M4A1 RO979

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
M4A1 RO979 Mutator thread

Okay, since I got the okay from the IMT I decided I'd give it a try and upload my Mutator here. I decided to modify the first post so I can always keep the actual version of the mutator here.

[Actual Version: 1.01Beta]
-WARNING: At least one user reported serious problems after adding the 1.00 version to his Inf install. Said problems could sadly not be reproduced and the user got the mutator running fine after a new Inf install. Since the problem was most probably a conflict with a mutator I advise to at least backup your UT\System folder for easy recovery before trying the new version.
-WARNING: There has been at least one online incident where use of this mutator caused troubles with the HUD. This was the case on an Inf COOP server, although the problems have vanished after changes to the server configuration. Since the old configuration isn't known anymore, please report back if you encounter any HUD troubles.
-WARNING: online use of the new40mm grenade types has NOT been tested and might cause join/respawn lag.

What does this do?
This mutator ADDS a M4 with a Safe/Semi/Burst trigger group (Colt M4 RO979). It uses the SOPMOD M4A1 models and textures, hence the INFMOD WeaponPack 1.5 is required. You can still use the original SOPMOD M4A1 as before. All attachment present for the SOPMOD M4A1 are also present for the RO979.

Version 0.97Beta:
Other changes from the original SOPMOD M4A1 include:
-40mm HE changed from the INFMOD version to the original Inf version.
-40mm Parachute Flare replaced by INFMOD 40mm HEI
-Recoil reduced a bit

New for Version 0.99Beta:
-Changed class from M4A1-Extend to INFc_Weapon-Extend to reduce compatibility issues and load dependency.
-Backup irons sight as present in Carpetsmokers M4A1Improvements mutator (THX Carpet).
-40mm "D1-SD-Tracer" HEI round changed to NGZ-N Incediary - it seems this round really exists for M203 type grenade launchers.
-Fixed some minor issues.

New for Version 1.00Public:
-Added support for more than 4 ammo types (as in new40mm).
-Changed 40mm HE and WS trajectory to better fit the real one.
-Added Parachute Flare as usable grenade type.
-Added XM1060 thermobaric grenade.
-Added option to use M397, M433 and M576 if new40mm mutator is present.
-Removed start nade type selection due to large number of nades.
-Removed safety animation when switching to and from weapon.
-Canged hip and aim views.
-Added MagCheck support.

New for Version 1.01Beta:
-Changed new40mm support so the mutator must be active in order to use
the new grenade types. This was necessary to avoid horrible join/respawn lag
when new40mm package is not present.

State of the mutator is a public/beta, which means I did limited testing on my system, but it still may contain bugs. If you find any please post them in this thread.

Well, the two or three who're going to download this, have fun and don't forget to report back the bugs.

Original First Post:
Quite a while ago I asked in the IMT Weapon pack 1.5 thread wether it was possible to have a Semi/Burst version of the M4A1. As I was a tad bored recently and started to fool around in Uscript I ended up with a mutator that does this for me. Now I might consider making this mutator public, but I'd like to ask a few questions here first.

The first question goes to the Infiltration Mod Team: Since I'm basically using a lightly modified version of their code, I would ask if there are any objections from their side to make my mutator public? Of course I noted in every Uscript file and will note in the readme, that the original code was done by the IMT and I only modified it. Also it wouldn't be a standalone mutator but only work with WP151 installed, since it uses the M4A1 as base class.

The second questions is for the "gun nuts" out there: While I know myself that such a weapon (a RO979 M4 with SOPMOD kit) is not in use by an armed force, I think it would be highly doable to build such a weapon - M4 parts are interchangeable and as such adding the SOPMOD kit to a Semi/Burst trigger group should be possible. Any objections from the "gun nuts"? Also is the designation I found perhaps wrong?

The third question is for the whole community: would you guys even be interested in playing with such a weapon? As of now it has the M16 style "counting" burst; a slightly reduced recoil - since I always thought the M4A1s recoil was a tad overdone, especially compared to the Hk416 and SIG551- I set it to a tad higher than the SIG551 right now; attachments are the same as for the M4A1 (only the Parachute flare doesn't yet work properly..).

The fourth question is for all developers and testers left here: Would you be willing to take a look at "my code" - I'm completely new to Uscript and didn't do much coding even before - a tad C, a bit of Java, M-Script and Python. I'd rather not have any "dangerous" code inside because of my lack of knowledge. Also it wouldn't hurt if someone else except me would test it a bit - I'm a (embedded) software tester and I KNOW developers (if you'd actually call me that) don't test their babies right :). Especially since I'm a newbie coder that most probably does newbie coder mistakes..

The last question is for all Uscript experts left: Right now the mutator doesn't work with the original M4A1 mutator. As far as I understand the code this is because the ModifyPlayer function called at the start of the INFMOD_M4A1 mutator searcher for classes, which are "child of M4A1 and not Hk416". If I add a "and not M4A1_RO979" here the two mutators work together without any problem (so far :D). What's the most graceful way of solving this? Right now I added the additonal condition and recompiled the INFMOD_M4A1, BUT that results in a new version - and I'd like to avoid that if possible, since I don't know exactly know what this implies (except for more server mismatches..). My second "thought" was to make a CheckReplacement function call in my mutator to replace any instance of INFMOD_M4A1 with the altered version - it didn't work :(. Basically the only idea I have left (except of the recompile of the INFMOD_M4A1) is to make the new weapon an own class not inherited from the M4A1 - but that's a tad ugly IMHO (keep in mind my knowledge of coding is about that of a newborn pig, so I most probably am wrong here :)). Any alternative ideas are welcome.

Well, I'm awaiting your inputs,

Snakeye :D

Attachments

• INF_M4A1_RO979_BetaRelease99.zip
    149.6 KB · Views: 40
  • M4A1_RO979_BetaRelease101.rar
    254.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

EGM<NL>E

Jul 14, 2005
enschede-netherlands
hi patrick i think the semi/burst trigger group is mostly used by police forces as a patrol carbine, like the ones made by bushmaster, the semi /full auto trigger group is mainly used by the military/spec ops.
but if the parts used are identical to the military variants you can use other trigger groups than the one wich was originally installed by the manufacturer of the m4 or its copies

Last edited:

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
Perhaps you should implement it as a seperate weapon next to the M4a1. it would allow people to have both weapons in their inventory to add to loadouts but without replacing one with the other. This way servers should be comfortable running both the IMT pack and your weapon, and player will be happy as they can choose.

I'd be happy to give it a test for you and report back with any issues. Drop me a PM with a linky.

BTW, i don't know how many people still use the Parachute flares being that they bug up on many maps, as well as many other maps have low ceilings that the shells hit and simply don't go off. Perhaps if you do implement it as a seperate weapon you could replace the parachute flare with something more useful like a 40mm buckshot ammunition for it's M203. Does anyone know which mutator added them in for a number of weapons? I think it might have perhaps been Yurch Nades or something.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Perhaps you should implement it as a seperate weapon next to the M4a1.
Perhaps I should have made it clearer above: The RO979 Mutator adds a M4A1 with Burst group instead of full auto. You can still use the SOPMOD M4A1 as you did before - and in it's current state you can have BOTH a SOPMOD M4A1 AND a M4A1 RO979 in your inventory - and both with the desired attachments.

Also I found a way to make it work with the standard INFMOD weapon pack - only drawback is, that the RO979 mutator needs to be loaded after the Weapon Pack - i.e. must be lower in the mutator list.

I'd be happy to give it a test for you and report back with any issues. Drop me a PM with a linky.
Can do, but it will be a few days, since I'm atm doing a bit more in-game testing with it, to see any obvious fubars on my system. Also I'm thinking of making a few more little changes.

BTW, i don't know how many people still use the Parachute flares being that they bug up on many maps, as well as many other maps have low ceilings that the shells hit and simply don't go off. Perhaps if you do implement it as a seperate weapon you could replace the parachute flare with something more useful like a 40mm buckshot ammunition for it's M203. Does anyone know which mutator added them in for a number of weapons? I think it might have perhaps been Yurch Nades or something.
Already thought of replacing the Parachutes with a different ammo, though I'm leaning thowards the HEI rounds used in the M16A4. In addition I'm not sure if the yurchnades work with the WP. If they do I might consider replacing the white smoke nades with buckshot - if I'm actually able to replace any 40mm ammo type that is :D.

hi patrick i think the semi/burst trigger group is mostly used by police forces as a patrol carbine, like the ones made by bushmaster, the semi /full auto trigger group is mainly used by the military/spec ops.
but if the parts used are identical to the military variants you can use other trigger groups than the one wich was originally installed by the manufacturer of the m4 or its copies
Well, you can find the burst and full-auto trigger groups both on the Colt Military homepage, while the law enforcement homepage only shows the full auto one - sounds a bit like martial law enforcement..

EGM<NL>E

Jul 14, 2005
enschede-netherlands
Well, you can find the burst and full-auto trigger groups both on the Colt Military homepage, while the law enforcement homepage only shows the full auto one - sounds a bit like martial law enforcement..[/QUOTE]

well thats probably the swat only variant :D

Carpetsmoker

Nexus-6
Jan 20, 2008
Netherlands
arp242.net
The new40mm mutator adds buckshot, "bounce", and armor piercing 40mm grenades.
You can just add them ... I already added them to M4 ... But new40mm package will be required on server them, and because stm didn't add it ........

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Looks like changing 40mms was not as hard as I thought - though harder than I thought after a quick glance at the code.

It seems like I'm kinda finished with the changes and feature I wanted - both 40mm HEI and Buckshot made it in. And the new40mm doesn't need to be on the server if you add the class to the package ;), though you'd better give it a different name than before..

Guess I'll try and get Yurches and IMTs approval for a possible public release - and in case I actually get it, bug the server admins to put it on :D

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
Good to hear, and yeah i did misunderstand, but thanks for clearing it up for me.

This is really starting to sound good! I can't see an issue as to why they would say no, but still i hope they say yeas cus this might just get me back to INF.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Beta version uploaded (see first post). Since I did not yet achieve to contact yurch I decided to release the first version with 40mm White Smoke instead of Buckshot. If I have any luck contacting him and getting his approval changing to Buckshot will be done.

Have fun and be sure to report back any bugs/problems.

EDIT: If a moderator could possibly change the thread title to something like "M4A1 RO979 Release Thread" it would better indicate what's in here, don't know if that's possible, I just know it's not possible to do so by editing the first post :D

Last edited:

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Okay, since the next version should be done in the next few days - basically containing a few fixes to increase compatibility - I also researched a bit on the 40mm HEI round implemented by the INFMOD team.

Sadly I wasn't able to find any information on it and to be honest I'm starting to think the "D1-SD Tracer" round is actually a mistaken 40mm AA round used for the Bofors in WWII. They had a "HEI TDI SD" round, which translated to "High Explosive Incendiary Tracer Dark (or Delayed) Ignition Self Destruct" - and once you excange the D1 for DI it seems to fit too well to be a coincidence.

Anyway I found a Polish company claiming to actually produce 40mm LV incendiary rounds (see here: http://www.dezamet.com.pl/dezamet/plakat8b/plakat8b.html) and was quick in changing names and textures, fired up Inf to see if it works - and then got struck by a small voice inside my head asking: "Is it legal to simply use this round?". I'm not going into Warfare Law here, but more like copyright; is it legal to use a round in a mod (i.e. non-commercial project) or do you have to get the companies permission to do so? How did the Inf and INFMOD team handle such things - after all MP5, M4 and the like are trademarks or copyrighted if I'm not mistaken?

Any answer is welome - also if there are some Polish people around who would actually know what the acronym "NGZ-N" stands for I'd also appreciate the information.

And if anyone actually knows how to contact Yurch I'd also appreciate the info - after all I'm close to desperate getting his buckshot round in..

Kueltag

Jan 31, 2008
Am I right that the grenade launcher's trajectory is that of the HK416's? It shouldn't, as the HK has the 9 inch M203, and this one the 12 inch.

Edit: btw. I reached better results with the M433 (using the M16A2) than with the M406.

Last edited:

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Firstly thanks for the feedback.

Am I right that the grenade launcher's trajectory is that of the HK416's? It shouldn't, as the HK has the 9 inch M203, and this one the 12 inch.
Technically it should be the one of the M16A2 for HE and WS since I assumed the trajectory is assigned to the projectile (could be wrong here) and I used the original Inf HE and WS projectiles. IIRC the Hk416 uses the Inf version too. You will be able to see the different trajectories using HE and Incendiary - the incendiary has the same trajectory as the INFMOD HE, which goes further than the Inf HE. I'm currently still figuring out why that is exactly and intend to even the trajectories as soon as I found out how to do so.

Edit: btw. I reached better results with the M433 (using the M16A2) than with the M406.
Define better result please. The HE projectile in use IS the original Inf one (unless there's more than one..). It has a slightly lower range but does more "blast" damage than the INFMOD version as it seems, which is the reason it got changed.

Kueltag

Jan 31, 2008
I used the M16A2 against monsters spawned by MonsterSpawner3.02. Both the M406 and the M433 has the maximum theoretical damage of 120 against them. But if you don't achieve a direct hit, you can reach only part of this damage. What I meant is that on average I reached higher damages (as written out by Random Damage with 0/0 limits) using the M433 than with the M406. So it seemed that the M433 was more 'efficient', as I could get closer to it's maximum damage. M397 was hopeless, VOG-25P fair. The M576 is completely different story (it's good). D1-SD was perfect, practically it has an infinite power, it just needs time. Good against Titan/Queen/Warlord.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
As I already posted in the COOP forums - it sucks having two threads to follow/update :):

Anyway, regarding the 40mm nade discussion I found the trajectory difference between Inf M406 and INFMOD M406 and plan to use identical trajectories for all nades used by the RO979 in the next release. The M433 is part of the new40mm IIRC and since I still wasn't able to contact Yurch for the 40mm buckshot replacing the M406 with the M433 seems out of question at the moment - I'll take a closer look to the M433 though, to check what differences there are.

Also I think I got a client side start fire mode selection working - start nade types still don't do what I want from them :(.

Don't expect a next relase too soon though, since RL takes a tad more time now than it did before - but I'm still working on the mutator.

Heh, cool stuff snakeye. HK417 next?
Uhm, Hk417 would require modeling, animating and skinning - technically the RO979 would also require a skin update, but I'm a lousy skinner - as is evident on the 40mm Incendiary I modified. I'm on the same line as Carpet here - fixing available things does seem better than adding new things from scratch - not to mention it's easier to start with smaller things to gain experience; if I'd started with a whole new weapon I'd probbaly have given up by day 2. After all I can name two guns who despreately need a slight overhaul, especially compared to each other - FAL and G3.

If you find someone crazy enough to actually model, animate and skin a Hk417 I'd probably take a go at coding it, though. (I might make it suck though, since I don't particularly like H&K - just kidding :D)

Maybe fixing the problems in the current weapons first before adding new ones?
Adding new problems or new guns ;)

Kueltag

Jan 31, 2008
After all I can name two guns who despreately need a slight overhaul, especially compared to each other - FAL and G3.

...and M3S90 calls itself M1S90 on the HUD, UDAR sounds like DE, someone made a Walther P22 which actually works, but looks and sounds like M92F, a few of the existing clips should be compatible (MP5s, Uzis), M2HB is about 23 percent less powerful than M60, .40 S&W is as powerful as 9x19 which is as powerful as 5.7x28, the MicroUzi is slow to handle like hell, some grenade launchers won't load the 1st grenade if only a certain type is present, the bulk of the 1st clip in each weapon is zero, etc, etc etc. The world is imperfect. I guess we should be grateful that someone's still making new stuff for Inf.

INF'S NOT DEAD! ;)