E3 2011: What's going on?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Post random E3 stuff in this thread. I want to point out Rayman: Origins looks awesome. EA's feeble attempts to promote Origin were pathetic. Ubisoft's presenter couldn't make a hyena laugh.

PRESS X TO NOT DIE BEFORE THE NEXT POST

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I'm waiting for more details on the new Zelda game.

also, Mass Effect 3 gameplay demo.
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/06/e3-2011-mass-effect-3-gameplay-demo

also, the new Assassin's Creed will be the last game focusing on Ezio.
they are bringing back Altair as well. parts of the game will require Ezio to endure flashbacks and relive key moments in Altair's life (evens that presumably came after the conclusion of AC1). new gameplay elements will be introduced for both characters including flashbang "grenades," zip-lines for fast travel, and ice-pick-style hooks for easier grappling.

[screenshot]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/117/1172904/assassins-creed-revelations-20110606095321528.jpg[/screenshot]

Last edited:

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Vita is a dumb name. However seems rather nicely priced.

BF3 looks goddamn amazing.

MW3 looks like it'll suck but i'll probably buy it anyway.

Kinect was only made to make people look like morons.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I am drooling all over SSX. I want to play it so badly. Tomb Raider is looking very promising, and boy oh boy did that BF3 stuff look pretty. Really cool stuff.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
It hasn't been dying, but it's been going mainstream. The things that we knew and loved are no longer an integral part of it. It feels... hollow.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
PS2 generation might have an edge though.

Maybe I should have said "dying" instead. What I mean is that we're all super jaded and think that the industry is going to hell and not taking any reasonable view of the damn thing. Yes things are going mainstream and yes some genres are dying out but there's new stuff popping up that's also good and people seem way too keen on forgetting the good and bemoaning the bad.

It's always been like this. The industry has been perpetually disappointing people for decades and all the generations have had their crap. In fact, most games have been crap. It's only a few exceptional ones we remember.

This E3 so far is looking like a lot of crap with a little bit of good stuff that will overshadow the crap. Same as always.

Oh, and some big console announcements or something. Whatever.

EDIT: Also I have no ****ing clue what Bioshock Infinite is going to be like, even after watching all that gameplay footage. Ugh.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
It's only a few exceptional ones we remember.

*glaces over at pile of 100+ snes, n64 and old pc games*

*looks back at $1000+ worth of newer consoles and the sparse 15 or so games around them*

This E3 so far is looking like a lot of crap with a little bit of good stuff that will overshadow the crap. Same as always.

Actually this has been the best E3 I've seen in years. The last other 6, 7 or 8 E3s I've only liked maybe 2 or 3 games.

This one I've liked so far: Tomb Raider, Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 3, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, FarCry 3 (lol 3's), Bioshock Infinite, Batman Arkham City, Dead Island.

Not personal fans of these at all, but I know a lot of people are looking toward: Human Revolution, Skyrim, Ninja Gaiden 3, Halo 4(singleplayer is okay).

So hell, best lineup I've seen in 7 or 8 years. :eek:

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
What I mean is that we're all super jaded and think that the industry is going to hell and not taking any reasonable view of the damn thing. Yes things are going mainstream and yes some genres are dying out but there's new stuff popping up that's also good and people seem way too keen on forgetting the good and bemoaning the bad.
...k, I see what you're saying.

but then the problem is "you," and not the gaming industry.
right?

if you're "perpetually disappointed," then your expectations are off base.
if games are just another medium for escapism entertainment (such as books, movies, and TV shows) then the gaming industry is at least par for the course.

there's hundreds of new movies each year.
thousands of new books.
numerous new TV shows.

most of them suck.
because why? because they want to sell.
in order to sell as many units as possible, you've gotta' appeal to the widest base which often means catering to the lowest common denominator.

but you wouldn't expect that every book you read is going to be THE BEST you've ever read.
you certainly wouldn't expect every movie you saw to be as good as THE BEST movie you've ever seen.

and you have to know by now that the gaming industry has come full circle.
it's big business. there's big, BIG bucks at stake here.
you've gotta' know that like movies, video games are going to compete using the corporate model of franchising (Halo's, COD's, GoW's, etc). most of them are going to fall victim to the plague of generalization.

so just the same, you've gotta' know that in spite of this reality, there are still extremely fine gems to be dug out of the dirt. yes, the majority of video games released each year are going to be rather droll. and if you keep expecting that to change then you will forever be let down.

but for every cheap summer blockbuster, there's going to be a groundbreaking hit. for everything that makes you yawn, there's going to be one that captivates you. you might have to rake the muck, but they'll be there. there's always diamonds in the rough and you won't know which is which until you've got your hands on them.

just be patient and keep your expectations in check.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I won't argue about the line-up of games this year. I'm not interested in too many titles this year. Maybe I'm jaded like everyone else!

But...

*glaces over at pile of 100+ snes, n64 and old pc games*

*looks back at $1000+ worth of newer consoles and the sparse 15 or so games around them*

Yeah I definitely do not remember 100+ good n64 games. Or 100+ good SNES games. And even if you take away the last 10 years PC games have had like 25+ years to make 100+ good titles. Newer consoles have not.

15 games for the newer consoles that you consider good? I'm looking at my collection of just this generation consoles and have twice as much as you're counting (good games mind you), and I'm not even looking at the PC. Last generation (PS2, Xbox, GC) only had slightly more purchases and this generation isn't even finished yet.

I'm not going to say there have been more good games out these past years than the last decade, but I will say that the number of quality games out there hasn't changed much. It's more to do with nostalgia and bias than anything factual when it comes to claims of gaming death and **** like that.

EDIT: Also Jacks I'm not referring to myself when I say people are dissappointed with new generations and all that. I'm saying that there's a lot of people with that mindset. I think games are doing just fine (with a few caveats). In fact I really agree with what you're saying, and possibly was trying to emphasize that point. Most games are ****, there are a few good ones.

One thing that I think makes people think the past was any better is that they're piling up all the gaming gems from multiple generations and then unfairly comparing them to like, one or two years worth of current games.

But we seem to agree, and this is derailing the thread. E3 Stuff is happening. New Sony handheld and a stupid 3D TV. Bunch of games. Some of them good!

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
right, I don't mean you Trynant.
it's "you" as in; anyone who might think along these lines.

ETHREETWENTYELEVEN

they need to develop 3D contact lenses.
or more stylish 3D glasses.
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/06/06/photo_2_610x458.JPG[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/06/06/photo%282%29_610x458.JPG[/SCREENSHOT]

that would be the TV.
this must be the handheld.
vitafront.jpg

vitabottom.jpg

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think for the most part games are fine. I just don't get the prevalence of QTEs in every freaking game now.