Could someone please create this mutator?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
Someone has written a demo of a forthcoming game, called Superhot (stupid, generic name :(), you can play it at

http://superhotgame.com/

The thing is, it's a (basic) first person shooter, with one unique point - time only moves when you do. It's probably better for you to try it than for me to describe it, but basically the entire gameworld and everything in it only advances in time when you move or shoot or look around or whatever. When you're not pressing a key (on your PC's keyboard) and not moving your mouse then the game world and anything in it is frozen in time. As long as you do anything (be it move, mouselook, shoot, etc) then time advances as normal, and the game's NPCs and whatever all proceed normally, but as soon as you (the player) cease all action then the game world freezes.

I think this would make an interesting mutator for Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004. It would get boring after a while I know, and it would only work for one human player matches, I think, as otherwise the game world would only become frozen when all human players stopped moving, which would be very rare, but even so it would make a great novelty mutator.

So if anyone here likes the idea, and has the skill to program it, then please think about making it into a mutator, as it could be great.

Thanks for reading.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
This could actually be done rather easily methinks.

Simply:
If Player = No Activity
Game Paused
If Player = Activity
Resume Game

Obviously that's not actual code by any stretch but it's just some pseudocode.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Yeah, I was thinking something along the lines of a dummy inventory item that would monitor the player's pawn's commanded acceleration vector (if VSize(pawn.acceleration) greater than zero means the player is pushing movement buttons) in 'tick' while listening for the "jump" command propagating through the OwnerEvent function, and polling the PlayerController owner's bFire and bAltFire inputs, and then adjust the Level's GameSpeed variable accordingly via "Level.Game.SetGameSpeed(NewGameSpeed);". You could even have a fancy "accelerate into/accelerate out of" curve in to the speed to keep it from seeming too abrupt...

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I guess the question now is, who will write it?

Not I, says Arnox. I can't code for crap.

Thanatosaurus

Feb 21, 2009
OK, but what if you're playing online? You're paused so everything else seems to be paused for you. But if other players aren't paused also, they will simply come and kill you without your having noticed it because they seem paused to you.

edit: The game doesn't load at all.

Last edited:

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
OK, but what if you're playing online? You're paused so everything else seems to be paused for you. But if other players aren't paused also, they will simply come and kill you without your having noticed it because they seem paused to you.

edit: The game doesn't load at all.

True, but I see it as a one human player only mutator, for playing against bots or single player campaign missions.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
"SUPER COLD" mutator

Try this mutator out. I put it together yesterday.
YM Super Cold

It basically mimics the game feature of only advancing time when you are moving. It seems to me this only really works well with projectile weapons similar to how super hot worked.... I may add a simple projectile pistol later.

Last edited:

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
YM Super Cold

It basically mimics the game feature of only advancing time when you are moving. It seems to me this only really works well with projectile weapons similar to how super hot worked.... I may add a simple projectile pistol later.

This is great! For some reason I can't set the 'slow' time to 0.0 (to make it freeze dead), the minimum is 0.10, so everything moves very slowly (when the human player isn't moving) isn't of freezing, but this is actually much better, it seems much more fun to have the game revert to very slow mode than to a dead stop.

Thanks very much for this, Meowcat, I've only tried it in Instant Action > Deathmatch so far (I'm at work, so I shouldn't be playing on the laptop, though I really want to play this mutator more :() and it seems fantastic.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
Meowcat, sorry to ask, but can you put this mod on the original Unreal Tournament, as well please? It would be great to have it on both UTs (I personally don't play UT3, but I love UT2004 and especially UT1999), but if you can't then fair enough, it's great just having this. Thanks again for making it, by the way.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
YM Super Cold

Nice. Thanks man. Will try it out.

EDIT: Tried it out. Very fun. It also looks great in demos. Only problem is that the transition between 1.0x speed to 0.1x speed is a little jarring in that there is no transition. lol Otherwise, thanks again.

Last edited:

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
@Kerr Avon: Thanks for trying it out! Although I did not test this, I've heard that setting the gamespeed to 0.0 will cause it to crash. Although the supercold mutator/inv_TimeChiller code itself clamps the gamespeed it attempts to set to 0.1 on the low end, the GameInfo class function SetGameSpeed also clamps the low end gamespeed to 0.1 (which I'm assuming is because things might start "misbehaving" on real low end values). You would have to write your own function to try and use a lower value than 0.1.

I will see about making a version of this for UT99 (its been about 8 years since I compiled anything for it) but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

@ Arnox:I will see about adding an "ease-in-ease-out" option in the next release. Thank you for the feedback!

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
@Kerr Avon: Thanks for trying it out! Although I did not test this, I've heard that setting the gamespeed to 0.0 will cause it to crash. Although the supercold mutator/inv_TimeChiller code itself clamps the gamespeed it attempts to set to 0.1 on the low end, the GameInfo class function SetGameSpeed also clamps the low end gamespeed to 0.1 (which I'm assuming is because things might start "misbehaving" on real low end values). You would have to write your own function to try and use a lower value than 0.1.

I will see about making a version of this for UT99 (its been about 8 years since I compiled anything for it) but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

@ Arnox:I will see about adding an "ease-in-ease-out" option in the next release. Thank you for the feedback!
Hm, isn't there a pause function? When you press F11 for example, it will pause the game but won't bring up the menu. You could just have it do that. But... I also like the .1 speed as well.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008

I see. 0.1 is fine, it's a lot of fun, and I really don't think a dead stop (which was what I proposed at first) would be anywhere near as enjoyable as continuing slow motion mode - a total freeze would be boring, come to think of it, so I really am very pleased with what you've given us here.

OK, mate, thanks. Did you finish with UT99 when UT2004 came out? I didn't, I always prefered UT99, though I do like UT2004 too (most of it, I don't like Bombing Run, and I think the Adrenalin system was pointless*). I don't like UT3 at all, sadly. And it doesn't look like we're going to see another UT game (or even a vaguely similar one by a different company) any time soon.

* To my mind, the only Unreal game where adrenalin worked was the almost brilliant Unreal Championship 2, which ridiculously never came out on the PC (it was for the original XBox only. I say "almost brilliant" as it did some things better than any other Unreal game ever, but had a couple of ridiculous flaws (and an uncharacteristic lack of configurability in the mutators and game options department) that drag it down.

That could be interesting, but please if you do add that then make it an option, as I like the way it is now, so I'd like to be able to select the current method, please.