Gamefront bans half of the world

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
Important news for modders and mod users, and I don't think anyone's created a topic about this yet so I'll post one for modders & mappers.

This has been going on for some time, you can't download from Gamefront if you live in one of the following countries:

Argentina
Mexico
Chile
Spain
Thailand
Poland
Colombia
Brazil
France
Venezuela
Italy
Peru
Uruguay
Malaysia
Turkey
Indonesia
India
Ecuador
Costa Rica
Honduras
Hungary
Philippines
Portugal
Romania
Russian Federation
Serbia
Singapore
Sweden
Japan
Indonesia

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Important news for modders and mod users, and I don't think anyone's created a topic about this yet so I'll post one for modders & mappers.

This has been going on for some time, you can't download from Gamefront if you live in one of the following countries:

They banned Russia close to 3-4 years ago. This is actually dumb, as they have one of my mutators up for downloading. What's shitty about this ban is that you don't know you're banned. Download just fails saying there's no such file.

Last edited:

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
FileFront is in the process of being archived and taken offline for good. Not completely relevant to the thread, although it's something you should keep an eye out for.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Thanks for the list. Very useful to see all the Countries blocked so far.

It is what happens to all file-store sites that grow too big. They cannot afford to continue paying the extra overheads, and so become full of ads, then subscription-based, then die.

They all say they are archiving content before they close, without ever stopping to think "It is already an archive". It makes it sound like they are doing something useful, rather than actually deleting files.

Use Mapraider.
All files include multiple mirrors and p2p links, so even if the server was off-line or being DDoSed.
Mapraider uses the power of the people, and no county can be blocked.

It can take longer for files to appear on Mapraider, but that is because FreakinMeany inspects all uploads first. Personally I don't mind the delay as I know why it is there, and it makes me trust the downloads more.