Epic Releases December 2009 Update for UDK

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Today Epic has announced the general availability of the December 2009 update for the Unreal Development Kit. Among new features added to this release are:

• DLLBind - Allows UDK to interface with external C++ DLLs.
  • InteractiveFoliageActor - Allows level designers to place foliage, like grass, that moves as you walk through it and sways back as you pass through.
  • 3DS Max 2010 ActorX Support - Pretty obvious
  • Lots of Other Things - Which can be found here

As usual, you can download this new version right here on BeyondUnreal.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
DLLBind - it seems somewhat similar to JNI (i.e. it's C, not C++), except that you can't pass object references and only a limited set of types is supported as parameter and return types.

It's basically the same as native code, except with arms, legs and head chopped off. ;)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
DLLBind - it seems somewhat similar to JNI (i.e. it's C, not C++), except that you can't pass object references and only a limited set of types is supported as parameter and return types.

It's basically the same as native code, except with arms, legs and head chopped off. ;)
doesn't sound like much of a limitation to me, unless of course you're comparing it the the native code interface for licensees (but they're paying for the license and we don't).

A basic interface to a database-layer or controlling hardware through a serialport shouldn't be too difficult.
Adapters are your friend here I'd say.
I've had to write DLL's with similar restrictions at work.