Share Your Old Hardware

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
Things I'm looking for:

Anything more power than an AMD Duron 1.8GHZ
Anything faster/more capabilities than a 3D Blaster 4 MX420 (Like the GeForce, but slightly faster)

semperfiguy

Mar 18, 2005
California
Geforce 4 TI4800 128 MB Video Card

iami-psychdreams
you wouldn't by any chance still have that 128 mb video card would you...I'm new to the post, and the game, and i've noticed that my game takes forever to download the maps....I currently have a GeForce MX 4000 64 MB video card, but correct me if i'm wrong the GeForce 4 TI4800 128 MB Video Card is better? Let me know, and I'll be more than happy to work something out.
P.S. If you can't tell, I'm completely ignorant of these hardware/software issues with gaming, but I'll catch on eventually thanks.
Semper Fi Guy (AKA Renegade)

Last edited:

semperfiguy

Mar 18, 2005
California
MY COMPUTER INFORMATION FOR UT2k4

Speaking of which can anyone tell me if they see any discepancies with my settings...I know this is'nt the site I should be asking, but you gentlemen seem to know alot about what it takes to run this game...I'd appreciate any information you could provide. My stats are as follows:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2
Intel Celeron Processor 902 MHz, 128 MB of RAM
Computer: ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce MX 4000
DVD/CD Rom Drive: HP CD-Writer cd16f - can't find how fast it is...
AXV CD/DVD-Rom SCSI CD Rom Device - Dont know what
this is, because we have no DVD Player...
Net Connection: Motorola Surfboard(R) Cable Modem
Network Adapter: SMC EZ Card PCI 10 Adapter (SMC1208)
Value: TP Half Duplex
I dont think you all need that last bit of information....I'm just wondering what I need to make my computer better...and remember I work for the Marine Corps so I dont get paid that much...haha...thanks for your help.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
semperfiguy said:
Speaking of which can anyone tell me if they see any discepancies with my settings...I know this is'nt the site I should be asking, but you gentlemen seem to know alot about what it takes to run this game...I'd appreciate any information you could provide. My stats are as follows:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2
Intel Celeron Processor 902 MHz, 128 MB of RAM
Computer: ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce MX 4000
DVD/CD Rom Drive: HP CD-Writer cd16f - can't find how fast it is...
AXV CD/DVD-Rom SCSI CD Rom Device - Dont know what
this is, because we have no DVD Player...
Net Connection: Motorola Surfboard(R) Cable Modem
Network Adapter: SMC EZ Card PCI 10 Adapter (SMC1208)
Value: TP Half Duplex
I dont think you all need that last bit of information....I'm just wondering what I need to make my computer better...and remember I work for the Marine Corps so I dont get paid that much...haha...thanks for your help.
You have three big chokepoints. Processor, RAM, Video Card. Only by replacing all three are you going to see a big performance increase.

Although, that said you are going to see significant improvements by getting a better video card.

You really should Start a New Thread(tm) in this forum asking about this though (or maybe a mod will split the post off).

Last edited by a moderator:

Symbolikal

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Jul 30, 2004
In britain in a small town.
I don't think they fry if they actually put a cooler on them. I might be needing a cooler/heatsink as I'm building my first comp! I'm using mostly premium parts (ATi radeon x800 video card, P4 560 processor, Abit Fatality AN8 and I haven't got a soundcard yet, though I might use an external one) and I'm not going to let this system melt on me. I'm not screwing it up either.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I'll eventually dig through my "Box-o-Old-Hardware" to see if there's anything I can give away.

I know for sure I've got a couple SB PCI 16's, a few ISA sound cards, a couple 10/100 Mbps PCI Ethernet cards, a few 10 Mbps ISA Ethernet cards, a few PCI 56k modems, some CD/DVD drives of varying quality (don't expect much out of the DVD ones though, they were pulled becuase they suck), and probably some other stuff that I don't remember.

Feb 10, 2005
iami-psychdreams.com said:
I have a Compaq 2.4 GHZ presario 6000 with XP Home.
McAfee 2005, 512 MB pc2700/333mhz RAM, dvd rom/cd rewriter combo drive,
Gforce 4 TI4800 128 MB video Card with Dual monitor ports.
A Floppy drive (that fails but is never used anyway)
40 GB Hard drive, 6 USB ports, 2 firewire ports, one d-link PCI ethernet w/ software cd, on intergrated ethernet onboard, subwoofer w/ 2 desktop speakers, HP Pavillion MX70 17' color monitor W/ built in mic, USB internet KB W/ 2 USB ports,
well used and case was damage during shipping but runs great for beginners. i play UT2k4 editors edition dvd and have superceeded this hardware. i have recently purchased a laptop tyhat is perfect and want to upgrade it's perfection with larger fast HD and MEM, and video card.
what is a dinosaur worth to a beginner anyway.
have alot of software to go with it as well. maybe even the UT2k4 set too.

ok ay i am sorry about that.
i will post next week but i have free 64 MB video card, alos have blank ram cards from Manufactor, i have old vid games on CD's for free u pay shipping (one per house hold or name), i have novell and linux collection, gateway drivers, win 98 CD, brand new keyboard in the box, and probably alot of other dino crap to dig up

Feb 10, 2005
iami-psychdreams.com said:
I have a Compaq 2.4 GHZ presario 6000 with XP Home.
McAfee 2005, 512 MB pc2700/333mhz RAM, dvd rom/cd rewriter combo drive,
Gforce 4 TI4800 128 MB video Card with Dual monitor ports.
A Floppy drive (that fails but is never used anyway)
40 GB Hard drive, 6 USB ports, 2 firewire ports, one d-link PCI ethernet w/ software cd, on intergrated ethernet onboard, subwoofer w/ 2 desktop speakers, HP Pavillion MX70 17' color monitor W/ built in mic, USB internet KB W/ 2 USB ports,
well used and case was damage during shipping but runs great for beginners. i play UT2k4 editors edition dvd and have superceeded this hardware. i have recently purchased a laptop tyhat is perfect and want to upgrade it's perfection with larger fast HD and MEM, and video card.
what is a dinosaur worth to a beginner anyway.
have alot of software to go with it as well. maybe even the UT2k4 set too.

I AM SORRY FOR NOT FOLLOWING THIS WITH AN EDIT.
I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE PASSWORD AND HAVE ASKED FORUM ADMIN FOR HELP BUT I JUST KEEP GETTING AUTO REPLYS THAT HAVE THE SAME ERROR.
SO I HAD TO REREGISTER BUT NOW I CANNOT READ OLD PM'S.
i have alot of old things that are obsolete to me and if someone is willing to pay shipping(including the little boxes w/all that popcorn) then i would be happy to ship them to you.
i hope the people that are receiving are just as honest that they are not out for profit.

the following exist in my collection
i have a 6326 sis agp video card, i have a dell laptop w/ windows 3.1 that has a problem holding a charge but works plugged in, w/the leather caseand the adapter and the 10KEY module, 8 MB expansion memory for Apple powerbook have blank ram cards you have to put memmory chips on.
i have two of some type of plug for video, (i can send a picture). i will give one away if someone will explain how i can use the other, I ALSO HAVE cable assebly mod#tel-tt-6, i have misc. software games, from '94 to 2000. maybe later,
i even have a free Epson Printer inkjet that needs to be dismantaled and cleaned as i was using it in the windy desert for 8 months. it works it is just very noisy. let's start with those and see what develops.
i come accross a lot of discontinued stuff over the years. and probably needs ink cartridges, i think i still have the driver disc for it too.

i can be reached at john@suddenmoves.us
and i am in the psychodreams.com forums everyday

Feb 10, 2005
[UM]theswarm said:
I still need a hard drive, 20GB or more. I doubt anyone has spare working hard drives lying around though, you generally use them until they fry.

i'll have to dig it out but i just changed from a 60GB to a 160 GB.
the hard drive freezes up when you search a certain part of the high end of it. if you want to tinker with it ur welcome to it.
but i may have some in storgae but they are all under ten GB some not even a GiG

have you also considered Administrator

Location: ...standing behind you... If anybody is interested, I have a 13.5 gig Quantum Fireball CX to give away. Nothing wrong with it, just got some new drives.

One road leads to diamonds, another leads to gold. But mankind is never satisfied with the road they chose.

for a temp fix.

Feb 10, 2005
semperfiguy said:
iami-psychdreams
you wouldn't by any chance still have that 128 mb video card would you...I'm new to the post, and the game, and i've noticed that my game takes forever to download the maps....I currently have a GeForce MX 4000 64 MB video card, but correct me if i'm wrong the GeForce 4 TI4800 128 MB Video Card is better? Let me know, and I'll be more than happy to work something out.
P.S. If you can't tell, I'm completely ignorant of these hardware/software issues with gaming, but I'll catch on eventually thanks.
Semper Fi Guy (AKA Renegade)

before making a decision you may want to see this post but a trusted source in our forum community
http://www.psychodreams.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291
i hope i am not violating any forum rules. i am not recruiting i just want to give advice without screwing up everyones bandwidth with a bunch of cut and paste.

[UM]theswarm

Spork of the Apocalypse!
Sep 30, 2001
Everywhere
www.sporkoftheapocalypse.tk
IAMI said:
i'll have to dig it out but i just changed from a 60GB to a 160 GB.
the hard drive freezes up when you search a certain part of the high end of it. if you want to tinker with it ur welcome to it.
but i may have some in storgae but they are all under ten GB some not even a GiG

have you also considered Administrator

Location: ...standing behind you... If anybody is interested, I have a 13.5 gig Quantum Fireball CX to give away. Nothing wrong with it, just got some new drives.

One road leads to diamonds, another leads to gold. But mankind is never satisfied with the road they chose.

for a temp fix.

That post is from 2 years ago, not sure of Prophetus is around anymore. Currently running Linux off an 8GB, the 60GB sounds interesting but I doubt I could fix it (I wonder if it's possible?).

Feb 10, 2005
[UM]theswarm said:
That post is from 2 years ago, not sure of Prophetus is around anymore. Currently running Linux off an 8GB, the 60GB sounds interesting but I doubt I could fix it (I wonder if it's possible?).

i don't know if it is possible but everytime i ran a certain program it locked up started over then said do a scan check.
it never crashed.
i didn't really lose anything i just chose to change it before it did.
it may be possible to partition it of and never use that part of the drive.
just think if you split it into three partitions. you'd have 20 gigs each. figure out which one is bad and lock it out. now you have free 40 + gigs to use.

i needed more than 80 gigs anyways. for all my business needs.

Feb 10, 2005
[UM]theswarm said:
Theoretically I could then partition the bad sector down more and more until the rest of the drive is fine I suppose. How much do you suppose it would cost to ship that to Massachusetts?

give me ur zip code and i will let u know.
email me at john@suddenmoves.us
i only check this most when i have the time.

utw-Mephisto

Guilty
Nov 20, 2004
Gibraltar
NVidia GeForce 5200 / 256 MB been in a PC for about a week or two

$0 + Shipping

HOWEVER : I am living in Gibraltar / Europe ...

MAIL with shipping address for quote .. first come first serve of course ...