UE3 - UT3 My first customized character problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Elksha

Mar 5, 2008
hi duds, i'm totally newbie here Beyond Unreal forum.I'm making mod which is mordern warfare like Call of Duty 4. After i had finished my work on MAX, i got a problem. ok, let me show you a picture

herocu7.jpg

as you see, the materials are broken, backpag and boots. I don't know why this problem happens.

Can anyone give me a advice?

Last edited:

SuperApe

Registered Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
Inna Jungle
wiki.beyondunreal.com
You can get to the root of the problem using a test texture: a gradient or blocks of solid color with obvious tags like, "Boot", "Backpack", "Face", etc. Make the texture by just painting over your current texture. Apply such a texture and view the results in both Max and Ued (as suggested above, those might be different).

Basically, this is a UV texture space problem, where the UV mapping as applied to your model in Ued s somehow coming out different than you expected. The suggestion above should help to define where it's different and by how much, so you can make some adjustments (if its minor) or try to track down the problem in translating your UV mapping (if its major).

Hope that helps.

EDIT: BTW, in Ued, there is an odd difference in the way in which static meshes and animated meshes interpret texture maps. IIRC, Static meshes appear to work fine as is, Animated meshes require the texture to be flipped vertically. (V flip)

Last edited:

EvilEngine

GodMode
Mar 31, 2003
www.evilengine.net
Its becuase of the UVmapping. Its kind of a long story, buts thats the way the game "sees" different mesh pieces that are specified in the UTCustChar.ini that form the character.
The way I get around this issue for models that are one solid piece or two(head and body) is just to export one triangle attached to the same skeleton that model uses and use this new part as a "dummy" bodypart. In the ini it will be used instead of other body mesh pieces, just so the game knows something is there even though its not a new part.
This part should have the same body material applied to it as you have the model parts. Make sure its also set up to have the same settings as your model too(z axis = -51 etc)
Study my Spawn character or other models I have made, and check out geodav's tutorial for what these uv regions are called:
http://ut40k.planetunreal.gamespy.com/unreal-Dateien/ut3tuts/UT3_Character_tutorial_1.htm

Last edited: