WikiLeaks

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
It'd be perfect for when she is on the rag.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Your ****ed now.

"The My Lai Massacre (Vietnamese: thảm sát Mỹ Lai [mǐˀ lɐːj]; English pronunciation: /ˌmi:ˈleɪ, ˌmi:ˈlaɪ/ ( listen),[1] Vietnamese: [mǐˀlaːj]) was the mass murder conducted by a unit of the U.S. Army on March 16, 1968 of 347–504 unarmed citizens in South Vietnam, all of whom were civilians and a majority of whom were women, children (including babies) and elderly people."

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre
Relevance? When was the Vietnam War again?

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Your body and even your excretions can be turned blue by improper exposure to silver. I.E. eating it or inhaling silver dust. It's called Argyria.

Blood turning it red would require alot of blood is usually just pinkish and not huge worries. Not sure about red.

Now glow in the dark would be epic.

Edit: This comment no longer makes sense. It was part of thread that has been merged with this 1 for some odd reason.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
So while this is not a good move from a self-preservation standpoint, it sets the precedent that men who believe in something can tell the world their side of the story. This is more noble than following any law, and if it comes at the price of being labeled a criminal then so be it.
Ah, there it is, the idiotic notion that Assange is somehow acting with nobility. To bad you are so wrong. Assange is posting this stuff because he has this extreme anti-US sentiment. It has nothing to do with righting any wrongs, perceived, real or otherwise.

Continue to make the case for censorship if you will, but when that comes back to bite you I'll expect you to shut up and take it.
Censorship? Again, no person has a legal or moral right or freedom to publish that which they do not have permission to publish. You are just as ****ed in the head as Assange if you subscribe to the bull**** you just said.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Censorship? Again, no person has a legal or moral right or freedom to publish that which they do not have permission to publish. You are just as ****ed in the head as Assange if you subscribe to the bull**** you just said.
Don't worry, if he doesn't post his SS#, bank info as I requested, we'll know who the true censorship nazi is ;)

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
Ah, there it is, the idiotic notion that Assange is somehow acting with nobility.

No, I'm declaring that freedom of information is worth fighting for. Even if it is "anti-US" (let me guess which country you live in). I don't care if WikiLeaks publishes a document "proving" that the Holocaust never happened. Let them speak, or when Holocaust Part 2 finds you in its cross-hairs you'll rethink the position that individuals can't spread information without permission from a government.

Again, no person has a legal or moral right or freedom to publish that which they do not have permission to publish. You are just as ****ed in the head as Assange if you subscribe to the bull**** you just said.

Your argument is that I agree with someone you dislike therefore I'm wrong? Everyone has the right to publish anything. Who has the right to tell them otherwise?

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
The person who leaked the documents committed a crime, the person or organisation that published them, i.e. Wikileaks, has not committed a crime. At least do a tiny bit of research before posting.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
oh jesus.
were you born yesterday?

now I can't speak for all "American people," but I can tell you why I personally didn't get my panties in a bunch over the leaked attack helicopter footage. and that's because I live in the real world. I don't pretend that life is perfect or fair or just.

did you even watch the video?
if so, did you have your sound on?

the footage clearly shows the US engaging a group of men only after it was reported that the targets were hostile. they didn't just open fire on them because they were bored and looking for some action. the helicopter circles the area for a long time, all the while discussing with ground troops in the area the possibility that the targets were friendly. field reports indicated that the men may have been carrying weapons and the quality of the on-board video from the chopper makes it difficult to discern otherwise.
the order to lay down fire was not given until after it was determined that one of the men may have been carrying an RPG, another an RPK, and another some kind of long rifle. yeah, it's hard to tell. but assuming that to be the case, the helicopter crew did its job by engaging a potential threat in order to secure the area for nearby ground units.

turns out they weren't hostile.
turns out they weren't carrying any weapons. just cameras and tripods.

you know what?
oh well.
sh*t happens. this is war.
war is not neat and orderly like Stratego.
war is fast, chaotic, uncertain and most definitely unfair.

the reason that people were not more shocked by this footage is because they understand the burden of warfare. decisions are made and carried out with little hesitation. yes, mistakes will sometimes be made, but maintaining the chain of command is imperative. this is just another in a long line of unfortunate circumstances due to the nature of modern warfare. it sucks, but you can't be surprised by it. you can't act like it's some huge deal that we should all cry about.

you know, a hundred years ago this would not have happened because those douche bags wouldn't even be there. the reporters I mean. yes, those reporters were douche bags. and so is every other journalist walking around in the middle of the fight.
they went to a war zone. they knew the risks.
what did they expect?

they wanted their merit badge. they wanted to take a bunch of shocking war photographs to improve their portfolio and boost their resume.
oh goody, just what we needed, more pictures of a war-torn and bullet-ridden sand village. gimme a break, we know what the sh*t looks like. we don't need a bunch of assholes wandering around snapping photos making it more difficult for the allies to distinguish between friend and foe.

can't stand the heat?
get your ass out the kitchen....

This.

Also, While two of the men were reporters with cameras, other men in the group WERE carrying weapons, which was detailed in the report by the ground unit that came into the area at the end of the video.

As for Graf1k's claim that this is fighting censorship: get over yourself. How is posting what is essentially private emails of people engaged in diplomatic conversations fighting censorship? How is leaking the name names of informants fighting censorship?

Like I've said before, I believe that it is important for information to get out when need be, and I believe that leaking information to the press has helped keep our society a free one, but there is a difference between uncovering a wrongdoing and undermining attempts at diplomacy and stability by posting things that have no relevance in uncovering anything but that hurt international relations.

~Jason

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Perhaps we wouldn't have to worry about hurting international relations if our country wasn't engaging in activities that will ... hurt international relations.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
No, I'm declaring that freedom of information is worth fighting for. Even if it is "anti-US" (let me guess which country you live in). I don't care if WikiLeaks publishes a document "proving" that the Holocaust never happened. Let them speak, or when Holocaust Part 2 finds you in its cross-hairs you'll rethink the position that individuals can't spread information without permission from a government.

Yes, I live in the US. So what? My issue is that every government has the right to keep secrets from the rest of the world. Yes, at times these secrets are meant to protect someone, such as an ally. The same goes for individual citizens having the right to privacy.

Now, if these secrets are being kept to cover up criminal activity, there are appropriate channels for whisteblowing. Stealing information that has no bearing on criminal activity and posting it on a website such as Wikileaks is not whisleblowing; it is airing out dirty laundry that should never have seen the light of day.

Your argument is that I agree with someone you dislike therefore I'm wrong? Everyone has the right to publish anything. Who has the right to tell them otherwise?
It has nothing to do with whether I personally find Wikileaks or yourself to be "right" or "wrong"; it is about the law. If the media resorts to operating outside the law to push this information, it is either for the reason that the media is ineffective or, those who do this have an agenda that has nothing to do with freedom of information. Seems to me Assange fits in the latter rather than the former.

The person who leaked the documents committed a crime, the person or organisation that published them, i.e. Wikileaks, has not committed a crime. At least do a tiny bit of research before posting.
You think I do not know that the leaker has broken the law? That fact in no way absolves Wikileaks from its responsibility to abide by the law. There do exist legal methods of obtaining information from the State Department. Taking possession of stolen information is not one of them.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
You think I do not know that the leaker has broken the law? That fact in no way absolves Wikileaks from its responsibility to abide by the law. There do exist legal methods of obtaining information from the State Department. Taking possession of stolen information is not one of them.
Just google pentagon papers. Wikileaks in no way is breaking the U.S. law by releasing the cables. I don't know about other countries but it's probably the same case.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Just google pentagon papers. Wikileaks in no way is breaking the U.S. law by releasing the cables. I don't know about other countries but it's probably the same case.
Again, if this was blowing the whistle on illegal activities covered up by making these documents classified, it would relate directly to your Pentagon Papers case. But, this guy is releasing sensitive documents in an effort to embarrass the US and other countries. It isn't about highlighting illegal activities. To top that off, Assange claims that he has in his possession, and will publish, operational information that would be damaging to the US' abilities to protect its vital interests. And that, my friend, is called espionage and means Assange is a criminal if he publishes what he claims to have.

These leakers and those who would publish such data, such as Ellsberg in the PP case, supposedly do so out of some noble gesture to end alleged atrocities. Most of these persons' actions have proven this to be a fallacy; these people are generally taking on the role of vigilante, which makes their actions no better than those they are attempting to damage or otherwise discredit. And generally speaking, these leaks usually cause more problems for peripheral players than the intended targets.

Last edited: