Unreal Championship 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
How exactly was this game "built from the ground up for Xbox", if it started off as UT2005 for PC?

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Actually, what they did was take the UE 2.0 and optimize it completely for the Xbox. It looks and runs REALLY good as a result.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
Actually, what they did was take the UE 2.0 and optimize it completely for the Xbox. It looks and runs REALLY good as a result.

I suppose you mean it looks and runs good by xbox standards and to be honest I didn't play too many other games on the original Xbox for comparison, but I have to laugh to myself when reading that because the game looks like a blurry mess and the framerate is abysmal both on the original Xbox and emulated on the 360. Maps like DM-Solarflare become a slideshow with 6 players.

I can really see the potential though, and I think it's a terrible shame that they wasted it on console only. The game would be very beautiful indeed at a decent resolution with PC grade textures, AA, AF and presumably it only lacks ragdoll physics due to being on the Xbox. Not to mention being free of the gamepad handicap.

I wonder how things would have turned out if they had kept it as UT2005 for PC. I would have gladly forfeited UT2004 and waited. I didn't really have an issue with UT2003 and I'm still not sure whether the introduction of vehicles did the tournament any favors at all.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
IMO UC2 was hardly worth Unreal name. Its focus on 3rd person perspective, weapon/ammo system, melee combat and classes really distanced the game from classic Unreal mechanics.
While the game was unique on its own, it really felt like something else with Unreal name slapped on it.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
IMO UC2 was hardly worth Unreal name. Its focus on 3rd person perspective, weapon/ammo system, melee combat and classes really distanced the game from classic Unreal mechanics.
While the game was unique on its own, it really felt like something else with Unreal name slapped on it.

I have a soft spot for UC2, but I understand what you're saying and that's how I feel about Unreal 2 vs Unreal as well. That's another reason why I wish the game had remained UT2005 - the melee etc. would have never appeared, and I think it could have been a beautiful progression from UT2003.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's a fun game, it would have turned out a bit differently if it was a PC game. The limited weapons and class based stuff was there because of memory issues on the Xbox at the time.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I forgot to mention that UC2 has imo best announcer since original. That's where they got that right :)

Attachments

• double kill.wav
    170.5 KB · Views: 8
  • killing spree.wav
    184.8 KB · Views: 5
  • monster kill.wav
    263 KB · Views: 6

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
I forgot to mention that UC2 has imo best announcer since original. That's where they got that right :)

Absolutely. I love the filter they used and the way they had them fill the soundstage. The MK ones are a bit embarrassing though. In fact the whole MK presence irritates me a good deal, but that's probably just my purist mentality

My favourites:

Attachments

• Rampage.wav
    227.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Siphon.wav
    170.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Interception.wav
    192 KB · Views: 3
  • Massacre.wav
    149.3 KB · Views: 4

MakeMeUnreal

Oct 6, 2012
Hungary
What slideshow?
I did never experience it with my Original Xbox, and I still play it every week.
It worths Unreal name, that's for sure.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
What slideshow?
I did never experience it with my Original Xbox, and I still play it every week.

The game performs terribly, with low framerates and a lot of other general stutter too. I think it's the same CPU bottleneck you see in the rest of the UE2.X Unreal games when you start piling on the bots, only it's 100x more apparent on the crippleware console.

UC2 saw the xbox over-extended beyond it's limits, they should have released it as a launch title for the 360 instead. This might have also helped it get the attention it deserved, instead of becoming one of the most underrated console games in existence.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
I was looking at this game today and wow, some of the backdrops are so cool. I never really paid enough attention to them before. They're only 2D artworks, but they're very well detailed and you can see so much of the Nakhti city. I like the idea that the culture has fused it's historical architectural features into it's modern city, eg. the pyramid shaped buildings and sphinx statues etc.

Just imagine if Egypt underwent a Nazi-style revolution in the future by a radical movement who wanted to restore it to it's golden age, and they managed to build a neo-Egyptian equivalent of Welthauptstadt Germania with huge extravagant buildings and monuments everywhere (instead of slaves they could now use robots to facilitate such endeavors). In fact that was my theory for the Nakhti until I read just now on the Liandri Archives that they were a sample of ancient Egyptians seeded on a remote planet by aliens - I guess that works better because it explains all the maps with ancient Nakhti ruins. :D

Either way, this modern city is cool with all the grand edifices. Just look at DM-Legacy, wouldn't you like to walk down that huge causeway into the capital? And in DM-Nexus you can see a bridge crossing the river to another awesomel looking area. I want to get there. I want them to make another Unreal game where you can cruise around this city. It could be like a giant lobby for online players to hang out in and explore together between matches.

In Diablo I I used to go to the edges of the village and wish I could get past the stone wall into the surrounding forests and moorland. Diablo II came and with it's extensive outdoor maps, my wish was granted. Likewise, at the end of Assassin's Creed 2 you got to see Rome from the top of a huge wall - it was a huge area with 3D rendered buildings, but you couldn't get down there. Again, my wish was granted with Brotherhood, which gave the player access to Rome. I get the same feeling looking at the backdrops in UC2, but I don't suppose I'll ever get that wish fulfilled.

Last edited:

MakeMeUnreal

Oct 6, 2012
Hungary
I didn't encounter with that FPS drop you mention. I'll record the game on Solarfale with 6 bots, and we'll see if it's unplayable.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This one time, Brizz said he would send me a copy of UC2. I never did see that copy of UC2. Maybe he'll still send it to me one day. I can dream.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
Does anyone here have all of the following:

1) UC2.
2) NTSC Xbox 360 capable of playing it (BC).
3) A monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping or at least a 'maintain aspect' mode that can preserve 4:3 content?

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
Well, I got all the above, but it's PAL instead..

What I'm trying to figure out is why the the 360 won't display the game at it's native 4:3 resolution. Here is a reconstruction of what I see when I set the 360 to 480p, and 1:1 pixel map the resulting signal on my monitor:

JdQNdNL.png

- The black background is the monitor.
- The 'light black' area is the 640x480 signal from the 360 (visible because consoles use TV black reference which isn't as deep as PC black).
- And clearly the game is being squashed horizontally when it should be filling the entire 640x480 pixels. There shouldn't be any pillarboxing visible within the 640x480 area.

I want to know why this is happening. UC2 is rendered at 640x480, the 360 is set to 640x480, so why are they not matching? The 360 is doing some kind of internal underscan, and I was wondering if it might be to do with my hardware being PAL.

Why am I trying to do this? Well, the game was designed for the old 4:3 aspect ratio, and I'm not happy with the methods by which the 360 adapts it to 16:9 widecreen displays. When you have the 360 set to output 16:9 (ie. 1080p or 720p), it zooms the game in effectively cropping the top and bottom of the screen (aka. 'Vert-') so you see less of the game on widescreen displays than you do on 4:3 one. What's more, it doesn't even zoom in far enough to completely eliminate pillarboxing at the sides of the screen, so you end up with a pretty poor result. I would rather just maintain the whole original 4:3 image and put up with slightly wider pillarboxing. So all I want is the straight 640x480 as a raw, unscaled signal that I can put through my own upscaling hardware for what will hopefully give me a better result.

Last edited: