Here's how I got XMP games going every week

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Hi, long time no see. :)

I still see people asking "anyone still playing?" and "let's play tonight!" on this forum, and the facebook group.

For those who weren't there (where were you?), during summer 2008, we actually had XMP games EVERY wednesday night (8 pm PST). For proof, see XMP videos on my youtube channel (you'd have dig past my recent vids):
http://www.youtube.com/user/takwu0

How did that happen? How can you make it happen again? Well here are the simple steps:

1: Make it regular
Preferrably weekly. Monthly might sound nice, but people forget or cannot make it. Setting it weekly allows people to come back every week. If they miss a week, they can still come back the next week. Most people have work/school/life scheduled by the week, so it makes things simpler.

Another thing is the time. Don't change it. People came at 8 pm last week, they expect to come again at 8 pm this week. If you change it, they see empty server, they don't come back, ever.

And don't forget to let everyone know about this schedule too. Post a new thread here, facebook it, email/phone/visit every XMP player you can.

2: Be there
I mean it. Be there, no matter what. If you miss it, don't expect anyone else to be there. And expect next week to be worse. Even if you made it, but LATE, you still lost a few players, which sometimes means ALL players.

What if the server is empty? JOIN ANYWAY. You are not there until you are in the server. No one sees you on MSN/Steam/whatever chat program. You have to be in the server, even if it means you're alone for a while... which leads to the last step:

3: Stay there
Ok, so I joined at 8 pm, no one joins, and it's 9 pm already, do I quit? NO. Be prepared to be there for AT LEAST 3 HOURS. I found it helpful to have something else to do while I waited, like play on my DS or do Econ homework, while I was in the server alone.

On some wednesdays, I would be there for 3 hours and no real XMP games. Maybe 1 or 2 players would come and we deathmatch for a bit. So it was boring. But it pays off. THAT'S HOW the 10-player games happen the next week, or even at the last hour of the night.

If you follow the 3 simple steps above, you will have some epic XMP games going on within a few weeks. If it didn't happen, you DID NOT do the 3 steps. You can quote me on that.

I stopped doing that since my first final exam times (around Dec 2008) and no one else stepped up to do it (at least not as religiously), so it was over. I graduated now but still looking for a full time job. Once I do I will try this again (and maybe even consider that bot project again...). Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in some XXXMP actions, you know how to set it up now.

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
We still play every sunday evening. Usually around 12 but sometimes more, the steps you mention do work, but I don't recall seeing you there in all fairness unless you play under alias.

This was a few weeks back, we had 18 people at one point. I've been away the last few weeks but last night there was a full server as well.

C1 appears to have finally died, but I intend to keep my servers and the master servers running for as long as I can realistically afford to.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
Ok, so I joined at 8 pm, no one joins, and it's 9 pm already, do I quit? NO. Be prepared to be there for AT LEAST 3 HOURS. I found it helpful to have something else to do while I waited, like play on my DS or do Econ homework, while I was in the server alone.

On some wednesdays, I would be there for 3 hours and no real XMP games. Maybe 1 or 2 players would come and we deathmatch for a bit. So it was boring. But it pays off. THAT'S HOW the 10-player games happen the next week, or even at the last hour of the night.

No one with anything else going on in their life will wait 3 hours.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
EQ2, that's great for you guys. As I explained, I have not been playing since winter 2008, so I don't know why you are surprised I wasn't there last week.

However, now that I found out your schedule (remember the last bit of step 1 - let people know the schedule), I might just show up one day. You never know ;)

Firefly, I had college full time, and I was there 3 hours every wednesday. It's not always waiting. When it worked, it was more like 2 out of 3 hours of playtime. The "waiting" as I explained was leaving your PC on XMP and doing other stuff. Not stare at it and twiddle your thumbs. Do your dishes for all I care :D Just come back when people join.

Anyway, this post is more of an answer to those who keep asking for a game "tonight" or those who complain they can't get a game setup. The point is you can't get a game going by simply posting a message. It takes a lot more than that.

[DS] Calico

Behind Jackal with a raging hardon.
Apr 28, 2004
I just remembered my login info for this forum. I've been on it every now and then but noones ever playing!

[DS] Calico

Behind Jackal with a raging hardon.
Apr 28, 2004
I didnt read it when I posted it. I was just excited i remembered my account info. Well choose a time my friend

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Well currently I don't have a computer setup to play XMP. I don't think my old laptop can do it, especially if I want to run it for 3 hrs (it gets very hot). But hopefully I can get my old desktop up and running soon, then I'll probably try the Wed night thing again.

Meanwhile why don't you try to join EQ2 on Sunday afternoons? That screenshot looks interesting. I wonder how it works out. Would be nice if people post about it (here or anywhere) after each game night.

I guess I should add a "step 4", which I don't think is required, but might have helped the whole thing succeed as much as it did.

4: Celebrate publicly (optional)
So you had a great night of XMP, but only you and those who were there knew about it. You want anyone who missed it know about it too, so they will join next time.

Post a thread in the forums and/or facebook after a night of GGs. I used to do that, with screenshots (like the one EQ2 posted above). Later I even youtubed it (see top post). It creates interests, and invites more people to come.

As I said this step might not be absolutely necessary, and anyone who played can do it. But at this stage, every little bit helps ;)

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Hi, long time no see. :)

I still see people asking "anyone still playing?" and "let's play tonight!" on this forum, and the facebook group.

For those who weren't there (where were you?), during summer 2008, we actually had XMP games EVERY wednesday night (8 pm PST). For proof, see XMP videos on my youtube channel (you'd have dig past my recent vids):
http://www.youtube.com/user/takwu0

How did that happen? How can you make it happen again? Well here are the simple steps:

1: Make it regular
Preferrably weekly. Monthly might sound nice, but people forget or cannot make it. Setting it weekly allows people to come back every week. If they miss a week, they can still come back the next week. Most people have work/school/life scheduled by the week, so it makes things simpler.

Another thing is the time. Don't change it. People came at 8 pm last week, they expect to come again at 8 pm this week. If you change it, they see empty server, they don't come back, ever.

And don't forget to let everyone know about this schedule too. Post a new thread here, facebook it, email/phone/visit every XMP player you can.

2: Be there
I mean it. Be there, no matter what. If you miss it, don't expect anyone else to be there. And expect next week to be worse. Even if you made it, but LATE, you still lost a few players, which sometimes means ALL players.

What if the server is empty? JOIN ANYWAY. You are not there until you are in the server. No one sees you on MSN/Steam/whatever chat program. You have to be in the server, even if it means you're alone for a while... which leads to the last step:

If you follow the 3 simple steps above, you will have some epic XMP games going on within a few weeks. If it didn't happen, you DID NOT do the 3 steps. You can quote me on that.

I stopped doing that since my first final exam times (around Dec 2008) and no one else stepped up to do it (at least not as religiously), so it was over. I graduated now but still looking for a full time job. Once I do I will try this again (and maybe even consider that bot project again...). Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in some XXXMP actions, you know how to set it up now.
An interesting post OP. You can relate this to a lot of online games.