Elder Scrolls: Skyrim [DARGONS EDITION]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Jacks: this is exactly why I can only play TES games during summer/winter breaks. They are terribly addicting.

And yeah, this year in PC gaming has truly been a bounty.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
running around instead of "fast travel" to find areas like this.

agree.
despite having the fast travel I find myself wanting to ride between every destination, even to and from quest points. so far even the relatively mundane aspects of the game are incredibly pleasing.

the sound effects are superb.
it's the whole riding along through nature feeling. it's spot on, it matches the time of day and outdoor conditions. crickets in the evening, wind across a high grass field, you know birds and shit. it's just awesome.

play with the lights off, headphones on, sound effects up, voices and footsteps up, game music off. that won't effect bards, you'll hear their music in taverns. it just kills the game soundtrack. go with raw sound effects and ambiance. after awhile it feels like you're dreaming.

pretty brilliant work here by Bethesda.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
So I was looking for Grand Souls to capture with Azura's Star, and this happened:

[SCREENSHOT]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649871336314067350/DBF83CF35F622842FAA65BEF06B1325E8E2841A1/[/SCREENSHOT]

Space here I come!

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I've ran into so many freakin glitches, even the main questline is glitched for me. Also after I married someone, they just disappeared at the shrine, they never went back to my house or anything, and I can't find them anywhere. :lol:

At least I got 2 dragons at the same time...

[SCREENSHOT]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1673/2011111500001w.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Just became Arch Mage at the College of Mages.. And man, those robes are INSANELY ugly. Might just have to make a new skin for them myself.

I'll admit, I had to drop the difficulty a bit for the Staff of Magnus final boss. That was just.. absurd. Guy seems to have unlimited magicka, and you can't toss fodder at him. You run out of magicka WAY too quickly, and basically have to cast until you lose all your magicka, then hide, heal, and regen.. If you get hit by his blast without any lightning protection you're screwed unless you're a mixed build. Pure mages like me will have a very rough time.

Also, I am really digging the changes to alchemy and enchanting.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Yes.
Ayep. I don't like to be that guy, but remember what you said about that stuff before Sleepy.

Yeah I know, but this game has barely paid off $20 of the $60 I paid Beth for Oblivion, so they still owe me. ;)

I don't think I'll stick with this game long anyways. Also I don't openly support or flaunt this kind of action, which is mainly what bothers me, that being said, how does everyone know I DLed this? :eek: Stalkers!

Unlike you, I bought my copy. Maybe "that version" is missing the day 1 patch.

Maybe, but I downloaded it on a whim like 2 days ago so it should have it. :eek:

Also that marriage thing apparently happened to plenty of people and you have to go back to Mara's temple to fix it, and there are plenty of glitches/exploits you can see on youtube.

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I rolled a wood elf warrior/archer/thief, just hit level 19. It's working out pretty well so far. I've been killed once (thanks to the first dragon encounter) but otherwise it's been relatively smooth sailing. I'm mainly sticking to the one-handed sword and shield combo. I pull out a bow or some magic when I want range.

As a side note, make sure you pick up some Falmer weapons while looting quest caves in the beginning. As easy-to-obtain weapons go, they're pretty damn good, and they'll probably last you through 20+ hours of playtime. And take a couple of Ancient Nord weapons home, too (also easily obtained in the beginning) as you can use them to craft some pretty good weapons at the Skyforge later on.

Also noticed this a few minutes ago:
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/RUbCb.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

My latest savegame says I've put about 25 hours in. Here's my thoughts on Skyrim so far, vs. Morrowind and Oblivion:

The good:

*The game is fucking awesome. It's like they used everything that was great about Morrowind and Oblivion and left out everything that sucked (the most noticeable exception being horses; more on that further down.) Skyrim is so easy to become immersed in. And damn if it isn't beautiful!

*It's actually fun to level (most) skills now, as opposed to the 'grinding' feeling I often had while playing the previous games.

*The crafting system is much improved from previous installments, although I do miss spellmaking at times. Smithing and gear upgrades are awesome though.

*The Radiant AI upgrade is pretty amazing. NPC's actually do react to your decisions now (unlike in Oblivion where they were supposed to, but generally didn't.) The game also uses dynamic logic to micromanage how everyday events will play out depending on various things you've already done.

*The general dialog and scripted events are so much better than in previous Elder Scrolls games.

*The random ruins and caves are no longer incredibly boring.

*The majority of the sidequests are very interesting, and there seems to be very few FedEx quests.

The bad:

*The new interface is quirky at times, although it does look good and is far more streamlined than Oblivion's.

*Horses are pretty much useless unless you want to scale mountains (they can climb steeper inclines than you can on foot.) You can get anywhere pretty fast by simply hiring a cart then walking whatever short distance is left, and your companions can't keep up with you when you're riding a horse because they cannot ride horses themselves. They left horse combat out too, again, so you have to dismount to return blows when you're being attacked in the wilderness. That's not even mentioning the fact that horses can die and they tend to pull a lot of aggro (if a Dragon happens to spawn in your area and targets you, you may as well say goodbye to your horse.) Horses also have no inventory, again, which was a major letdown for me. As a side note, you can still fast-travel on horses when over-encumbered, so maybe they're not totally useless.

*It's REALLY easy to make huge piles of gold if you follow the pick-up-everything-that-isn't-nailed-down approach. I currently have ~20,000 gold in my pocket and I own the Whiterun house with all the upgrades (a combined total of 6800 gold) on top of that. I feel like I never really have to work for anything in the game that isn't skill- or level-related.

*The Dragons are far too easy after you've killed two or three of them.

*The Dragons are far too easy after you've killed two or three of them. Seriously.

*Marriages seem like an afterthought. They offer no real benefits except a meal you can collect once a day, a positive status effect after sleeping next to your wife, and a 100 gold bonus (profit from a store she supposedly runs in your absence) that you can get from your wife each day. They could have gone in a much better direction and made it more like Fable, with divorces, children, etc.

All in all, this game is definitely worth the $60 to me. It's amazing they were able to pack so much into 5.5 gigs for the PC release.

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
how does everyone know I DLed this?
"In non-steam game" when playing a game that has this text at the back of the box:
Requires Internet connection and free Steam account to activate
The Dragons are far too easy after you've killed two or three of them.
They're still pretty tough for me and I'm level 32 with the reduced elemental damage while blocking perk. On one loading screen I read that some dragons are tougher than others, perhaps you haven't encountered one of the harder variants yet? Or maybe I'm doing this completely wrong but whatever, I like the challenge so it's fine anyways.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
On one loading screen I read that some dragons are tougher than others, perhaps you haven't encountered one of the harder variants yet?

That's a real possibility. Also, I was thinking that I just now reached level 23 so I haven't taken into account whether or not a Dragon's level scales with my level. If they do then Dragons are probably going to get very difficult for me pretty soon.

Mar 6, 2004
Haha i went to riverwood to find some iron mine in the area and a dragon(frost) comes, i kill it using the houses as cover and the people in town were starting to gather around it amazed at seeing a dragon and saying "i can't believe it". I go to the mine, come back with some iron to bring my blacksmith up and the dragon is gone...wtf! wait, it was hiding under the ground and starts RISING above th ground, a bone dragon ready to attack again. :p It was funny seeing that dead dragon come out of the ground like that. Level 17 now, and i have a house thanks to the money console command cheat which i'll not use again. I just wanted a house bad.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Haha i went to riverwood to find some iron mine in the area and a dragon(frost) comes, i kill it using the houses as cover and the people in town were starting to gather around it amazed at seeing a dragon and saying "i can't believe it". I go to the mine, come back with some iron to bring my blacksmith up and the dragon is gone...wtf! wait, it was hiding under the ground and starts RISING above th ground, a bone dragon ready to attack again. :p It was funny seeing that dead dragon come out of the ground like that. Level 17 now, and i have a house thanks to the money console command cheat which i'll not use again. I just wanted a house bad.

Gamers today can't take a bit of work to get their shinies, they want everything thrown at their laps. You should be ashamed.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm not even level 10 and I've already made enough so that I could buy a house. It really wasn't that difficult as long as you scavenge and make use of your companion as a pack mule.