Need advice - level attached

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Paladin

Where do I mount the silencer?
Jan 4, 2000
QBVille
www.quirkybastards.net
Hello.

This is it...my first level that isn't total garbage. It's still a work in progress, and I'd appreciate some of you taking a look at it and offer ideas on how I can improve it. I also have a few problems I can't seem to fix.

Problem 1: If you stand on the orange light in the main room and look at the ledge up and to the left, there is a HoM effect. As far as I can tell, it is only visible when standing on the light.

Problem 2: There is another HoM on the upper level. If you stand in the upper room with the hole in the floor, and look at the hallway on the left side of the ledge above, it is visible. There's two of these rooms, only one has the error. I don't know which.

Problem 3: All 4 of my lifts seem to continue playing the lift sound effect even after the lift stops moving. I've looked through the sound effects and all the lift effects I could find were looped...I can't find any way to make them stop.

Those are the biggies. I have a lot of texture alignment left to do, and I'm not sure if I should choose a different texture set...especially for the big room. Finally, there's no bot pathing yet.

All constructive criticism is welcome.

A_Huge_Sweaty_Baboon

The Baboon... HAS.... SPOKEN
Aug 12, 2000
My Groin Is Sore
Visit site
First off: The good points

Great polycounts over the whole level, never goes over 120 :D :D

Good use of Health Vials, they are a good sound clue for others to use.

But: The Many Bad Points

The level is WAY to cramped, there is no room to jump or move around in some of the tunnels.

Getting stuck behind the spiral staircase isnt a good thing.

As you mentioned, the textures need aligning, make sure to align the vertical poly's of the stairs.

What's the deal with the lava? If you fall down the hole above you can land on the edge, make the lava pits a bit bigger if you want them to be a death trap, and loose the rim on the hole entrance above.

Dont let people fall out of the snipers nest, and the lifts up there can be rather painful if you jump up while moving out into the middle chamber off the moving lift, you will bouce off the roof and fall down, cratering no matter what heath you have. (This may be a good point :D)

The level looks a bit, how you say, dull, the middle chamber needs a bit more decorating (and thanks to your delightfully low polycounts you can do this nicely :D)

Lastly: The Help

Your lifts keep making the noise cause you have loops in the 'closing' and 'opening' places in the moverProperties, just have the looping sound you want to use in the 'move ambient sound' place, not in the places mentioned above.
Also, when you give out a level, put a DM- or CTF- in the title so it will show up in the UT maps lists.

Its a good attempt, but needs alot of work.
Feel free to send me money

Paladin

Where do I mount the silencer?
Jan 4, 2000
QBVille
www.quirkybastards.net
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for not flinging poo at me Mr. Baboon! :-D

I appreciate the feedback on the level. The narrowness of some of the corridors is something I am concerned about. It's hard to tell in the editor what will be cramped in the game. But, that's part of the learning curve.

The lava is intended primarily as a light source, although I have fallen into it on occassion when trying to jump it as a shortcut between health-vial corridors. I also haven't ever managed to land safely on the ledge when jumping down from above...I always end up doing a belly flop into the lava. As a trap, it's meant only to catch the really careless.

With the polys so low, how necessary is it to zone the level? Where would be the best places to put the zone portals? Any ideas on more suitable textures?

Thanks for letting me know how to fix my lift sounds. The tutorial I read made it sound like the openning/closing sounds were only supposed to play when the lift was in motion. I'll also add some decoration. Are there any big fluttering banners in the built-in meshes, a'la (gasp, heresy!) Quake 2 level 1?