a terrible day in Connecticut.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
A more practical mechanism to prevent others from firing your gun would be an RFID mechanism. The user would have to have some sort of wristband that the gun can recognize.

I don't think the fingerprint scanning technology and other biometric mechanisms are advanced enough to fit in a gun and scan quickly when the user needs it.

I missed this before, but these are good ideas and you may be right about the current state of bio-metrics. Our idea was to put it into the grip and use the thumbprint.

Here's one: Find a spine. Don't compromise. Tell them to go fuck themselves.

Once again (like with the kill-switch argument) you've taken some things entirely out of context and/or thin air.

Who is making a compromise? This would be a good thing for decent people. Find a spine? I'm trying to do something about this problem that doesn't involve "Let's just ban the fuck out of them." Perhaps you're the one who should find a spine. :D

Also, I double-dare you to tell the police to go fuck themselves if they're ever kicking down your door. Or better yet, tell some armed crackhead to go fuck himself when he kicks down your door and you don't have a gun handy. (Catch yourself doing either one of these on video without either getting shot or getting the shit beat out of you and I'll pay you $100 for the entertainment alone.) That's not bravery - it's sheer stupidity, and I pity you for thinking it's anything else.

Regardless of what's decided upon officially, I'll have the guns and ammunition I do now and nobody is stopping me. I will literally die defending them if necessary.

Then you are exactly the kind of extremist person who should not own a self-defense firearm, and whom this system would be designed to deter. Also, nobody said anything about 'prying your guns out your cold dead hands,' etc. The system would be designed to work with any currently-existing firearm. You will be able to install this system on your existing firearms and (ideally) the government would subsidize it so no additional cost to you. If you're a regular person who owns a gun for self-defense and doesn't have anything to hide this system will benefit you in the long run. If you're a criminal who would shoot someone just because you can this system will be a detriment to you in the long run, and that's the fucking point. Everybody that matters wins, all the right people lose.

The very agency currently patting citizens on the head and telling them to trust that everything is fine when asked about warrantless wiretapping? [Ars Technica]

Look, I'm not endorsing the NSA. I'm just saying that agencies like them could be the managing party. Any entity could manage this thing.

And just imagine how quickly a freedom fighter could be taken off the field.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you're referring to some ex-mil merc who's doing a jungle-hump in the third world because he can't hack it back in the real world, well, I don't think you'll need to worry too much. Those countries will probably never implement a system like this. If you're talking about the so-called freedom fighters here, I say good, let em' get busted. Maybe then they can do something constructive with their lives instead of fighting (aka terrorism) for a cause (aka overthrowing the government) that would ultimately collapse American society and doom us all.

Last edited:

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
If you're a regular person who owns a gun for self-defense and doesn't have anything to hide this system will benefit you in the long run. If you're a criminal who would shoot someone just because you can this system will be a detriment to you in the long run, and that's the fucking point.

The attitude that anyone who doesn't want to be surveilled is a dangerous criminal is precisely how totalitarian regimes are born. I'm half wondering if you're serious or quoting the villain from a 1984 spinoff.

Look, I'm not endorsing the NSA. I'm just saying that agencies like them could be the managing party. Any entity could manage this thing.

And you know just as well as anyone else that if this technology becomes widespread, all the wrong people (including the NSA) will insert their unaccountable dicks in it under the guise of combatting terrorism.

that would ultimately collapse our society and doom us all.

lolwut.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Regardless of what's decided upon officially, I'll have the guns and ammunition I do now and nobody is stopping me. I will literally die defending them if necessary.

So you'd die protecting the thing that is supposed to protect your life? Makes sense.

Later I'm going to let my toilet shit on me.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
So you'd die protecting the thing that is supposed to protect your life?

My guns aren't for protecting life, which is comparatively cheap. They're supposed to give me power. That's what freedom and privacy and all the other ideas so dear to me are about: The power to live life exactly how I want, and to help others to do the same.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
I'm going to go ahead and call BS on you cryptophreak. I doubt you have a single weapon and if you do I'd bet you haven't shot it ever or since the first time. I bet you fight like a girl too. If I'm wrong about you then I'm sorry. I'm am liking that you claim that you would die for your rights. That is admirable or at least it is for these particular rights that I like having too. I would have thought you would have moved to Colorado already for the legal weed. Wait for it... Here it is! :) Look! A Smiley! See that! Everything I just said was me just kidding.

That is so cool. It works! Talk smack to people and then drop in a smiley and everything is OK instantly! It's like I never said crap! Awesome.

Now let's be serious again. I'll stand right next to you crypto and aid you in your effort to protect this right of ours. I've already done my military tour defending our rights here in America and I'd do it again if asked by Uncle Sam.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
The attitude that anyone who doesn't want to be surveilled is a dangerous criminal is precisely how totalitarian regimes are born. I'm half wondering if you're serious or quoting the villain from a 1984 spinoff.

Eh, a little tiny bit of totalitarianism isn't necessarily a bad thing given the state the world right now. I'd rather have a system that protects me even if they need to restrict my second amendment rights in a very small way (but not completely) to do so. Better than having some crackhead kick in my door and kill me over a stereo because I'm not legally allowed to own a gun at some possible point in the future. Fuck that shit.

The problem is getting those in power to release control when things go back to 'normal.'

And you know just as well as anyone else that if this technology becomes widespread, all the wrong people (including the NSA) will insert their unaccountable dicks in it under the guise of combatting terrorism.

Won't happen, it'll be owned by a private company and that entity will be able to decide who can and cannot use it. The government cannot seize intellectual property from privately-owned companies or individuals in good legal status; if you've heard differently, you're reading or listening to false propaganda.

They can build their own version but that's not my problem and it can't be helped. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Washington already had designs for a system like this. The Land Warrior system already does some of this stuff, but that project has been put on hold until the Future Force Warrior program goes live sometime in the next twenty years.

That's exactly what I say when I read your statements.

So you'd die protecting the thing that is supposed to protect your life? Makes sense.

AMERICUH! FUCK YEAH!

Crazy people are crazy.

DarkED, you're fucking insane. That's cool though.

:lol:

Think what you want. The government is going to start pulling in the reins on American society at some point. I'd rather help make that process a little less restrictive than just sit around and wait for it to happen.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This thread got large fast. No gun control in the world is going to stop violent crimes. Sure, some more people might survive, but I have to ask if life without your eyes or missing limbs or in a chair on a ventilator because you can't breathe for yourself is a life well saved. I just don't know. We still have lower per capita violent crime than the UK.

Frankly, I'd just like to see easier access to mental health, especially if we are freaking out about covering more people how about we cover problems that are actually affecting us right now? Also, how was this kid able to gain access to the weapons and their ammo in the first place? We own a gun but part of it is in a safe and the other part of it is on a high shelf in another room. I would never keep them together or let my kids know how to access them, even if they were basically adults. I don't keep a gun to protect me from chance intruders.

And I know this is from page one, but we always ask why. We always want something to make sense of these kinds of tragedies, but the stark reality is that there is no way to explain tragedies like this.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Eh, a little tiny bit of totalitarianism isn't necessarily a bad thing given the state the world right now. I'd rather have a system that protects me even if they need to restrict my second amendment rights in a very small way (but not completely) to do so. Better than having some crackhead kick in my door and kill me over a stereo because I'm not legally allowed to own a gun at some possible point in the future. Fuck that shit.

The problem is getting those in power to release control when things go back to 'normal.'

I can't respect that at all.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I'm going to go ahead and call BS on you cryptophreak. I doubt you have a single weapon and if you do I'd bet you haven't shot it ever or since the first time. I bet you fight like a girl too. If I'm wrong about you then I'm sorry. I'm am liking that you claim that you would die for your rights. That is admirable or at least it is for these particular rights that I like having too. I would have thought you would have moved to Colorado already for the legal weed. Wait for it... Here it is! :) Look! A Smiley! See that! Everything I just said was me just kidding.

That is so cool. It works! Talk smack to people and then drop in a smiley and everything is OK instantly! It's like I never said crap! Awesome.

Now let's be serious again. I'll stand right next to you crypto and aid you in your effort to protect this right of ours. I've already done my military tour defending our rights here in America and I'd do it again if asked by Uncle Sam.

What the fuck just happened.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
If darked's ideas work and it reduces gun crime then great but I can't see how having two classes of guns floating around will help. One that can be controlled and one that can't. You say the importation of guns should be tightly controlled, but aren't they already?

Maybe Obama is trying to weaken the population so that Homeland can come in and take control.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
Westboro church are sinking to a new low

'Westboro Baptist Church is planning another attack of hateful words, protesting the funerals of the 20 children and 7 adults who died yesterday at Sandy Hook elementary school. You can not fight hate with hate so continuing in Romaine Patterson's footsteps, if they do come here and try to protest we are going to put forth Angel Action,' the two young women wrote in a posting.

Last edited:

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
It doesn't matter if every gun was suddenly gone from America.

You guys have a history of violence justified. A culture of might makes right.
Until you get rid of that, then horrible crap like this will continue to happen.

The deepseated public concept that using force was ever the solution is the real cause of America's much higher murder per capita.
Guns are just a multiplier of convenience.

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I can't respect that at all.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

The entire idea here is to hold on to essential liberty that might otherwise be taken away completely "for the greater good" while also trying to make the world a safer place. What about that can't you understand? It is your brand of narrow-minded and short-sighted thinking that gets us into these problems in the first place.

But whatever you say. You fail to realize that we don't have any real choice in the matter. We have the illusion of freedom. If you want to change something in this world you have to have to work with it, not against it.

Just wait another couple decades. I have a feeling you will either be dead (died defending your precious guns) or will have come around to my way of thinking.

If darked's ideas work and it reduces gun crime then great but I can't see how having two classes of guns floating around will help. One that can be controlled and one that can't. You say the importation of guns should be tightly controlled, but aren't they already?

New ammunition is necessary to solve that problem, at least in part. Require that gun shops sell new ammunition that cannot be fired in conventional firearms. Fine or prosecute those that refuse. It won't solve the problem overnight but it will help over the long run. Criminals cant use conventional firearms if they have no ammunition. Additionally, there could be a task force dedicated to tracking down unregistered weapons and destroying them or upgrading them to the new system with proper documentation. Either way would save lives. As far as I'm aware, we currently have no such task force or organization that is dedicated to tracking down black market firearms. Police occasionally find them when they conduct raids but that's not good enough.

Importation is tightly controlled, yes, but there are too many cracks we need to fill. Filling those cracks would be a necessary part of the process; as with most problems like this, only doing one thing isn't going to fix the problem.

Last edited: