Impaler Release (cut gun from Unreal)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Impaler10.rar
This is the infamous "Impaler" that was once thought to be lost, now finished up in working form for regular Unreal.

Impaler 1.0 release

This is a conversion/finish up of the unfinished gun found in one 1997 Unreal prototype.

This is the later version of the gun, there used to be a different one in earlier builds before all the old style levels were dumped, but this version was not preserved except for its mesh import code and the fact that it used two slot skin and was meant to be like the description in Unreal Bible.

So this gun is not like the one from Unreal Bible, but it's based on similar concept, both are skaarj energy spears. This one however sports a charged tarydium crystal which wasn't at the old one and its firemodes are different too. Primary fire launches a single rapid bolts which are quicker, secondary fire launches the electrified tarydium bolt whole.

This took rather long time to finish up, though I plan to have the gun more enhanced for the Unreal PSX release.

Mesh was extracted by AlCapowned and he made select/down anims. I made third person/pickup meshes just by simple edits of the originals and I added multiskin slot for the "lightning" so a fire texture would be applied which I think was the intention, seeing that the electricity mesh did get a firetexture too and was originally without in the "prototype".

Speaking of electricity, I originally had a rather "complex" script updating the rotation and everything (which a bit of is left commented out still in the script but mostly removed) of the mesh so it would correctly align itself to a surface, except that it had troubles with geometry made out of intersecting lots of things together and slopes, so the easiest route for me was to extract and import the electricity mesh again but with updated fixed rotation.

I used the ambient lightning sound from Unreal 2 "leech gun/spider gun". The rest of the sounds come from the unreal protos.

There is a trick to push off titan's boulders by timing your shots when he throws the rocks, I found that out in the original '97 summer proto the Impaler is from (though it had no maps but by adding titan in the editor you could play with it). It was easier done there though, so I had to resort to the splash radius trick here. It took some time to debug all this too, the original script did not work at all of course.

One of other tricks I had to resort to is updating by script the player's tarydiumammo by having the ammo count display on the slot seven too (which impaler was originally on, along with razorjack I guess). I did not want to make a new ammo type and the original description named it would have same ammo as stinger anyway.

Oh and summon is of course Impaler.Impaler, duh.

- Leo(T.C.K.)

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Reported issue on 227 OU:
Primary fire doesn't have sound, for some reason.
Well the sound is on the projectile but I made it to be more accurate conversion. I made this on 225 and tested extensively with 226. And then I find out that 227 breaks something again.

As for where this was found, it was among those "newly" recovered standalone "unrealed" builds, as mentioned many times in the alpha research thread.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Hmmmmm...interesting.....i might check this out. I have Unreal Gold from Anthology installed and checked the [first run] section in the Unreal.ini and it says I have 226 installed. So, if that is correct, I should be able to check this out. Will try to get back to this thread soon.

How will this work with the game? Will it be another weapon to choose from? Will it mess up saved games? Thank you.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
[]KAOS[]Casey;2596831 said:
Works in Galaxy/FModEX, but not OpenAL/FMOD.

The question now is "why"; I know the fmod/alaudio libs don't like certain sounds that work fine on Galaxy

It appears to work fine in unrealed, so it's probably related to 3d positioning.
I opened it in UnrealEd and the sound played fine as well so I was wondering the same thing, the altfire projectile spawnsound plays fine ingame though. So wtf. The old FMod versions work fine too with it. Perhaps for next version I should have it play by the weapon as is standard but I just wanted to have it this way for a change especially since the sound can change a bit depending on the position having it different feel.

As for the other question (SkaarjMaster), it shouldn't mess up save games, it's just a weapon to summon and will work on the ammo from stinger, tbh the gun seems to fit castle/dungeon environments well, hence why it will eventually be at the skaarj fortress final level in episode 1 of upsx.

The first level in regular game where this gun might fit well would be dark arena, but perhaps too powerful so early, not sure.

Last edited:

Smirftsch

May 9, 2000
www.oldunreal.com
Reported issue on 227 OU:
Primary fire doesn't have sound, for some reason.
Well the sound is on the projectile but I made it to be more accurate conversion. I made this on 225 and tested extensively with 226. And then I find out that 227 breaks something again.

As for where this was found, it was among those "newly" recovered standalone "unrealed" builds, as mentioned many times in the alpha research thread.

Reported? where? Must have missed ^^, but kinda overworked in the last weeks. It's no specific 227 problem, rather is in OpenAL and FModAudio, works in Galaxy and SWFMod in 227 as well.

Either way, problem is, that it is missing LightBrightness in DefaultProperties. LightBrightness is used in some cases to calculate soundvolume. In OpenAL and FModAudio it is not checked if LightBrightness is set and is multiplies the volume if LightType is set with LightBrightness. Now if LightBrightness is multiplied with 0...well don't need to be a rocket scientist.
Fixed for next version of 227 to avoid doing that if LightBrightness is not set or 0.

For now just set some value in LightBrightness in DefaultProperties and it will work in both 226+OMP and 227 using OpenAL or FMod.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Reported? where? Must have missed ^^, but kinda overworked in the last weeks. It's no specific 227 problem, rather is in OpenAL and FModAudio.

Either way, problem is, that it is missing LightBrightness in DefaultProperties. LightBrightness is used in some cases to calculate soundvolume. In OpenAL and FModAudio it is not checked if LightBrightness is set and is multiplies the volume if LightType is set with LightBrightness. Now if LightBrightness is multiplied with 0...well don't need to be a rocket scientist.
Fixed for next version of 227 to avoid doing that if LightBrightness is not set or 0.

For now just set some value in LightBrightness in DefaultProperties and it will work in both 226+OMP and 227.
Interesting, never thought that LightBrightness would have effect on sound travel. :lol:
Don't get why it was that way in OpenAL to begin with? Well...

As for reported I meant reported to me personally, not that the bug was reported somewhere publicly before.

Smirftsch

May 9, 2000
www.oldunreal.com
Interesting, never thought that LightBrightness would have effect on sound travel. :lol:
Don't get why it was that way in OpenAL to begin with? Well...

As for reported I meant reported to me personally, not that the bug was reported somewhere publicly before.

Galaxy does that as well, just the implementation is different. A good example for LightBrightness affecting volume is the energy barrier down in the caves in bluff.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Galaxy does that as well, just the implementation is different. A good example for LightBrightness affecting volume is the energy barrier down in the caves in bluff.
I don't think I ever realized that to be honest. I vaguely remember hearing about something like that but *shrugs*
Doesn't really make much sense though imo.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
That reminds me, some of the 97 maps have ambientsounds on light actors and in the release version the sound radius is too low to hear, I think the light "sound travel" was much higher back then. There are still some I missed in "Found98".

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Good work Leo...thanks. Kind of uninspired weapon though....I can see why it was cut. The model is cool anyhow.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Good work Leo...thanks. Kind of uninspired weapon though....I can see why it was cut. The model is cool anyhow.
Yea it feels a bit dull but if I tweak it more for UPSX rework it could become a better weapon and imo it still is better weapon than what stinger is in the release version. And it's another alien weapon, not a human one like quadshot or the terran weapons in rtnp. I am curious how the original Impaler looked like though, its behavior is described in unbible, but there was existing model before. Unfortunately I don't think it will ever get out there, the old late 96/early 97 model. That version of the weapon sounded rather overpowered though.

(7) Impaler
Damage: energy blast = 20 Energy beam = 10 damage per second per creature
Fire 1: Fire button 1 shoots out a blast of energy. Laser type beam.
Fire 2: Fire button 2 shoots out a seeking beam of energy
Ammo: Tarydium
Description: This weapon is a Skaarj energy spear, powered by tarydium.
When Fire button 2 is pressed, a continuous beam is shot out which homes in on any enemies nearby.
The beam arcs out along a splined path travelling through enemies, seeking the next enemy. The beam has a specific radius of curvature. This beam has two benefits over the Fire button 1 energy blast:
1) it can hit more than 1 enemy
2) it does not require aiming
3) the beam is continuously hurting the creatures as long at it is hitting them.
The downside is that the beam must be constantly heald on the creature to do lots of damage.
Fire button 1 uses 1 ammo and fires at a rate of 3 blasts per second. Fire button 2 uses 4 ammo per second.
Impaler will not work under water.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Hmmm....overpowered and a bit spammy. The use sounds a bit like the later link gun; the arc that needs no aiming, etc. I agree that the stinger is a bit lame and yes, the impaler trumps that one.

Good work anyhow mate...always appreciate these things.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Hmmm....overpowered and a bit spammy. The use sounds a bit like the later link gun; the arc that needs no aiming, etc. I agree that the stinger is a bit lame and yes, the impaler trumps that one.

Good work anyhow mate...always appreciate these things.
Thanks. But stinger itself didn't use to be so lame but it became more lame towards the release version. The early version of stinger had the tarydium pumping into creatures feature still. Meaning you shoot enough shards into enemy and then when triggered they cause actual burning of the crature depending on how much tarydium has been pumped into its blood basically. And the altfire wasn't shotgun like fire but instead a spray three round burst fire in pattern like this: - - - sort of like the way mercs fire their weapon or even that unused player animation(i suppose those were meant for the flamegun-flamethrower-napalmgun-biorifle weapons though. Speaking of flamethrower it would be useful if someone with modelling skills finished the model, in the builds it was found it had no animations yet and yes it is completely different than biorifle. Napalmgun was same mesh as biorifle alerady though and replaced flamethrower just different skin has been used and it behaved a bit dfferently, then around september
it got changed into the biorifle skin, but darker version but was still called napalmgun although the behavior of the gun was now identical to biorifle except it shot exploding napalm instead of "biogel" officially. The sludge ammo remained unchanged for both though. And also it dealt burning damage. Then later it got changes into GES Biorifle and damage to corroded but initially still having the darker skin and the projs still "exploded" even though they were corrosive and well after that it finally became the biorifle we know.
And if you want to go even before the "flamethrower" there used to be the flamegun, again different model, no skin but animations yes, doesn't really work in the 0.83 and 0.84 builds although its apparent it did work before or after those versions. That gun, guessing, wa supposed to be gas based flame spitting gun, using two different fireballs for both firemodes, one of the firemodes probbaly having more continuous fire.
Btw version 88 has also burned skin that is applied to pawns if they have been damaged by burned damage. This was obviously dropped too, but version 88 has already the corrosive biorifle so usually the only way to see it is to get gasbag kill you or another creature or get burned by "lava" or something.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I realize that in the original script the "grow" anim of impaler is actually not used, but I believe it was meant to be used with the altfire after it finished firing so you see the crystal regrow just like you see it now after switching to impaler. I will have to fix that with the next release or something. Just something I didn't realize/notice before.

Status
Not open for further replies.