So it's been ten years...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
since I started my exploration of the mysterious planet zumboxiwi ... ehmmm... napali isn't it? Ok, that's settled.

Since I woke up the devastated ship vortex rikers, and slowly found my way to the mesmerizing world outside.

On a crappy computer, producing horrible framerates on a low 640x480 resolution (I suppose), fighting my way through abandoned mines, temples and whatnot. Facing the walking menaces called brutes, the infamous skaarj trap, a hostile and at the same time inviting world called Unreal.

All I can say is that both Unreal and UT have given me an enormous amount of gaming pleasure, more online than offline though. Met some great people, and what's more fun than playing the game with good buddies?

Sure, you've given me the occasional headache, and let me curse quite a few times. But that's all part of it. The good outweighs the bad.

And I still haven't found that bastard skaarj clogging the toilets in Sunspire.
:mad: bastiche!

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
And those endless loading times! But it was worth it.

I can't remember which level (out of the first 6-7) lagged most, nyleve or chizra. Looking back on that, I'm not sure I could play like that again. Unreal sure hooked me.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Actually I find it quite awesome. I like it, played (through) it multiple times since.

edit: My Unreal "career" started with Unreal 2. Then sometimes later i got UT2k4, played mostly singleplayer, later rpg invasion and some DM where i mostly got owned. Bought UT3 on release and play it up to today. And then I got Unreal probably a year ago.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I can't remember which level (out of the first 6-7) lagged most, nyleve or chizra. Looking back on that, I'm not sure I could play like that again. Unreal sure hooked me.
I think I was hooked by the flypast. On the basis that the flypast was the level that I played the most. :) Endless hours tweaking to try and squeeze another 0.1 fps out of the system

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Bi()ha2arD said:
Actually I find it quite awesome. I like it, played (through) it multiple times since.

Giood to hear! I suppose some people just can't make the switch back? They're missing out on an unique game.

- Ironmonkey

I loved that flyby even more when I had discovered the "behindview" and "summon playerpawn" commands ;)

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
Skaarj rule. Krall fail.

:lol::D

well yeah...unreal is an outstanding game. rtnp the sequel is very well made.i still like to play those maps via oldschool mutator on coop with some good buddies.
a good game is like a car...its not important when its made...it matters how its made ;)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
I remember when I first played this in 1998 or so and I was actually SCARED by the screaming in the Vortex Rikers. Yeah. Scared. By that.

It wasn't until I played System Shock 2 that I experienced real fear, but that toughened me up after a while. Now I can play Dead Space without even flinching :p

If I went back in time and made my 1998-self play Dead Space, though, I think I would have quit playing video games forever.

lovebug

Dec 26, 2009
where have those 10 years gone?

Unreal was one of the first games I ever played. I played the single player game and then played DM. I then discovered coop , great fun playing the levels in a group...met some fun people and we used to play hide n seek games on certain maps, it was so much fun! In the games that I used to start we could do all sorts of tricks, i learnt so many summoning codes i had a book with them all written in! does anyone remember the rainbow gun? FAB! Then after playing in a number of clans I found unreal infiltration and got sucked into that world, met (online of course) some really great peole and had many great great laughs. Unreal will always have a special place in my heart :) x

Last edited:

lovebug

Dec 26, 2009
HELLO!!! Speak english boy, cant you see Im new here!! If the threads are so old then delete them!

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
To explain what you have just done in words you can understand: You went to a graveyard, unearthed a corpse that was burried three months ago and gave it a... uhh, let's say kiss.

lovebug

Dec 26, 2009
yes yes i hear ya but come on...Im new here, I joined the beyond UNREAL forum today to talk to other people who enjoyed playing Unreal (back in the day)....or is this subject no longer in discussion? Maybe I should have started a new thread instead. :p