Quake Live Opens

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Not that I know of Murphy

Tip for those who are new to Q3 and playing CA: Rocket jumping can save your life in tight situations. It only takes away from your armor and never your health.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
i'm surprised at some comments here. its only quake III arena for free? hmm, no offense but what did you expect? also any issues you run into with the game you MUST remember its beta. this has all been said before but comments i believe that are completely unfair to id keep rolling in.

the idea of a beta test is to report problems unless already addressed by news updates. imagine how fantastic it would be to have UT99 live, or other developers putting their old games out there for free. personally i thought quake III arena has been the only pure DM game that can compete with UT99, just my opinion. so take it for what it is. i' not aying because its free there shouldn't be complaints. but to complain that its only quake III arena for free is like me coming here complaining that beyond unreal is a fansite for games affiliated with Unreal Engine, UT and Gears.

so id putting an old game out for free, deserves a lot of credit. now wheres Starcraft Live? ohhh yeah.

shaka when the walls fell. SleepyHe4d

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
also any issues you run into with the game you MUST remember its beta.
Wow take a chill pill. In no way I am bashing the game, I'm a pretty regular player (Even with the annoying 1FPS drop thingy). I'm just trying to figure out why it can't run on my laptop as opposed to the desktop machine (There's no system reqs for the game, obviously for the very reason that any computer sold today will run QLive without troubles). Way to go for providing no help at all but targeting those who are genuinely looking for it.

So, anyone on how to disable CPU throttling (Or power management, or whatever it's called that makes the CPU run at lower speeds when it is idling...) in Windows Vista? I've done it on XP, and apart from the OS & hardware that's the only major different thing between the two (I think).
If not for QLive, at least it will make some other program run better (read: actually work properly).

EDIT: Another thing I will do is try wired vs wireless. The desktop is wired, and since my router is cwap, wireless might be the problem...

Last edited:

Defeat

Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Have you tried another browser? Sorry if you already tried it and I forgot ;x

For power management for Vista it's probaly in the Control Panel Under Power Options. Select High Performance or mess around with the customizations for each one.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Computer is always set to high performance (Except when it's not plugged in, but when it's not plugged in I don't play games). Yet I doubt it affects the CPU throttle, because every time I launch SUPER (A video converter program) it reports a problem with the CPU Speed (it shows something around 600Mhz usually) when clearly I have more: dual core 2250 Mhz.

I will try to look in the advanced settings.

Another thing I will do is wire the laptop. The desktop is wired always, maybe if I wire the laptop the problem will go away (The router is pretty crap I think. Has good features and control software but I have doubts about the performance, but since it's the modem/router provided by the ISP it cannot be changed).

EDIT: Hmm. It seems I have found how to solve SUPER's CPU speed problem. Good.

EDIT: Lag is still there, although it seems less present than before. Maybe it's a placebo though :D

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I just tested some custom HUDs and I must say, this is a lot better.
Only now do I notice how crummy the default HUD is. I can barely see my health status without looking down and reading the numbers. That's not too helpful, since doing that will get me killed.

I now have the numbers twice as big, and they gradually change color from blue(120+) to white(100) to red(low) depending on health/armor status, like they used to do in CPMA.

Now I can just see a certain colour in my peripherals and instantly know how I'm doing. Infinitely better:D

Also, added some binds to finally learn megahealth/quad timing.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
It now looks a bit like this, only with bigger numbers.
Oh, and the clock now changes colours every 25 seconds.

Attachments

• shot0003.jpg
    shot0003.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 36

Defeat

Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I don't know what this kid was on but I met someone who was convinced the bigger models like Tank Jr. had more armor and some models ran faster than others. Good times D:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Hehe yeah, some players just don't seem to understand what kind of a game quake is. You can't blame them, though. Some of them grew up on Halo and other such shooters. It's no surprise that the concept of a completely fair, aggressive-paced arena shooter is alien to them.

Speaking of completely fair, the rocket launcher is still WAY to strong compared to LG and some other weapons, though mostly the LG.
There's a thread over at the official forums and one poster in particular did some math and calculated this:

In CA, at 200/200 health/armor, and with your starting 150 LG ammo, to kill just ONE guy, you need 7.5 seconds of 54% accuracy LG fire. Let me highlight that.
7.5 SECONDS OF 54% ACCURACY AND ALL YOUR LG AMMO TO KILL ONE GUY.

That's just ridiculous.
I pride myself on pretty decent aim, a tier 4 duel/TDM/CTF player (3 on CA) and I only have about 40% average with the LG. That means I can't even kill one dude with full LG ammo.

Compare this to the RL, 35 starting ammo, fire rate about 1.50/s and it only takes 4 direct hits to kill a player, so about 5-6 with splash damage which comes to about 4 seconds of mediocre spamming. That's not even hard. Add to that the knockback and you've got yourself an overpowered weapon.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Why, exactly, should it be more powerful? Because of realism? In Quake? ;)

It's a simple equation really.
RL: Enough ammo to kill between 8 and 5 enemies, easy aiming, splash damage, knockback and the ability to hit multiple targets. Also, rocket jumping for additional movement options.

LG: Barely enough ammo to kill one enemy at good accuracy, requires constant steady aim while dodging rockets and other projectiles, can only hit one target at once, buzzing sound to give position away, no splash.

Also, I haven't found any significant difference in the locations of both weapon pickups. Sometimes the RL is in a dangerous location, sometimes the LG. So no risk/reward there.

I'm confused.

Defeat

Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Hehe yeah, some players just don't seem to understand what kind of a game quake is. You can't blame them, though. Some of them grew up on Halo and other such shooters. It's no surprise that the concept of a completely fair, aggressive-paced arena shooter is alien to them.

Speaking of completely fair, the rocket launcher is still WAY to strong compared to LG and some other weapons, though mostly the LG.
There's a thread over at the official forums and one poster in particular did some math and calculated this:

In CA, at 200/200 health/armor, and with your starting 150 LG ammo, to kill just ONE guy, you need 7.5 seconds of 54% accuracy LG fire. Let me highlight that.
7.5 SECONDS OF 54% ACCURACY AND ALL YOUR LG AMMO TO KILL ONE GUY.

That's just ridiculous.
I pride myself on pretty decent aim, a tier 4 duel/TDM/CTF player (3 on CA) and I only have about 40% average with the LG. That means I can't even kill one dude with full LG ammo.

Compare this to the RL, 35 starting ammo, fire rate about 1.50/s and it only takes 4 direct hits to kill a player, so about 5-6 with splash damage which comes to about 4 seconds of mediocre spamming. That's not even hard. Add to that the knockback and you've got yourself an overpowered weapon.

I prefer rockets being OP compared to the LG personally :X LG still has it's insane pushback

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Well, there's being overpowered, and there's being WTFOVERPOWERED?!?! ;)
I agree that the RL should be a bit more powerful than the LG, but only a bit.
It's a fun weapon to use and there's the issue that you have to predict shots a bit.

However, even without taking the rockets into account, the LG is ridiculously weak at these settings. About the only thing it's useful for is slowing down the movement of a player while the rest of your team deals actual damage :/
Also, the rockets have insane pushback too, only for the RL, you actually go flying so you're even easier to hit.

Last edited:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Nice enough vid.

Just tried QL. Got to the part where you play crash to match your skill or whatever and it seems that this game makes my browser hang.
I can play for about 30 seconds, then my browser hangs for 30 seconds - rinse and repeat. Got frustrated that this 10 min warmup game was apparently going to take 20 minutes or more and gave up. :)