Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I don't get the discrepancy in score with this movie. One of my friends said it was absolutely terrible, yet another said it was amazing and a must see.

Is it like a certain type of humor that only cult followers of this guy can appreciate?

Drag Me to Hell
Not so much cult followers but more people who like Raimi's take on comedy/horror.

If you liked his Evil Dead films and Darkman you'll love this film.

I suppose a lot of people would go to see it because it was "made by the director of the Spiderman movies" but it is as far from those types of films as possible.

This is classic Raimi, not classic DC or Marvel comics......

I'm not so convinced by this theory. The trailers for this film don't hint at all that the movie would be akin to the Evil Dead movies. I've not seen it myself but i do like the Evil Dead movies and i have no inclination to watch Drag me To Hell, it's a personal pov but i can't see where people would find the suggestion that they'd be getting more of the "Evil Dead" esque horror from the film. Maybe the film is very much like it when you watch it but the trailer is not indicative i don't believe.

Horor movies are generally hit and miss, love/hate things. If you don't like it don't be shocked if someone else loves it, you don't need conspiracies of "cults" or "fanboys" or whatever, they may exist but you don't need them.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Maybe the film is very much like it when you watch it but the trailer is not indicative i don't believe.
I'm thinking its more the way suspense is built, camera angles, use of sound, style of humour, etc that makes it the way it is. The story/setting may be different but it still has that same feel to it.

Sticking with teh horror theme. :p

Friday The 13th (2009 Remake)
Standard predictable stuff. I'll have to say I don't remember how the original movie goes, so I won't compare it to that. Your average group of American college/university ethnically varied c**ts go to the lake-house for a nice weekend away from home, playing drinking games, smoking pot and having sex. Basically stuff they would have done any other time in any other movie, except theres a lake in the background and theres a killer around (oh noes!). I couldn't care less about who died first because they were all pretty much the last person you'd want to be stuck in a room with for more than 5 minutes anyway.

Doesn't this guy look like a bad copy from a Tom Cruise manufacturing line?

[SCREENSHOT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Slainchild/aa841b95.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
He dies horrifically. :rockon:
So the only redeeming things about the rest of the movie are the parts where Jason murders the whiny immature little sh*ts. The best one has to be where, a naked female character (no I don't remember her dumb blonde name) gets skewered. I've made an animated .gif of the moment in question (NSFW 1.8mb): http://i27.tinypic.com/avlyf5.gif

Theres a 20 minute "intro" that was better than the rest of the film if you ask me. It basically sets you up for the rest of it by showing you what happened to another bunch of college idiots that went camping by this lake. Basically they all die within 15 minutes of setting up their tents. You are also introduced to Jason, and a flashback scene showing why he bacame the way he is. Meh. From what I could gather, he grows marijuana plants in his back garden to lure the college students to his shack, and has a Buffalo Bill style basement where he takes people to be chopped up and stuff. All because he wants revenge for the murder of his mother 20 years ago who was killed by a pesky college student. Yeah...

The ending was as rediculous as you might expect too.

I'll give it 3/5 since it was amusing in parts (mainly the killing and murdering parts).

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Goonies!

This stuff is so awesome and retro.

I wonder what happened to that evil old fat lady.
Never seen her since. She probably died of liver failure.

Friday The 13th (2009 Remake)
Standard predictable stuff. I'll have to say I don't remember how the original movie goes, so I won't compare it to that. Your average group of American college/university ethnically varied c**ts go to the lake-house for a nice weekend away from home, playing drinking games, smoking pot and having sex. Basically stuff they would have done any other time in any other movie, except theres a lake in the background and theres a killer around (oh noes!). I couldn't care less about who died first because they were all pretty much the last person you'd want to be stuck in a room with for more than 5 minutes anyway.

dude, it's a F13th remake, what did you expect?
(btw, the first movie only had a glimpse of Jason, it was all about his mother, so this remake is more just a spirit of the series)
________
Prilosec lawsuit settlements

Last edited:
Funny Games - 2/10

This was recommended to be by a "film guy" friend of mine who ensured me that it was a artistic movie. Yeah, artistic. I'm referring to the remake, starring Michael Pitt, Tim Roth, and Naomi Watts...although I'm told it's a shot-for-shot remake directed by the same guy who made the original.

I was intrigued when I heard Roth's name. But....yeah. This is an excruciating movie to watch. Not for it's content...which is far tamer and unoriginal than it thinks it is. But for its pacing. Slllllloooooooooowwwwww. There's a twenty minute sequence in here where you watch Naomi Watts drag her husband around a living room (because his legs have been broken by golf clubs) from two static cameras. I had no sympathy for the victims because they were wimpy and acted like clueless morons, and they get terrorized by two psychopaths that I could only believe would pick these kinds of people to terrorize. Yes, that's right. It's a preppy teenager killer vs rich white people movie. It's the kind of movie some folks might tell you is good because it has an unconventional approach to shooting scenes and generally plays by its own rules. And all of that is true.

But what's also true is that it is a piece of ****.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
i can't see where people would find the suggestion that they'd be getting more of the "Evil Dead" esque horror from the film.
For a start it's got a lot of the old Raimi "let's have the main character get beaten up and thrown around by demons" slapstick. In my opinion Raimi's original style owes a lot to the Three Stooges (yes, that's right; those guys) when it comes to the slapstick comedy of his films.

Public Enemy- 6/10

I found this film dragged a bit at 155 minutes in length. In my opinion the audience really doesn't connect with the characters in a big way for most of the flick and it seems seems a bit direction-less.

For me though that isn't the main problem with the movie. Mann's visual style, that shot on video for film look, works great when the films have a contemporary context (such as Heat or Collateral) but, in my opinion, it doesn't help play an historical context well at all. There are one or two night shots where the visual style does add something to the flick but in general that, and 155 minutes of hand held camera work, begins to grate on the senses.

Little Miss Sunshine- 8.5/10

There are time when a film comes along that is a real surprise and a joy to watch. I didn't expect what this film gave me and it turned about to be quite a story with comedy which was both character driven and situational and combined in about the right amounts.

I found myself immediately connecting to the characters and the story and had a great time with this flick.

:tdown:Fairy King of Ayr- Minus 1 Million/10

This a story for the kids and definitely the movie you should show them if you want them to know how not to make films. This piece of crap would have to, definitely, be the worst f***ing movie ever made.:tdown:

Last edited:

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Little Miss Sunshine- 8.5/10

There are time when a film comes along that is a real surprise and a joy to watch. I didn't expect what this film gave me and it turned about to be quite a story with comedy which was both character driven and situational and combined in about the right amounts.

I found myself immediately connecting to the characters and the story and had a great time with this flick.
:tup:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I don't get the discrepancy in score with this movie. One of my friends said it was absolutely terrible, yet another said it was amazing and a must see.

The more you sit and watch it the more you want to pull off and see how the plot is miserable. I'm not here to spoil anything, but it gets hilariously bad near the end. Those who watched know what I'm talking about.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Public Enemies: 8/10

I enjoyed this movie but it was a little long and it played out a little bit like Heat's little brother: not as clever or as involving, but nearly as cool. In enjoyed Bale's take on Purvis, a man compromising his values for his job under Hoover's thumb and Marion Cotillard was absolutely perfect. Regarding the look: I get annoyed by people who insist that somehow using modern techniques takes away from period pieces. It's silly. Should all books written about the Victorian times be written in a Victorian style? Of course not. I thought the grittiness of the digital fit the context well, but that's just me.

Buffalo '66 6/10

Just weird. Christina Ricci was great, but I spent the film wondering why a girl like her was putting up with all that was going on. It wasn't that she WOULDN'T, but that her motivations were the only thing keeping me their. In the end, they don't bother trying to explain her in any way and focus on the silly story of an idiot psycho. Actors shouldn't write and direct their own movies, because they end up like this Vincent Gallo flick.

Cecile B. Demented 9/10

I can't believe I just saw this. What a perfect skewering of both the hollywood system and the indy nutcases that boycott it. Using broad brushstrokes and silly caricatures, this movie somehow overcomes its limitations and comes off as not a rant against the mainstream system (what it appears to be at first), but as a mocking of anyone who defends movies just because they are a type and it celebrates reason in choosing which films to enjoy among the dreck. I was surprised. Also, watching Stephen Dorff being insane makes me want to watch Blade....

~Jason

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Public Enemies: 8/10

Regarding the look: I get annoyed by people who insist that somehow using modern techniques takes away from period pieces.
I really don't think it worked, and that's my opinion. In my opinion it makes the movie look cheap and made for TV and gives it the same look as most bad TV soap (that I would never watch).

No need to be annoyed though......
Those who watched know what I'm talking about.
I'm sure those who watch(ed) it can make up their own opinion K.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I really don't think it worked, and that's my opinion. In my opinion it makes the movie look cheap and made for TV and gives it the same look as most bad TV soap (that I would never watch).

No need to be annoyed though......

Oh, not aimed at you at all, sorry. People that simply dislike the look of the film-that's just taste. People that don't like the look BECAUSE they don't feel that 'modern' look imposed on the period are appropriate are the people who annoy me.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Buffalo '66 6/10

Just weird. Christina Ricci was great, but I spent the film wondering why a girl like her was putting up with all that was going on. It wasn't that she WOULDN'T, but that her motivations were the only thing keeping me their. In the end, they don't bother trying to explain her in any way and focus on the silly story of an idiot psycho. Actors shouldn't write and direct their own movies, because they end up like this Vincent Gallo flick.

That movie was weird as hell! I don't even think I bothered to rate it because I was just like "WUT" at the end.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Oh, not aimed at you at all, sorry. People that simply dislike the look of the film-that's just taste. People that don't like the look BECAUSE they don't feel that 'modern' look imposed on the period are appropriate are the people who annoy me.
I get what you're saying.

I do agree that the length of the film was probably a bit too much.

In my opinion Heat is still his best film but others may disagree. Collateral is a great film too. I'm sure I'll be seeing Public Enemy again when it comes out on DVD.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Prinzessinnenbad. An interesting documentary about teenage life in lower-class Berlin. Coming from comparable backgrounds, the three friends differ a lot from each other - it's hinted at that they have already grown apart for some time, and in the coming years, due to their changing natures and their changing environment, might have less and less to do with each other. It's both an insight into the realities of the lives of working-class families, as well as a message that these realities don't necessarily lead down one singular track, with no means to break out. 8/10

Jacob's Ladder. Weird. I never quite knew where I was with this movie - fantasy horror, conspiracy theory, anti-war? It's all three, really, with a somewhat anti-climactic ending that seems too easy considering the scenes leading up to it. Rich in symbolism, especially of the biblical kind, and with horror parts that were actually scary, it might have worked even better if it had concentrated on only that. Nevertheless, this one's a real keeper if you just let it work on you. 8/10

Cold Mountain. First American Civil War movie I've seen that shows more than formations and battalion musicians: gritty battles, soldiers dying in mud, piles of corpses. Other than that, the film mostly unravels in the expected ways. Jude Law's and Nicole Kidman's characters are boring (and their interactions terribly cheesy), so is Renée Zellweger's, but at least she makes up for it with a remarkable performance. The movie works fine as a travel adventure, telling stories of the South during the Civil War. It does not work as a lovestory. 6/10

Live Free or Die Hard. Dear God, a classic case of technology in movies. It hurts. And hey, maybe killing hackers doesn't usually require professionals, but you'd expect them to do a little better than that. The characters are non-existing. And once again, terrorists speak in their native language only when they're easy to understand. The fighter jet scene is one of the most retarded minutes of action in movie history. Cool one-liners though, but you'd expect that from a John McClane movie. 4/10

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Clash of the Titans: Badass/10

Sure the quality is sub par and effects that were meant to be serious make you laugh, but the movie it self is just awesome.

I saw this ages ago in middle school Greek mythology classes. But found it today on Netflix streaming, had to watch it.

G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra - LOL/10

No wonder they did not show it to movie reviewers.

Last edited:

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - 9/10

An emotional story of a man who has a stroke and goes into what is known as 'locked in syndrome' essentially paralysing him and making him unable to speak. He is trained by two (very hot) speech therapists how to communicate with his eyelids. The movie manages to be humorous, insightful and gut wrenching all at once. The entire film is played from the first person perspective of the paralysed man in question (except for some flashbacks and when he imagines things).

You really feel the sense of being 'locked in' that is described (also referring to a diving bell - think of the big daddy suits in bioshock, but you can't get out. EVER).

Here is a trailer which pretty much gives the gist of it.

Totally worth watching.