DM-MM-Hollowrock

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

de_void

Quaker Extreme
Oct 9, 2003
Australia
Visit site
You guys seen DM-MM-Hollowrock? I think it's well worth a look just for the stormy atmosphere in the storm version of the map ( the zip contains 2 versions of the same map, storm and misty) I played the storm version first and then straight after it the misty version, and the change in atmosphere was a blast in itself. The gameplay is not that bad either, which is a bonus.

www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=4034

If anyones interested (around 11mb)

I don't recall seeing any other type of map by Morphias, but if nothing else, he's getting very good at it. The level does suffer a little from the normal game play issues of open terrain, however there are a few nice variations in height and orientation aids which I found worked well. Also, the terrain has been very well optimised and runs silky smoothe. I prefered the misty version due to the fact that the darkness in the storm version gives the bots significant advantage in poor visibility. There are still some rough sections of terrain work which would have benefited from judicious use of the smooth tool, but overall I found it quite enjoyable to play on.:)

While you're at it, Skaarj, I cannot recommend highly enough checking out Plutonic's latest, DM-1on1-Rivalry. I am publicly going on record as saying I was wrong! Pure terrain maps can be fun if they are done well and with an understanding of game play, which, of course, Plutonic has a pretty good handle on! ;) It's also possibly the best optimised terrain map I have ever played and even base systems should fly through this map with steady frame rates throughout. It's even completely wide open yet still fun! The man is a fiend! Ok, so it isn't perfect. I would have liked a few more texture variations on the terrain and the lighting is a little too generic. I like strong angles when sunlight actors are used. Also the waterfalls and raging river don't quite do it for me. Still, have we started to turn the corner? Are mappers finally learning to combine good game play mechanics in terrain maps that are well optimised? Let's hope this trend continues to improve! Good work to Morphias and Plutonic... it can be done! :tup:

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
I suppose you're kidding: Rivalry sux big ass... I've just played a couple of games in and I had the feeling to be in a n00b map: this level's a pure spamming heaven :tdown:

In this thread, Plutonic said he wanted to do something different: a very open map very similar to most RA levels but without any instant-hit weps to avoid total domination of hardcore players. Interesting idea but he forgot that everyone spawns in a map with an instant-hit weapon... :rolleyes: And why is there a MiniGun then? All the more as it is located at the top of the map from where you dominate the whole level... And with the Flak right next to it! Long-range AND close-range total carnage is in your hands at a distance of only a few meters... And with the only powerup of the map at a pair of double-jumps away :eek:

More: there's a dead-end with a little -almost useless in this kind of layout- Rocket Launcher :con: Why didn't he place the MiniGun here instead if instant-hit weapons dominate this map? Also the water damages are way too much high: why did he put an exit from this 'trap' if you can't use it? And what a Killzone is supposed to do in a duel map btw, except pissing off players who are in the lead, full of weps, ammos and armor, then fall into it? While I'm at it, where is the Bio-Rifle? It would have been really helpfull to send some goo above the (few) obstacles, at least to counteract the total domination of the Minigun...

Bots sux. A lot. They like that jumping into the water: where is the 'forbidden paths' feature? Then SuperBots work less well than normal bots... :lol: Result is: two matches= two total Ownages, and particularly boring ones

This map sux. It's cool-looking though but could have been far much more beautifull IMO: right now, it recalls me a Rayman game... ;)

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree then, Gui! :)

By "instant hit" weapons Chris is obviously refering to the shock and lightning. The minigun is not an instant hit weapon. It may seem like it at close range, but over much of the distance offered by this map you need to lead your target. I have never found the minigun to be "long range carnage", but the flak is rather useful, particularly in its elevated position. However, I found going down toward the rocket launcher very useful, particularly when I knew my oponent was heading for the flak. I found the lock-on feature very useful as it works for about ninety percent of the distances on offer. The plasma is also a great fallback weapon in this map, especially good for scalping anyone crossing the narrow bridge. I like where the shield is. It may be close to the flak, but the narrow base requires some finesse to land, and also makes you a target for players with their wits about them while you're floating mid-doublejump.

The water damage I've gotten used to. I think the amount of damage is a good deterent to make you take the gap you have to cross to get the shield seriously. There's an opportunity to escape actual death if you're quick enough, and I think Plutonic has struck a good balance there.

To my way of thinking, this map still has it's flaws but you haven't mentioned them yet! ;)

If this is the kind of rant we can get out of you for Rivalry, Gui, I strongly recommend you try HollowRock! :B :mwink:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I'll be checking out both of these maps tonight! Um, bots suck, that could be a problem, hehe. Anyway, chuck 'em both on the review queue. :biggrin2:

Uuuumm, make that tonight, not last night.:D

Last edited:

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
When an author says this about his map:

There are lots of opportunities for jumping from one rock platform to another and the map works really well with low-gravity and quad jump mutators activated - sort of like an aerial ballet, only much, much more gory

there's something wrong...

BIGBLUEYES

Beam me up!
Apr 3, 2002
QUEBEC, CANADA
Visit site
Gui said:
Hi d00d' \o/ Wassup? :)

Well, the past few months i was quite busy that`s why i didn`t show up for a while but lately i started foolin around with the editor ( the old one though ) because i still prefer UT1 for that "je ne sais quoi" you can`t find in the new game, the "uniqueness" that made it so special has somehow vanished in UTK3 imo...

But, lately i found that many of the newest UT2003 maps look and feel like the old UT...A few mappers started to do a "retour aux sources" choosing more realism and simplicity rather than the overusage of prefabs like before.
Quality is better than quantity! ;)

Anyway, i will post my work in progress screenies soon for you to comment. :)

de_void

Quaker Extreme
Oct 9, 2003
Australia
Visit site
I would have to agree that DM-1on1-Rivalry is not to good. I was looking forward to it after I first saw some screens, but it doesn't look that good to me now, to samey, and the worst part is, the gameplay is not to good. I played it the first time and thought it was good, but the second play through was my last, it just doesn't hold up.

Last edited: