta4/?albumview=slideshow

[screenshot]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/unrealjecht/DM-GrendelsMere-Beta4/Shot00224.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/unrealjecht/DM-GrendelsMere-Beta4/Shot00237.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/unrealjecht/DM-GrendelsMere-Beta4/Shot00238.jpg[/screenshot]

* Brighter, more intense with new sections and a boost pad for getting to the building faster.
* Added some reflections.
* More vivid colours.
* More routes to take in the building.
* Players who get jailed can blast the wall. The wall takes around 50 damage before "exploding."
* Try yourself as a ballerina without the safety net.