I got my X-Box today

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Re: Re: Re: Re: I got my X-Box today

Originally posted by Clayeth|BuF

ARG! :mad:

Both these systems are great. So is the Gamecube. When it comes right down to it, they can all have great looking games. Just because one's specs appear better, doesn't mean that the games will be better for it, or even that they'll look better. Each company has taken a VERY different approach and has very different hardware. They don't even handle stuff the same way. They're all great, and they all have their own strengths. I don't think ANYTHING's goint to get crushed (afterall, SEGA doesn't have a console in the mix :D). [/B]

Ok, you're right. Sooner or later i'm gonna have to buy an XBox anyway to play Shenmue 2. Sucks that they took it off Dreamcast. Shenmue is one of the absolute BEST gaming experiences I have ever had. For christ sakes, you get a job in the game and actually have to do it every day.

What are the current XBox only titles that are coming out soon?

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
Originally posted by Maj1013
Which is pretty much standard for any hardware launch. It in no way means that X-Box is inferior, or shoddy, or whatever.

Average Out-of-the-box-return-rate for the PC industry is 4% (I think Dell has the highest rate, 10%, or is it HP ? Apple has the lowest, less than 2%).

So 10-15% is high :(

eraser

I'm your brain on drugs.
Dec 13, 1999
In a town foo!
Visit site
I'm with sparky on this one, but you guys can buy whatever you like... i still think they suck major A$$!!!! the only reason i'd buy an x-box or whatever is to watch dvd's. nothing more.

Originally posted by namu

Average Out-of-the-box-return-rate for the PC industry is 4% (I think Dell has the highest rate, 10%, or is it HP ? Apple has the lowest, less than 2%).

So 10-15% is high :(

PCs and consoles are two different animals. A 10% defective rate for consoles at launch is pretty much average. Ok? For consoles. So, while that may make X-Box crappier than a PC, it makes it perfectly average when you compare it to other consoels. Playstation, Dreamcast, PS2...all buggy as hell when they launched. (Doesn't anyone remember the famous "turn your Playstation over" fix offered by Sony?)

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
The "turn over fix" was a solution to a mechanical "aging" problem, not something that prevented the console from starting up straight out of the box. Also the XBox is just a small PC, so i figured i could compare it to PCs ;)

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
Originally posted by Maj1013
Which is pretty much standard for any hardware launch. It in no way means that X-Box is inferior, or shoddy, or whatever.

Well, you're wrong, it only became a standard after systems started using cheap CD-ROMs, The Cartridge systems weren't anywhere near as bad.

It doesn't mean the Xbox is shoddy at all, but it does mean that both the Xbox and PS2 used crummy components in the making of the drives. We'll have to see about the GC :)

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Originally posted by Thrakhath
Well, you're wrong, it only became a standard after systems started using cheap CD-ROMs, The Cartridge systems weren't anywhere near as bad.

I hear ya. The only thing being that with my SNES and my N64, there were countless times I had to plug in my cartridge games over and over cause the SNES and/or N64 wouldn't read them.

This happened to pretty much every one of my friends who owned those systems.

Great systems, but I'd prefer a disk over blowing into a cartridge trying to get rid of the "dust" to make it work. Which, of course, was silly, because I'm probably spitting in the damn thing further screwing it up!! ;)

-I_AM{skullface}

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
Originally posted by I AM{skullface}
The only thing being that with my SNES and my N64, there were countless times I had to plug in my cartridge games over and over cause the SNES and/or N64 wouldn't read them.

A problem that has plaged many a Nintendo Console owner. But, for me, I know this guy, and I don't know what he did, but I gave him all my games and my console and when I got them back, they all worked PERFECTLY. Haven't had to blow one yet. Even the old NES.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Originally posted by Thrakhath
A problem that has plaged many a Nintendo Console owner. But, for me, I know this guy, and I don't know what he did, but I gave him all my games and my console and when I got them back, they all worked PERFECTLY. Haven't had to blow one yet. Even the old NES.

LOL, funny you say that, cause when my friend Jay was over, I'd have him replug the cartridges. If it didn't work for me, it ALWAYS worked for him, first try.

No idea why.

Maybe your friend and my friend had some sort of special SNES/N64 powers! ;)

-I_AM{skullface}

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
^_^.gif
Yeah, maybe. But what this guy did was he took them completely appart (Carts, system, everything), cleaned them really well, then tightened everything so that the connections don't jumble around, and resurfaced all the contacts, and then put them all back together solidly. They work great for everyone now
^_^.gif