Importing assets into UnrealED from other unreal based games?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

guts118

Sep 17, 2008
hi,

I'm just trying to learn how to use unrealed, the ut2004 version. I've been told that I can use assets from other games that are based on the unreal2 engine. I have managed to import textures from other games such as Dead Mans Hand and Harry Potter, however I'm having problems importing animations and static meshes. When I try unrealed has a critical error that are sometimes different, here are some examples:

Importing Static mesh from Dead Mans Hand
Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 1811 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series (6833)

Bad import index 18/17

History: IndexToObject <- ULinkerLoad<<UObject <- (LinkerLoad Package.LinkerLoad203 706)) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Struct Engine.StaticMesh.StaticMeshMaterial Material[0]) <- FPropertyTag::SerializeTaggedProperty <- LoadStream <- (Count 0) <- UStruct::SerializeTaggedProperties <- (Materials[-1]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (StaticMesh JChurch.UnderDome01) <- UPrimitive::Serialize <- UStaticMesh::Serialize <- LoadObject <- (StaticMesh JChurch.UnderDome01 706==706/122507 699 4826) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::LoadPackage <- UEditorEngine::SafeExec <- (LOAD FILE="C:\Program Files\Atari\Dead Man's Hand\StaticMeshes\JChurch.usx") <- UEditorEngine::SafeExec <- (OBJ LOAD FILE="C:\Program Files\Atari\Dead Man's Hand\StaticMeshes\JChurch.usx") <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (OBJ LOAD FILE="C:\Program Files\Atari\Dead Man's Hand\StaticMeshes\JChurch.usx).. <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WBrowserMaster::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

Importing animation from Harry Potter

Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 1819 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series (6833)

Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk.

History: FMallocWindows::Malloc <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 00000000 -2440 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- -61*40 <- TArray<< <- TArray<< <- UMeshAnimation::Serialize <- (MeshAnimation HPCharacters.QuidPlayer) <- LoadObject <- (MeshAnimation HPCharacters.QuidPlayer 34614==34614/15783072 27536 1783988) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::LoadPackage <- UEditorEngine::SafeExec <- (LOAD FILE="C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(TM)\Animations\HPCharacters.ukx") <- UEditorEngine::SafeExec <- (OBJ LOAD FILE="C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(TM)\Animations\HPCharacters.ukx") <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (OBJ LOAD FILE="C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azka).. <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- WBrowserAnimation::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WBrowserMaster::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

Now as for the second error I don't believe this is anything to do with virtual memory, I had atleast 7GB of space avaliable on my primary hard drive.

Has anyone had expericance with this? Do the files need to be decrypted? I've been looking on the net but can't really find anything relating to this.

Any help is appreciated
Cheers

Guts

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
If you're just trying to open a package directly in another UnrealEd then it will almost always fail. If you wanted to do this you'd need to export the assets and reimport them in the other UnrealEd.

Just don't distribute anything you make this way, it's illegal.

guts118

Sep 17, 2008
thanks for the quick reply, just to say this is for uni work so there won't be any distribution :D.

so when you sa export do you mean using the games own editor? Dead mans hand comes with an editor called "Dead Ed" and with this I can export textures but there is no option to export meshes and animations. And as for harry potter, I don't believe it comes with an editor.

Is there a specific way to export the files?

Once again thanks for the reply and any help is very appreciated

Thanks
Guts

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Not that I know of if the editor won't let you or the game doesn't come with one. You could try exporting static meshes by placing them in an empty box level, and exporting the whole level as OBJ and importing into Max or Maya etc, but some editors don't come with that option (File >> Export), and OBJ will screw up the UV mapping.