If UT4 was announced...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
How did you not find it useful?

Personally I just never cared for it. Refresh my memory on this as it might be hazy, but the only use for it that was even remotely viable was in VCTF and carrying the bomb thingy in warfare. Even then I would find myself either getting prematurely knocked down, or my view would get wonky and my tether would snap loose if attached to a vehicle.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Personally I just never cared for it. Refresh my memory on this as it might be hazy, but the only use for it that was even remotely viable was in VCTF and carrying the bomb thingy in warfare. Even then I would find myself either getting prematurely knocked down, or my view would get wonky and my tether would snap loose if attached to a vehicle.

Because you are doing it WRONG!

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
If UT4 was announced I would nerdrage, then hop into the car, drive down to Cary, then poke Mark Rein repeatedly with a hot iron until he agrees to greenlight Unreal 3 instead.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be going back to my hole here.

Hmm, let's think. Maybe ditch the mega-armor look to many of the characters, don't make any black voice actors say anything (poor bastards), and avoid making guns that have guns built on top of their guns. But I'd pretty much give a new UT a go if they made one. Why not? I still very much like the first UT, though, and I think that if Epic seriously wanted to go back to the almighty U they should take another shot at Unreal instead. They've had a go at the Tournament thing quite a few times now.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
A propper introduction level that teaches newbs the basics.

Weapons\vehichles get unlocked over 10 days of playing to suck newbs in.

Not using bodybilders on roids as the basis of the 3d meshing.

Humour.

In game freedom to mess around, not high intensity chockepoints.

All matches occur in a persistent universe on small groups of servers, to generate community cohesion.

awergh

Apr 12, 2008
Hmm I think if UT4 was announced I would be excited yet not expecting much which is how I thought about UT3 since I wasn't expecting much because of ut2004 which I thought was inferior to UT99 (I haven't actually play ut2003 so I won't include that one).

UT3 was better then I expected in that I liked it better then ut2004 but it still wasn't as good as UT99 it just wasn't quite as good I still reckon that double jump is the most useless thing ever it just means you have to double jump where you used to normal jump to making it completely pointless in my opinion, its much better as a mutator.

but anyway for UT4 I would just want UT99 remade with better graphics and netcode then I'd be happy oh and just as easy to add maps and stuff not like UT3 where I had to look up how to actually install a mod and a map, why did they change it?

Unreal III would be good although some people might be confused but thats their problem, I really should finish Unreal (please don't kill me for not having finished it), my only problem with Unreal is its sometime hard to work out what to do but maybe I just don't have a clue??

A propper introduction level that teaches newbs the basics.
Like the tutorial levels in UT99 for DM,CTF,DOM,AS ?

Weapons\vehichles get unlocked over 10 days of playing to suck newbs in.
I think that would be a little putting off because people who know UT would have to wait possibly 10 days for their favorite weapon to be avaiable

Not using bodybilders on roids as the basis of the 3d meshing.
Definitely, variety is always a good thing to.

All matches occur in a persistent universe on small groups of servers, to generate community cohesion.
but that makes it sound like you just cant run up a server and do what ever makes it sound more limited to me, maybe I'm just scared of those nasty people who don't release the dedicated server client publicly.

I'm not quite sure how a persistent universe would work? don't quite see how it suits UT maybe I'm missing something which wouldn't surprise me but it doesn't seem necessary unless you have a destructible environment and all the decals stay so you can see all past battles but that would be a pretty heavy load for CPU and GPU.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Complete reboot of the franchise. Go back to Unreal Tournament 99 style gameplay with UT3 balance. No more double jump, bring back single jump. Gametypes are TDM, DM, CTF, Domination, Assault. If game sales are good enough make an expansion pack that adds VCTF, Warfare, buttslaught, w/e.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
UT3 was better then I expected in that I liked it better then ut2004 but it still wasn't as good as UT99 it just wasn't quite as good I still reckon that double jump is the most useless thing ever it just means you have to double jump where you used to normal jump to making it completely pointless in my opinion, its much better as a mutator.

but anyway for UT4 I would just want UT99 remade with better graphics and netcode then I'd be happy oh and just as easy to add maps and stuff not like UT3 where I had to look up how to actually install a mod and a map, why did they change it?

If you like UT1 so much, why not play it? :p I'd say that variations are healthy, since people can see different approaches to the same things and decide which one of those they like the best.

About the installation - that's actually a case of fridge brilliance. While it's different, it is very much useful - in vanilla UT1/UT2004, you install a ton of mods, then your game gets corrupted or you have to reinstall for some other reason, and bam - all your mods are gone. Here, you can reinstall UT3 as much as you want, your mods and settings are always safe.

Oh, and about gametypes - add Conquest!

awergh

Apr 12, 2008
hmm I don't think I really noticed I thought UT99 was fine everything can kill pretty easily except enforcer and impact hammer which is a bit harder.

UT2004 is no good cause the weapons are nerfed, not that I have looked into it much but I know it's true.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
hmm I don't think I really noticed I thought UT99 was fine everything can kill pretty easily except enforcer and impact hammer which is a bit harder.

UT2004 is no good cause the weapons are nerfed, not that I have looked into it much but I know it's true.
The UT weapons are balanced for modem players.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Just for interest sake I've modified the Smartjump and controller to be as ergonomic as possible.
It basically gives me a dedicated "dodge in any direction you moving" button and a "normal jump" button.
Had to change the button layout via console commands though.

Code:
setbind XboxTypeS_RightShoulder GBA_Fire
setbind XboxTypeS_RightTrigger GBA_AltFire
setbind XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder smartjump
setbind XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger jump
setbind XboxTypeS_LeftThumbstick GBA_WeaponPicker
setbind XboxTypeS_RightThumbstick nextweapon

And and idea of the layout:

xbox360controller.jpg

1. Normal Jump
3. Smart Jump.

2.Secondary fire
3.Primary Fire

8. Weapon Wheel
9. Next Weapon

Can do some pretty cool stuff now with the gamepad (even with dodgejumping) that you wouldn't be able to do with the normal configuration at all. I did this on a logitech controller though so I don't have triggers.
You can move, jump, aim, shoot and change weapons at the same time.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Because you are doing it WRONG!

You're a wrong :awkward:

Unreal 3 FTW indeed. I'm surprised they haven't picked the idea up yet, there's a high demand for it :\

Just because a few nerds are requesting it does not mean it will sell well. This is a common mistake Hollywood is doing with movies and does not need to be carried over.. They peek at message boards and see all this hype that is going around thinking the movie will rake in tons of money, and it just flat out falters. Kickass and Scott Pilgrim are perfect examples of this.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
They peek at message boards and see all this hype that is going around thinking the movie will rake in tons of money, and it just flat out falters. Kickass and Scott Pilgrim are perfect examples of this.
It might help if Hollywood wasn't like "Let's make a Michael Cera-like movie out of this interesting content! Social awkwardness is all the rage in these days!

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Indeed. Of course it won't sell if it gets half-baked. But if it's done to a turn, it should sell like hot pancakes.

...pardon the barrage of culinary puns :D

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Yeah, that's exactly what UT4 needs. pancakes.
Smother your enemy with pancakes, moments before launch graced by the fragtacular fragrance of your buttocks bile.

Oh well, in all honesty about UT4. If I want to play UT1, I'll go play UT1.
I wouldn't mind seeing different type of characters either (the bulky armor gladiators became a bit stale) and aside from the Krall.. they're pretty much all human(oids) and naturally all bipeds.
(Why not something more creative that wobbles or slides around the arena, or four legs etc. really out of this world because the name of the game is UNREAL, isn't it?)

More colors, definitely more colors.

But I'd rather see an Unreal 3 game in the style of Unreal 1. NOT a copy of the first game, though. That would be silly. Times have changed.

Last edited: