Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned Review

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Gamespot has posted a review (8.5/10) of the first DLC for Borderlands. The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned is currently available for the PS3 and Xbox 360, with a PC installment "coming soon"

Amusing recordings give you silly glimpses of other adventurers, and a cheerfully coldhearted company representative reminds you to never, under any circumstances, engage in oral contact with the undead. Dr. Ned himself has some great lines, and he preserves his general apathy throughout the revealing campaign to hilarious effect. This liberal dose of humor, combined with the new environments, helps create a healthy variety both within the add-on and when compared to the main game.

According to the review, the difficulty level is scaled to your progress in the main storyline and not your character's level.

To get loot and face enemies commensurate with your level, it's important to keep the following in mind: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned scales everything according to your progress through the main story of Borderlands, not according to your character's level. So before you head to Jakob's Cove, take stock of your situation. If the enemies and the level of your current main story quest are about on par with your character's level, then you'll find a good challenge and good loot on the Zombie Island. If you've been spending time leveling but not advancing the story (that is, by doing lots of side quests or playing cooperatively with someone at a different point in the story than you), you may be overleveled for your current story progress. This could make Zombie Island too easy and make your loot haul unsatisfying.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
Has anything with even a moderate amount of hype netted under an 8 score from any major reviewer lately? Nope.

Can't say I trust any of these.
:hmm:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Has anything with even a moderate amount of hype netted under an 8 score from any major reviewer lately? Nope.
that's because most reviews are paid for these days.

you guarantee a favorable review, and you get an advanced copy of the title plus a slice of the advertising. like when they feature your awesome review in their commercials.

people have even been fired for giving poor reviews of games when publishers had already paid the website or magazine for the right to advertise (see: Kane and Lynch vs. Gamespot). this does a huge disservice to the gaming industry, but it's not alone. the bottom line here is not to trust any critics, the reason can be applied to nearly every type; food critics, TV, film, books, etc.

everyone just wants to get paid.
the actual quality of the product is irrelevant.
you just need to make it sound good enough so that sales will cover the cost of production.

this is why I advocate the "try before buy" method of PC gaming.
and yes, that is to say that I pirate games, only buying them once I know I'll like them. well, I don't do this every time... but I do it.
this can be avoided when games offer legitimate demos that can be downloaded for free, but until the day we have a proper system of "renting" PC games, I remain a swashbuckler. I think this fair, and I justify it by always paying for the game when it's clear that I'll enjoy it. it helps too when I know someone who has the game I'm interested in, I can take it for a test drive that way.

I should also mention that if the game is already cheap, say 20 bucks or something or a 10 dollar Direct2Drive, I won't hesitate to pay for it if I think it's going to be good. like I just bought Torchlight without knowing hardly anything about it, being that it was so inexpensive.

Last edited:

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
I'm not really convinced about this. It seems like decent value and all, but the whole foggy zombie-infested island setting looks boring and unappealing to me.