Unreal Engine 3 At E3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Scaleform is okay. You can create nice looking UIs with it, but not functionally great. Or at least, the UIs of BioShock and Mass Effect sucked when it came down to function.

But I guess you could do it proper, the devs simply didn't do it. Just like with the standard UE3 UI stuff.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
i would have liked to see EPIC do some of the things id Software is doing with their tech. id tech 5's ability to have artists working in the same build over a network. to me as an artist i think that specifically would help me out during game development. the idea of working on an area and then turn around to see other areas being populated with art assets would really unify level designers and environment artists in a very efficient way we haven't seen before.

anything to reduce development time and while Unreal Engine 3 is no doubt looking fantastic i'm not seeing or missing features that make things easier on artists. i see new effects and that is in fact more for an artist to learn. as things become more complex on the art side of things i would just like to see more robust and creative ways to make the level design and art collaboration that takes place easier. BUT, don't get me wrong. i really like what i see and currently its the engine i would choose to licence.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I wondering if this going to shown behind closed doors or part of the show floor at E3, as I am going and would be cool to see this stuff first hand.

Here's the relevant parts of the press release:

CARY, N.C. (May 15, 2009) – Epic Games, Inc., invites interested parties to visit its meeting suite (South Hall #302, Los Angeles Convention Center) next month at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) where the newest Unreal Engine 3 features for PC, Xbox 360® and PLAYSTATION®3 will be demonstrated in closed door presentations for its prospective customers, evaluators, licensees, and members of its Integrated Partners Program. Epic Games staff will also be on hand to answer questions for licensees and those who are thinking about licensing the engine...

...Those wishing to individually meet with Epic should email Mark Rein and specify three possible meeting times, the number of people planning to attend, and whether those individuals would like to see a technology demonstration, chat with Epic business representatives, speak with Epic technical representatives or see to other matters. Availability may be limited, so please respond early. Those unable to confirm an appointment in advance are invited to drop by, and Epic will do its best to accommodate visitors.