STOP HITTING YOURSELF!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
I never really played Unreal1, so I don't know if it ever happened with that. What I do know is it does happen in ut99 fairly often.

Skaarj slashing at nothing and damaging themselves.

00dcxyap.png

I don't know what starts it but they keep doing it until they're dead. I don't know that I've seen any of the other monsters do this, just the Skaarj.

Both the Skaarj military and the Skaarj with the claws.

Thoughts?

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
You've summoned an unskinned monster or something that isn't a complete set within your game.

Play the same map and run it under my MH2 mod. I'll bet you see a health overlay hovering an invisible monster of some type.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
I'm not sure if that'd work

Play the same map and run it under my MH2 mod. I'll bet you see a health overlay hovering an invisible monster of some type.
It isn't a MonsterHunt map, it's Deathmatch.
I think it's actually triggered by falling damage as it's considered "selfdamage" ;)
Why would "falling damage" make a Skaarj go all melee on the thin air?

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
You can force load the MH2 controller on any gametype. I used to run a demo DM server that had it running on it.

This has nothing to do with falling and monsters cannot melee damage themselves.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
No, they can't.

Why am I even bothering to keep debating this with you? It's not like I'm shooting from the hip and I've never cracked open monster code. Base monster code prevents self melee damage so if it happens in any form then it's because some idiot coder turned it all off. It's not ever going to happen with default monsters, period.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
not as such

oh snap!

gopostal scores a critical hit against evilgrins.
it's super effective!
I'm not trying to win anything here and he's saying something can't happen which actually does happen with normal monsters. He can say that as much as he likes but these are the normal Skaarj that come with the game, despite what skins I put on them.

They do melee against nothing and they do, eventually, kill themselves.

I've got no reason to make this up. I just want to know why they do it in the first place.
No, they can't.

Base monster code prevents self melee damage so if it happens in any form then it's because some idiot coder turned it all off. It's not ever going to happen with default monsters, period.
These are normal Skaarj. Taken from Unreali.u and the only thing I did to them is change their skins and turn off their projectiles. Long before I edited maps at all, straight up just summoning them from Unreali, long before any monster mutators existed, I ran into this same issue.

So, yeah, they can. Don't believe me, that's up to you. If you can't tell me why they do this then you're not contributing anything helpful repeatedly saying they can't do something they clearly are doing.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
This is a really known SetEnemy bug. Can also happen in bad scripted events (and often if you load a map with a different gametype instead the default one).
Don't really know how to fix it but Step 1 is making a new pawn and Step 2 should be about fixing the problem.

All Skaarj Troopers, all Skaarj Warriors and Mercenaries do that.

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I've run MH servers for years and never once have I seen this and I have logged specifically watching monster damage. No other MH admin has ever brought this up and aside from the OldUnreal thread I've never seen it referenced.

Fixing SetEnemy was one of the first things I ever did for MH because of the various problems inherit in the way the code is designed. However it might have been pretty damn helpful grins if you would have mentioned that you were forcing this stuff on non-supported gametypes. Is it any wonder that forcing things causes problems?

Scripted pawns were not designed to be used in DM maps. That's why they score like a regular player kill among a number of other immediate and severe problems. Use the monsters like the community has modded the gametypes for and you won't keep seeing things like this.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
yeah, well...

I've run MH servers for years and never once have I seen this and I have logged specifically watching monster damage. No other MH admin has ever brought this up and aside from the OldUnreal thread I've never seen it referenced.
That likely explains why I knew about this before MH existed, and why I'm only seeing it now on a DM map...

...although, people have been putting monsters onto DM, CTF, AS, and the other original gametypes since ut99 first came out. I've seen it happen on those too.

Last edited: