3D Models?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
What do you need to make UT models?

I would love to try this.
I could probaly figure out how to do it after I got the software but I nyone is already doing this a how to do it would help too.

Mambo

Metallica Head
Mar 25, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
You need a program called 3D studio MAX. It costs about $8000 unless you know somebody who has it. By the way, i have tried using it, and it is a really difficult program to use if you don't know what you're doing like me :)

Dr. Jones

Sep 24, 1999
Budapest, HUNGARY
Visit site
Hi, Zombie/nVA!

I have just managed to create my very first model for UT.

I have made it with Milkshape3D (man, it's freeeee!!!!!)
Skeletal animation is sooo cool. It is simple, easy and quick. You can create a totally new model in hours (ok... it took me 3-4 days).
My only problem was, that I had to convert the model to Quake 2 format (md2), because converting to UT format with Crusher (a Quake 2 model viewer that can convert to Unreal) gave me a better .uc file than MilkShape3D.
Modelling, skinning and animating is a child's play with MilkShape3D!!!

The Quake 2 editor
(http://www.rmdsoftware.com/q2modeller/)
is also very useful tool!!!

There is a good tutorial over at www.machinima.com/articles.shtml

3D Studio Max may be the best program for modelling, but these programs are free (or shareware), and are MUCH EASIER to use (I think...).

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Thanks...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
I might be going into "enemy territory" for this one.
Its just that there are soooo many user made Q2 models compared to UT's select few. I thought I'd give it a shot.
I think a Q at the quake forums would provide the same answers, no?

I really don't want to but if that's what I gotta do....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
nevermind :)

[This message has been edited by zombie/nVA (edited 06-25-2000).]

PTQ

Apr 3, 2000
Visit site
Hi Dr. Jones

Where do you get the Crusher Q2 model viewer?

What do you mean the crusher program builds a better uc file?

Dark_Outlaw lPuFl

May 16, 2000
Raleigh, NC
okay, this is the deal...

yes i have 3d Studio Max...yes it is complex to use (hell, i had to buy a 22" monitor to see everything w/o going bug eyed) but once you kinda grasp it...

HOLY **** can you do alot with it!!!

i have just been playing with it for about 2 weeks, but some of the stuff you can do when you get it humming is incredible...

so if ya know someone who has it...i would suggest getting it.

i have made some incredible, low poly, terrains with it...

as far as models...well...my perfectionist anal retentive self is too timid right now to try to incorporate anything into my Ued maps yet for skins and stuff...but i'm getting there...

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Well I tried d/l the newest v of Milkshake but twice it has told me its not a valid archive.

I figured, hell with it, I'll d/l the whole shaBang, the files aren't that big anyway.

Hopefully I'll have some luck.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
I'm not having much luck.
I d/l all the versions there and the extra drivers. I could open about three.
I noticed a lot of .h and .cpp files but no exe.
Do I need to complie these myself?
I have a c++ compliler but didn't try it ;)

Dr. Jones

Sep 24, 1999
Budapest, HUNGARY
Visit site
To PTQ...

Hi, PTQ

You can download crusher from here: http://www.gazpacho.net/crusher/

I hope you will like it.
Have fun and much success

I had some problems importing the textures to Unreal when I used the .uc file of Milkshape3D.

With the one of Crusher everything was fine!
(I say this because I do not understand script files and programs... (I just use them :-)) I'm sure it doesn't really matter, but I am lasy and have VERY limited time for playing with the editors. :-(

Dr. Jones

Sep 24, 1999
Budapest, HUNGARY
Visit site
To Zombie/nVa...

Hi,

I am sorry, but my friend had similar problems.
I have an AMD K6/2 300 processor and use Win95 (Hungarian version) and it works fine.

My friend has an Intel Celeron 300A processor and uses Win98 (Hungarian version) and has similar problems.

I have no idea what could be wrong and why...
:-(

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
Strange,I downloaded it without problems.
Also people have to be aware that milkshape doesn't quite work with savage cards.
That's important since many UT players have savages.

thuhcaptain

Jun 29, 2000
Visit site
Lets just get this straight all up front: I'm am not a UT editor, I don't have UT, and I still can't figure out how to get these models out after perusing a few web sites.
I recently downloaded a pair of UT models from an Aliens Fan site, and I wsas planning on exporting them to 3DS Max for a little movie I'm making. The problem is, Milkshape can only import *.3d files, not
*.int/*.utx/*.umod. I do not have unrealed (Can't install without unreal), and the impression I got was that I migh need it to get these models out.

Please give me a hand here. If the only thing I can do is send these to someone to export, is ther anyone willing to help me out?

-Xenomoroph-

Jun 5, 2000
LV-426, "Archeron"
Visit site
If any of you want to have some custom body sounds for your player model, contact me at s.shark@excite.com

bullet2.gif

Even the mightiest may fall; fallen by even the weakest.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
I'm not having any problems with the d/l, takes about 30 seconds.
for reference lets use the newest v, Milkshape1.2.3
I try to unzip it and WinZip tells me its not a valid archive. The file is listed on the site and on my sys as a .zip.
One question that is bugging me...
Is there an exe or setup program in the zip file. I haven't seen these in any of the versions I d/l that I could open.

My specs, just in case.
P2, 64md Ram, Win98, VodooBanshee.

Could someone that has working v of Milkshape be a pal (it is free right?) and send it to me. I'm feeling pretty left out.
Just to make sure, this is the correct link, right? http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/odtrack/odtrack.php3?url=http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/files/ms3d132.zip

Ingenue

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
There is not currently a way to take UT models *back* into 3dSMax. Not one that's a freebie on the 'net anyway.

My best suggestion is to find a way to get UT models into Q2 (there's probably a "crusher-like" program out there for this) then use QME to export the models as .dxf files, which can then be brought into Max and probably Milkshape as well.

-I

beeyatch

Jun 22, 2000
vic, aus
Visit site
in response to juuk's question on how to import 3dmax files into unrealed...
(1) make sure your max model is a solid object and has no holes. making it fewer than 200 polys is a good idea too.
(2) in 3dmax export your model as a dxf file.
(3) in unrealed import the file as a brush, then add it to the world