Why is FMI wasting time on Bot code?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[pet]robot

Jan 1, 2005
Owl's return has sparked my own interest in trying utxmp again, but I am dismayed to see FMI is working on fixing bugs in the Bot code! WTF, I will not play bots in utxmp, please work on real bugs. And please for gods' sake, post some info somewhere for people to keep up on. I think its half the reason people are bailing on this game, they think its not being seriously supported. I know they have the webpage up with bug fixes, but thats so vague. Somebody talk on the forums and Represent!

Last edited:

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
www.euphoric-beaver.me.uk
babycrying2wl.jpg

fireball

Reach out and torch someone
Just because you don't doesn't mean nobody else does.
Yes, UTXMP is mostly multiplayer only, but there are people who'd like being able to practice offline before jumping into your "OMFG VET PWNAGE" server and getting a score of -31337 because they get spawncamped by the uberpistol of doom.

[edit] LMAO Ciced

Last edited:

cyb

Dec 15, 2003
me->
kino.gif

kino.gif
<-Jubei
PS: this time i have bought enough for both of us, Jubei ;)

[PE] Bender

Used Register
Feb 19, 2004
Terra/Sol
kino.gif
for everyone \o/!

So at least we all have something to eat while we wait :).

Single Player Support is an feature most mods are missing and although i agree that it is not that important for a "Multiplayer Game" i really like FMI´s decision to "waste" (or invest) time and ressources to implement teh Bots.
The Noobs and Mappers will be grateful for working bots :).

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
ctp.Bender said:
The Noobs and Mappers will be grateful for working bots :).

And we need those noobs if the game is going to last. I've seen a lot of new player leave after someone shouts at them for not reviving, or for wasting energy. Being able to learn the game against bots is help a lot.

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
Naib said:
I've seen a lot of new player leave after someone shouts at them for not reviving, or for wasting energy. Being able to learn the game against bots is help a lot.
Perhaps it would help more if those nubs were not being shouted at in the first place. The UT crowd had the problem of a lot of nubs generally not knowing what to do when ONS first arrived, thankfully there were kind peeps explaining it all during games.

[pet]robot

Jan 1, 2005
Do you even understand how much work is still left to make the Bots even remotely useful for teaching noobs? The bots are not even close to being anything worth teaching with. Once again, we need one of these many empty servers to be for noobs to learn on, just like most other games have. I mean crap, I bet you even [pet] would be willing to offer a noob server service if it means the game gets more patches, in less time, if they will drop the bots till after the closest alpha release.

Reeps

Severe thumbs up (y)
Sep 2, 2003
WI
Visit site
fireball said:
Just because you don't doesn't mean nobody else does.
Yes, UTXMP is mostly multiplayer only, but there are people who'd like being able to practice offline before jumping into your "OMFG VET PWNAGE" server and getting a score of -31337 because they get spawncamped by the uberpistol of doom.
Exactly. This goes for a lot of bugs/fixes/changes aswell: no matter what we fix, someone will be upset because it's not what they want fixed.

LOL @ Ciced's post :lol:

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
Ciced said:
Perhaps it would help more if those nubs were not being shouted at in the first place.

I agree with you, but I also know the xmp community and so I was being realistic. There is more chance of FMI programming the best AI ever used in a computer game than there is for some people to be nice to someone. ;)

[PE] Bender

Used Register
Feb 19, 2004
Terra/Sol
[DF]phalanx said:
but good from a mappers point of view? nah its not botpathing is the sukyest part

Bot Pathing aint that difficult although scripting the dumb little Beasts for certain actions is ;).
Its just that in case you need 32 Players to make Perfomance or Gameplay tests, the bots are always there and ready :). Of course this is no replacement for a "real" Test with "living" Players but actually helps getting to this point without annoying the Players: The Bots do not complain (Maybe thats why they get so much attention now :lol: ).

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
Ciced said:
Perhaps it would help more if those nubs were not being shouted at in the first place. The UT crowd had the problem of a lot of nubs generally not knowing what to do when ONS first arrived, thankfully there were kind peeps explaining it all during games.

you're not actually saying that onslaught requires any kind of intelligence
even a chimp can play it and own

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
Naib said:
I agree with you, but I also know the xmp community and so I was being realistic. There is more chance of FMI programming the best AI ever used in a computer game than there is for some people to be nice to someone. ;)
Unfortunately you're right lol. :)

Jubei said:
you're not actually saying that onslaught requires any kind of intelligence
even a chimp can play it and own
I was using ONS as an example of how the community should be helping new players. Btw xmp isn't rocket science either, the difference is ONS doesn't pretend to be.