Nexuiz: THQ's attempt to "reinvent Arena FPS gameplay""

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Nexuiz: THQ's attempt to "reinvent Arena FPS gameplay"

Of course they say they already did, but so far I'm doubtful. It's just 10$, has nice graphics (uses CryEngine3), although a bit too dark for my liking.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/96800/
  • Arena FPS is back – inspired by the giants of the Arena FPS genre, Nexuiz reinvents twitch gaming for next generation consoles and PC
  • Over 100 ‘Dynamic Mutators’ serve as game-changing power-ups – Jetpacks, Uber-Nuke, Low Gravity, Big Head Mode and many more...
  • 9 deadly arenas – powered by CryENGINE 3, Nexuiz sets a new graphical benchmark for a digital-only release
  • Designed for competitive play - a superbly balanced weapon set, classic game modes, and extensive stat tracking, Medals and Leaderboard support
  • Play solo or online – hone your skills against bots, then wage war online against the best in 4v4 multiplayer matches

But:
  • Just 9 levels. "Variety is the spice of life" and IMO is a key for a good MP shooter, even if it results in a higher price
  • Made by a new studio with no games to it's name
  • Port from XBLA

What's your thoughts?

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Looks interesting - I just might pick this up for the hell of it.
I've been playing a ton of Quake Live recently, so I've got the right mindset to dive right into this.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
This is Nexuiz in name only. The drama around this created Xonotic, but I haven't tried it yet.

We're still playing the original ("Classic") Nexuiz (http://www.alientrap.org/games/nexuiz) at work. It's got plenty of stock levels, fun single player tree (It follows the UT/Q3A progression model) and is incredibly polished across multiple platforms. About 5 minutes on Google produced around 2.5GB of extra maps. It's going to be a while before we finish going through that amount of content.

For the price of a free, legal (how boring!) download, I'd firmly recommend that people try out Classic Nexuiz and Xonotic.

(And feel free to enjoy the new Nexuiz as well, none of what I've written above should be thought of as suggesting that the new Nexuiz is somehow deficient.)

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Old Nexuiz and now Xonotic are staples at the LAN parties my friends and I have together. This new thing looks like crap.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Call it a passing interest. All of the buts above are serious problems I have with the game at this point.

Tre`

Apr 10, 2008
I've been following this game for awhile because it's been 5 years since another arena FPS was released. There's a sub-forum on their website for Level-Editing so it seems that they do at least want to allow that at some point.

Last edited:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Personally I'm interested to see on how it does. I thought the market for new comp twitch fps games had died off as evidenced by dozens of titles in the past several years. Pricepoint may be a winning factor. While not as "arena", MNC seems to have done well and it doesn't demand a premium.

Last edited: