Minecraft guy: Piracy is not theft

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Since when used game sales = piracy? With piracy there's no guarantee of a single sale, with used, there is.
You misunderstand his point. He meant in in the way that as piracy is a problem on PC, used game sales is seen as a problem on consoles.
He didn't say that piracy was absolutely and exactly equal to used game sales, because it isn't. He just said that both are problems of the same magnitude for each type of platform. Publishers need to learn how to deal with both.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
You misunderstand his point. He meant in in the way that as piracy is a problem on PC, used game sales is seen as a problem on consoles.
He didn't say that piracy was absolutely and exactly equal to used game sales, because it isn't. He just said that both are problems of the same magnitude for each type of platform. Publishers need to learn how to deal with both.
Ok, I see

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
Since when used game sales = piracy? With piracy there's no guarantee of a single sale, with used, there is.

Then I don't see anything ethically wrong with the used game market. A game is just like any other product that you don't want to use anymore

Actually it is more complicated. You buy the license to use it, you don't own the product.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
I'm more curious to hear what he thinks of ForteressCraft.

Well, as said he's chill. But then, why wouldn't he be, considering:
1) he's a millionarie,
2) he can't do **** about it
3) minecraft is a builder survival evolution of a cancelled team dig-for-gold competitive indie game effectively being a unique title on it's own, while fortresscraft will be a complete and utter minecraft clone for about a year (according to the episodic design currently announced) with especially ****TY parallax and hdr 'graphics' on top. Guess who wins points for originality?

Also, piracy != theft, but = copyright infringement. Legal precedent says so.

Of course, that won't stop big publishers from tooting the "OMFG PIRATE THEFTS" horn whenever their sales are less than projected.
Which, of course, is wholly unrelated to their games actually sucking in some form or other. No game ever failed economically because it was BAD.

Gotta stifle the used games market too, can't have people saving money through good old fashioned supply&demand.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Well, as said he's chill. But then, why wouldn't he be, considering:
1) he's a millionarie,
2) he can't do **** about it

I considred that before you mentioned, but perhaps he could have been resentful (Maybe he is, but yeah, point 1 and 2 covers that well). Of course, the replicas won't hit the million mark, but it's still annoying and unoriginal to see.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
I considred that before you mentioned, but perhaps he could have been resentful (Maybe he is, but yeah, point 1 and 2 covers that well). Of course, the replicas won't hit the million mark, but it's still annoying and unoriginal to see.

Everything gets copied. :eek:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, there's a difference, but it's just semantics and there's no point in pointing it out unless you want to be a giant douche bag. Which apparently all copyright infringers like to be to justify their actions. :rolleyes:

For all intents and purposes, which would be the ethics of it, it is the exact same if not worse than theft.

Also, piracy != theft, but = copyright infringement. Legal precedent says so.

Actually, if you want to argue semantics, according to wikipedia, "In some jurisdictions, theft is considered to be synonymous with larceny; in others, theft has replaced larceny." and larceny is, "a crime involving the wrongful acquisition of the personal property of another person."

Copyright infringement is also, "a crime involving the wrongful acquisition of the personal property of another person."

Therefore copyright infringement = theft. (Disclaimer: in some jurisdictions)

Owned bitches. :lol:

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You can't really justify piracy. There is no good excuse to do it.

But it doesn't mean the publishers should be focusing all their time, attention and money on that crap. I talked to one of my buddies ion the industry the other day and he told me that the copy protection on their last PC game (which was a few years ago, he didn't mention what it was) cost nearly 1/4th of the development cost of the game in the end between licensing and unit royalties. That's just ridiculous.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Everything gets copied. :eek:

eehhhh. Technically, yes. There are a hundred typical CS:S-like shooters out there for free on the net. But seriously, a game as unique and original as Minecraft? People could compare Minecraft to Lego's and farmville, that's probably the best similarities.

There's being inspired, and there's the copy-paste.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Look at it this way.
You sell 1 copy of your game.
25 million people pirate it, and like it.
The next game you sell. Every one buys it.
Because they liked the last one.

Bad example

You sell 1 copy of that game and 25 million pirate it. You go bankrupt because you didn't make back any money, and thus no second game.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
The problem is, how can you define, essentially, copying 1s and 0s as equal to stealing actual physical materials. Obviously if you steal from the store, you've taken more than just 1s and 0s. You've taken physical materials that cannot be replaced. If you copy a game, the original is still where it was before, you've just recreated it somewhere else. So how did you cause the loss of anything material?

I think focusing on the "piracy is not theft" part of what he said is ignoring what he's trying to say anyway. We've all said this before (or, at least, some of us). Publishers need to figure out how they can thrive without noticing, mentioning or even CARING about piracy at all, because there is never going to be a day when a set of 1s and 0s cannot be, effectively, stolen.

A good way they can start is by pricing non-blockbuster games more appropriately. I wonder what Bulletstorm's PC sales numbers are like and how soon piracy will be blamed for whatever they are. Here's reality: Bulletstorm is not a $60 game.

It's a difficult situation as far as definition goes. To say that it is theft is, strictly speaking, inaccurate, as, which has been said a number of times, nothing is actually being removed from one person's possession. On the other hand, to say that it is copying is to almost necessarily deny that there is a crime being committed and that this type of crime does deny the ability of the devs/publishers to make money they otherwise would have (obviously there is no 1-1 ratio, or even, probably, a 1-5 ratio, but there is still a large amount of money that would have been made had the copy not been pirated).

I don't agree that publishers need to find a way to ignore piracy, and I support DRM, but far too much time has been spent thinking how to punish violators and far too little time on thinking about how it affects legitimate customers. A service like Steam works, in my opinion, as the benefits provided far outweigh the annoyances (that you have to validate it online, even for retail copies), a service like what Ubisoft tried, on the other hand, doesn't, as it punishes people for an ISP outage and provides them with no actual benefits. Obviously, anything can be cracked and broken, and for anyone to insist that there is a way to stop that is silly. All that can be done is to make it enough of a hassle that casual pirates will buy the game out of annoyance and that won't make paying customers have to undergo the same trials.

Pricing is an avenue to pursue, but I wonder how feasible it is to price a AAA game at a lower level and hope for more sales. What is the drop off point with that? Unless non-casual gaming reaches the numbers of casual gaming, I just don't see the kind of sales base to support that, as much as I wish it existed.

~Jason

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Stealing digitally vs stealing from a disk in the sense that they are both just copies and therefore is not actual theft argument becomes flawed when viewed in the sense of intellectual property.

Is it not theft if someone pirated a copy of the UE3 source code? It is only ones and zeroes is it not?

Clearly it is that the billions of ones and zeroes of the game are organized in a fashion that makes it a game. It is the blueprints for your computer to process and render the software. In linking it to car example, it would be if everyone owned a car factory (computer), and people stole the blueprints for how to assemble the car (software).

It may not be loss of a sale in that respect, but it is still IP theft.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
I talked to one of my buddies ion the industry the other day and he told me that the copy protection on their last PC game (which was a few years ago, he didn't mention what it was) cost nearly 1/4th of the development cost of the game in the end between licensing and unit royalties. That's just ridiculous.

True piracy in action! :eek:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's a difficult situation as far as definition goes. To say that it is theft is, strictly speaking, inaccurate, as, which has been said a number of times, nothing is actually being removed from one person's possession. On the other hand, to say that it is copying is to almost necessarily deny that there is a crime being committed and that this type of crime does deny the ability of the devs/publishers to make money they otherwise would have (obviously there is no 1-1 ratio, or even, probably, a 1-5 ratio, but there is still a large amount of money that would have been made had the copy not been pirated).
I think, as others have said, that copyright infringement is probably a more appropriate term given the context. I do agree that a crime of some kind is certainly being committed.
I don't agree that publishers need to find a way to ignore piracy, and I support DRM, but far too much time has been spent thinking how to punish violators and far too little time on thinking about how it affects legitimate customers. A service like Steam works, in my opinion, as the benefits provided far outweigh the annoyances (that you have to validate it online, even for retail copies), a service like what Ubisoft tried, on the other hand, doesn't, as it punishes people for an ISP outage and provides them with no actual benefits. Obviously, anything can be cracked and broken, and for anyone to insist that there is a way to stop that is silly. All that can be done is to make it enough of a hassle that casual pirates will buy the game out of annoyance and that won't make paying customers have to undergo the same trials.
When I say "ignore it" I mostly mean "stop putting so much focus on it". I don't think that the increase in sales is worth what is done to combat the problem. I still think that a CD Key (that is validated for online play) and simple disc-based or Steam-alike DRM is plenty of protection against casual piracy.

Mainly, publishers need to stop looking at pirates as lost sales and start looking at them as potential sales. They need to figure out how they can turn them into customers, not how they can stop them from doing something they are going to be able to figure out how to do eventually anyway.
Pricing is an avenue to pursue, but I wonder how feasible it is to price a AAA game at a lower level and hope for more sales. What is the drop off point with that? Unless non-casual gaming reaches the numbers of casual gaming, I just don't see the kind of sales base to support that, as much as I wish it existed.
I don't know how they compare. I think a game like Bulletstorm just doesn't have enough content or enough so-called "hype" to justify anything more than $40. I don't think it has enough of either of those things to convince people to ZOMG BUY at $60, certainly.

Is it not theft if someone pirated a copy of the UE3 source code? It is only ones and zeroes is it not?
I would say, in that specific case, the "theft" part would be what you would have to do to get the source code and start distributing it.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
Actually, if you want to argue semantics, according to wikipedia, "In some jurisdictions, theft is considered to be synonymous with larceny; in others, theft has replaced larceny." and larceny is, "a crime involving the wrongful acquisition of the personal property of another person."

Copyright infringement is also, "a crime involving the wrongful acquisition of the personal property of another person."

Therefore copyright infringement = theft. (Disclaimer: in some jurisdictions)

Owned bitches. :lol:
Actually, if you want to argue semantics...

Merriam Webster said:
personal property
noun
Definition of PERSONAL PROPERTY
: property other than real property consisting of things temporary or movable : chattels
Examples of PERSONAL PROPERTY

1. <any personal property that is left in the lockers overnight will be impounded>
note 'real property,' and 'movable'

To further clarify, let's go to 'chattels'....

Merriam Webster said:
chat·tel
noun \ˈcha-təl\
Definition of CHATTEL
: an item of tangible movable or immovable property except real estate and things (as buildings) connected with real property
: slave, bondman
Software doesn't qualify as personal property, bitch.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
internet sers bizniss

Also, you aren't allowed to directly insult, only indirectly insult on this forum! :mad:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Actually, if you want to argue semantics...

note 'real property,' and 'movable'

To further clarify, let's go to 'chattels'....

Software doesn't qualify as personal property, bitch.
Not so fast. Copyright laws give the copyright owner sole authority over how, when, where, why and to whom the copyrighted property is distributed. On that same token, patents can be considered personal property.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
A good way they can start is by pricing non-blockbuster games more appropriately. I wonder what Bulletstorm's PC sales numbers are like and how soon piracy will be blamed for whatever they are. Here's reality: Bulletstorm is not a $60 game.

exactly, I think if publishers started pricing more appropiately we'll see more sales and less pirating. You see similar behaviour when, e.g. gas prices skyrocket the incidents of people siphoning gas or even stealing it from gas stations(one of my neighbours had his license plates stolen, which were used to gas up at several stations the next day).