UE3 - UT3 Unreal Demolition Recruiting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

weisso

Project Lead - Unreal Demolition
Jan 6, 2003
Bellevue, WA
www.dwgames.net
With the stretch run to the Make Something Unreal Contest Phase 1 starting, I'm looking to start bringing in people to help with longer term development. Phase 1 is acting as a test bed to get the mod off its feet, as well as get the core game completed. For future builds however, I'll be focusing on expanding the gametypes and adding a larger roster of levels into the game. Because of this, and because of some increasing time restrictions on my end, some serious recruiting has begun.

What is Unreal Demolition?
Unreal Demolition is the follow up to the UT2004 mod of the same name. The previous iteration of UD was a contender in the Non-FPS category of the Make Something Unreal Contest, as well as a 4th place winner in the Best Use of Physics category. However, with a longer period of development this time around, I think there could be more success.

Unreal Demolition is at its core all about ramming vehicles into each other at high speeds. Using this core mechanic, the game expands into different areas of gameplay, such as classic demolition derbies, sumo wrestling style battles, vehicle stunts, and more. By effectively using small changes to the core gameplay, the game manages to take on different forms, all packed into fast vehicle action.

Who am I looking for?
Primarily, I'm looking for anyone looking to work on an Unreal Engine mod. When I started working on the first UD, I had never worked on anything Unreal related. Due to my experiences, I'm not at all opposed to bringing in people who are looking to put their foot in the door. On that note, I would also be more than pleased to have experienced modders come in to help out. The main positions I'm looking for are as follows:
  • Programmers: I'm looking for one or two programmers to help out on various tasks. Initially, this will be in helping balance the vehicle maneuvers to promote a quicker style of play. As development continues, focus will shift to expanding the gametype roster beyond the currently implemented classic demolition and sumo.
  • Level Designers: This one is fairly simple. I'm looking for any levels for any gametypes. LDs will be able to develop whatever floats their boat at this point, allowing for an expanded level roster.
  • Artists: Initially, I'm looking for an artist or two to develop a small roster of pickups. After this, artists will be given free reign to develop new vehicles for future versions of UD.

Who am I?
I don't particularly expect that people would join the mod without knowing what they're getting themselves into, so I'll say a little about myself.

I am currently a junior at DigiPen Institute of Technology in Redmond, WA. Currently at DigiPen I am producing two projects with the goal of making the IGF in 2010. I am also currently working on music and sound effects for a 3rd DigiPen project, Glitch. On the previous Unreal Demolition, I was a co-designer and level designer through initial development, then took on the role of Producer for the second phase of development.

What will I be doing for the project?
Currently, I've been responsible for the entirety of the project thus far. However, I'm looking to take on a more strict Producer role. For this, I will be dealing with administrative tasks, such as maintaining the development schedule, assigning and following up on assigned tasks, assigning and following up on assigned bugs, maintaining up to date documentation, packaging and releasing versions of the mod, maintaining the mod website, and releasing news to community sites. However, as needed, I will also be continuing my work in programming and level design.

In terms of the tools available for the team to use, I have setup a ModCenter page for Unreal Demolition containing a bug tracker, task tracker, documentation storage, file storage, an SVN repository, private discussion boards, and a publically viewable Wiki.

Contact Information
If you are interested in joining the Unreal Demolition project, please feel free to get in contact with me. My main email for the mod is unrealdemolition@gmail.com. I am also generally available here through private message. For IRC, you can get in contact with me on #unrealdemolition on irc.quakenet.org. Finally, the easiest way is to visit our ModCenter page, and click "Join This Project". ModCenter uses logins from IGN, Gamespy, or FilePlanet to grant access to the team areas.

Dan Weiss