Elder Scrolls: Skyrim [DARGONS EDITION]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
The TESV:Skyrim thread.

I've been playing it on and off for the past couple of days, and have come to the conclusion.. It's pretty awesome.

Pro: gameplay and quests feel more like Morrowind, less like Oblivion.
Con: The leveling and general character development system has been simplified.

My biggest complaints would be that of the magic system - they've really simplified it. Dual casting is cool, but I miss spellcrafting, and levitation. Guess I'll just have to wait for the mods to come out.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
lvl 6 breton battlemage, just got killed while I was carelessly chasing butterflies...

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Con: The leveling and general character development system has been simplified.
Other than a few missing skills like acrobatics and agility, compared to Oblivion it's not? Instead of just leveling up and immediately receiving predetermined benefits at a certain level, you choose what benefits you want from skills. That's really sending your character down a specific path of many possible paths.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
They aren't of any value... I just enjoy getting the popup and recognition.

300px-Skinner_box_scheme_01.png

;)

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Some shots I just took. Probably my favourite location, around Markarth.

[SCREENSHOT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Slainchild/778694f9.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Slainchild/7900d558.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Slainchild/53edd5be.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Amazing game!

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008

Funny, because that's how the actual game is too. D:

I'd hate to be the only one with a negative reaction, but the combat and gameplay is so ridiculously shallow. I don't remember exactly how Oblivion was, but this is bad. I don't understand at all how people can be so excited about something like this with such bad gameplay mechanics, besides that picture you posted explaining it. :(

But instead of going into details of all the bad parts, I'll change the post to a more positive note, and none the less I'm still getting some enjoyment out of it, once again the picture explaining it. :lol:

So what's up with everyone picking nords? :con:

I made a nice little dual axe wielding redguard. Here's some pics:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6987/2011111300001x.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1876/2011111300002h.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/153/2011111300005.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Demonstrating my fire breathing:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2999/2011111300011.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

...and some kids wanted to play tag:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3445/2011111300038.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9605/2011111300042.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8107/2011111300045.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7692/2011111300069.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2830/2011111300075.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1294/2011111300033.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/944/2011111300037.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Last edited:

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
TES has pretty much always been a hack n' slash game if you're using swords. Just have to block at the right time and time the light/heavy attacks along with keeping your stamina up.. and it doesn't need to be anything more than that imho.

I'm playing as a simple Orc warrior type dude. Apparently Orcs aren't as welcome in Skyrim as Nords seem to be.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
TES has pretty much always been a hack n' slash game if you're using swords. Just have to block at the right time and time the light/heavy attacks along with keeping your stamina up.

I use dual wielding, so I can't block (which is retarded).

So basically heres how every fight goes:

Against melee humanoid:
-Take 100% of their damage while hacking away.
-Hope I can tank their damage and win.

Against mage humanoid:
-Take 100% of their MASSIVE damage and hope I can somehow get in range and tank even more damage and kill them somehow, or just hope to get passed the zone.

Against dragon:
-Wait for it to land while it pwns half my life with ranged.
-Once it lands, hack away and take 100% of its damage, which I can't survive at all.
-Hide behind a rock and let the other creatures in the area kill it, which they do 100 times easier than me because of retarded level scaling. :lol:

Also the way potions work is just dumb, instant healing and you can use infinite, so basically all of my battles are determined by how many pots I carry. So exhilarating!

Please someone tell me I'm missing out on something severe in the gameplay and it's not just this retarded. Even Diablo 1's gameplay is way more complex than this. :(

Anyways, sorry for being a party pooper, didn't really want to get into this stuff, but it's annoying, frustrating, and not fun at all. -.-

Last edited:

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Don't dual wield? :p

I switch between ranged with a bow for dragon fights and then sword & shield up close. Pretty much 2-hit kills against most humanoid enemies unless they're buffed or armored. Especially with the critical hit perk trees.

Against mages: Make and use some resistance potions/enchantments for your weapons? Or use some ranged spells and then switch back to weapons up close.

I don't think a SINGLE playstyle is going to work for the entire game, basically. You have to mix and match depending on the situation.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah I know what you mean, I did go quite a bit into archery, but even then it doesn't help much. Also light armor, enchanting and restoration at this point.

No matter what it still boils down to my above post though. :\

I'm probably gonna have to get into alchemy/cooking and just make a shit load of health items so I can hack and slash my way through anything. Disappointing though.

Another thing that sucks is, while it's improved from Oblivion, you are still basically a man of all trades, there's no uniqueness or personalization in your playstyle. Especially with what you're saying, you have to do multiple things to get through.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
I restarted game from scratch. I am now a female high elf. Has anyone got serious in smithing, crafting, etc? im told they did a really good job on those, so i'll try getting more into that then quests as much for now.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Another thing that sucks is, while it's improved from Oblivion, you are still basically a man of all trades, there's no uniqueness or personalization in your playstyle. Especially with what you're saying, you have to do multiple things to get through.
I'm not saying you have to be the jack of all trades, you don't have to learn/spec everything, just a select few things that will suit different situations. Probably not a good idea to throw your perk points all over the place either. I'm not sure it really matters though. Since it's a single player adventure game, there isn't a real need for multiple classes or rigid character builds that work well with others in a party. Just murder dudes however you see fit. :lol:

Maybe someone will mod in some changes that'll suit you one day. I'm having a great time with as it is. Really enjoying the quests, exploring all the dungeons and caves, the large open world and atmosphere of it all. Cool shit like that is what sets this series apart.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
The College of Magic quests are pretty cool thus far. I'm about halfway through those (I'd be further along, but I'm trying to keep up the preconception of a social life).

I think the hardest part for me is the fact that I'm so used to modding the hell out of the TES games. There's hardly any out at the moment (not surprised), so hopefully after I play through this time there'll be some good mods out for my next character.

Right now I'm playing a Breton pure-mage. I'm surprised at how viable that actually is compared to previous games early on; I can kick ass for the most part, but sometimes I have to rely on conjuration fodder or my companions while I regain my magicka. I love that my zombies I reanimate retain the targets skills; reanimating other mages makes for some good times.

Still.. I want my spellcrafting and levitation spells, dammit. C'mon mods..

Mar 6, 2004
Fighting dragons as a nuker with robes on is hard. Killing a dragon for a quest, there are 2 around. What is the best against them? i'm most likely doing it all wrong, besides it's impossible to run away from their fire which is annoying as fuck. Where do you get the magic quests at? i'm only lvl 5.

I dunno why there are people who don't like this game, so much to do! go hunt, mine, harvest, craft, slay dragons, explore dungeons (some HUGE ones), explore the HUUUUUUGE world and all they eye candy that comes with it, get married. It's like an MMO for single player somewhat. Always something to do.

Last edited:

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Fighting dragons as a nuker with robes on is hard. Killing a dragon for a quest, there are 2 around. What is the best against them? i'm most likely doing it all wrong, besides it's impossible to run away from their fire which is annoying as fuck. Where do you get the magic quests at? i'm only lvl 5.

I dunno why there are people who don't like this game, so much to do! go hunt, mine, harvest, craft, slay dragons, explore dungeons (some HUGE ones), explore the HUUUUUUGE world and all they eye candy that comes with it, get married. It's like an MMO for single player somewhat. Always something to do.

Magic based quests can be found in Winterhold, where the college is located.

As far as taking on dragons, companions are almost a must. You can get a decent one early on in Dragonsreach. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Lydia

Also, definitely put points into conjuration. Bring in as much fodder as you can in dragon combat, and make sure you've got a place to hide for regen purposes. If there aren't any good hiding spots, you'll want plenty of restore magicka and restore health potions.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I love the atmosphere everywhere. There's not one place that fell flat for me yet in that area. The feel when crawling dungeons is awesome. The feel of the towns is awesome. The feel of the huge open world is awesome, especially when aurora borealis appear.

You can get lost in there for a long time. It's quite dangerous. I think I've fallen victim to it.

I find the combat very nice. It's not very deep, but I don't believe any game from that series was too derived from what we have now. I keep hearing how Morrowind had a better combat than Oblivion (And this seems similar to Oblivion from what I remember of it) but I don't know myself as I've never played Morrowind. But yeah, it's nice, I like blocking and then re-attacking, it feels smooth to me in the transitions. The archery is as exploitable as it's always been, but it's nice too.

I didn't think I could like a game this much. It's amazing.

The only negative is that it seems multiple stories lead to the same place, and if you don't know that you can get stuck. That quest I got around to doing using the console commands, turns out I needed a story I had not discovered until much later. I don't think Oblivion had many (if at all) instances of this but I've come across two so far and it's kind of annoying.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
ok now that I've had it for a few days I'll add my change.
this pertains to the PC version.

I'm one of those people who never actually played Oblivion or any Elder Scrolls game before this, so make of that what you will. I knew this one was going to be similar in fashion to Fallout 3/Vegas being that it was designed with essentially the same formula. apparently this is a formula they've been perfecting since the original ES games. and perfection is what they may have achieved; bottom line is that I LOVE Skyrim. it hasn't really disappointed in any measurable way so far and I'm definitely getting into the meat of the experience at level 10. in fact, from what was an already impressive introductory moment, Skyrim has only gotten better the deeper I trek into its world.

I love the simple martial sword play. imo, combat doesn't need to get any more complex than how it is right now. because it feels much more believable and gritty this way. melee combat is blunt and ugly in real life; not everyone who runs around with a sword is trained in over-the-top, acrobatic, Samurai style fighting maneuvers. the simplicity of the combat only adds to the outstanding level of immersion provided by this beautiful game.

and it really is worth it to stop and look around.
as somebody else mentioned, there really hasn't been a single moment so far in Skyrim where I feel bored of my surroundings. there isn't even a bad time of day or night. no matter where I am, indoors or out, my environment is always striking and awe inspiring from the epic mountain peaks and harrowing cavern depths to the sweeping valleys, broad lakes, rushing rivers, waterfalls, swamps, and ancient forests. then there's the dungeons and various villages/cities you pass through along the way. each is unique and varied in its design while sticking with the overall theme of the universe.

I really enjoy virtually everything about the game to this point. it probably helps that I'm able to run it @ max detail with no stutter. the visuals are truly something to behold in all their glory.
the only tiny negative that I found is how the user interface handles (on the PC). it's not exactly intuitive, but it also didn't take very long to become accustomed to it. also I can see why someone might argue that certain plot elements, quests, or dialogues and NPC's are a little weak in their presentation. but the sum total of how everything is executed easily overshadows such relatively miniscule concerns. the world of Skyrim already feels much more vibrant and alive than Fallout. and not because Fallout was about a "dead" world, but because of the improved behavior and interactions of Skyrim's inhabitants.

I'm quickly finding myself lost in the game for hours, time just runs away while playing because it's so easy to get enveloped in the experience. everything has been more or less flawless up to now. if my will power was any worse I'd have to say goodbye to my friends and family for awhile, a testament to how strong the finished product really is at drawing you in.

in a time when lots of people like to clamor about the death of PC gaming, it's actually been a great year for the desktop. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (soon to be Revelations), Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Saints Row The Third, Battlefield 3, and now Skyrim. and that's a conservative list considering you might add Shogun 2 Total War, Batman Arkham City, RAGE, Dead Space 2, Crysis 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.