Which do you think is better: UT3 or UT2k4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which is better: UT3 or UT2004

• UT3 is better

Votes: 63 52.1%
  • UT2004 is better

Votes: 58 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
You really think so? Sure, the UT2004 Skaarj had their flaws, but the likes of Skakruk, Kraagesh, Gaargod, and even Dominator and Guardian reminded me of the proper Skaarj in Unreal.

If anything they're more like the ones in Unreal 2: gorillas, but smaller and definitely uglier in UT2004 (WTF is up with that reddish Skaarj?). The only exceptions are the metal Skaarj.

Then, I could really care less about UT2k4's stuff.

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
I like UT3 but to be honest I enjoyed playing UT2004 much more. There's simply more fun stuff to play with in UT2K4.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's a shame - I think it's a superb game, and much more worthy of the 'Unreal' title than UT3.
And UT2003 as well? Bluh. Unreal would have been better off without either of those games, and UT2003 is the better. :p

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
And UT2003 as well? Bluh. Unreal would have been better off without either of those games, and UT2003 is the better. :p
Exactly. UT2003/4 was a shock for me, it lost so much awesomeness UT1 had, all the style was gone, instead we got stuff like... Mr Crow. :shake:

UT3 is like a new franchise anyway.

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
2k4 for me

Prettier-UT3,not by far.Mega-detail doesn't impress.It just distracts.

Editor-slightly UT3 (both are good really)

Funner-2k4

Harder to master-2k4

Better Movement-2k4

Content-2k4,even though UT3 has a good package for its current bargain bin price.I would have given all of the extras up for a more polished product and a little advertising though.

Complete UI-2k4

Game Security-at least 2k4 has a lil something

Scale-UT3 but that was another reason wall dodges and dodge jumping nerfed.

More polished product-2k4

Stability-2k4

Epics attitude towards in customers-2k4 days were more mature days.

So I pretty much say this game and Epic have taken steps backwards since the 2k4 days.

Although I did laugh at Epic when 2k3 was released and a year or so later 2k4 hooked me.(wasn't Onslaught either) UT3 may do the same.If it does it will not be so much to the credit of Epic.All they are doing is what should have been done before it went in the box imo.It will be the commmunity who took 2k4 and turned into something I and many found to be big improvements across the board.

Even if people were playing this game in the masses I would still want 10 mutators going to improve the game imho because straight out of the box up to 1.3 patch it still just doesn't appeal to me and is not challenging enough.Any game seems boring now with the same movements we've been stuck with over the last 20 years.It's only a matter of time before they add prone as well. :lol:

To all 84 of you playing it-I am glad someone is having fun with it.At least it wasn't a total waste of money and resources.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
UT2k4 is such a well made and known game, but UT3 looks so nice. Really tough, they are kind of equal in value. Once UT3 is fully developed we will leave UT2k4 and move on. Keeping it as a classic.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
ITT: The vast majority that thinks UT2004 is better is no longer interested in Unreal and do not browse these forums anymore.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
The way the Editor works now is really great. Why not have the editor in game so you don't have to load the game, engine and contents again and again? There you go, already done.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No, UT2004 is a refined version of UT2003, in which some of the mistakes that made UT2003 less Unrealish were rectified. Despite that, UT2003 was still a great game on release, and of a much higher quality than UT3.
And most of the heart and soul of the game was removed. :p Despite that, NEITHER GAME WAS GOOD. You might have found them fun and enjoyed playing them, but there are much better games out there and I doubt many people would have paid any attention to either of those games if they weren't Unreal titled. That's half the point.

The other half is that they simply don't fit into the Unreal "story". They fit so poorly that they have had to retcon ALL of UT2003s story and a bunch of crap in UT1 as well.
And what of UC2? While being an excellent game, it is only loosely based on the Unreal series, but I don't hear you saying that the Unreal series would be better without it.
That's because it has excellent gameplay, is not the "tournament" series, and the design was perfect. UC2 would not have worked as a PC game, thus no PC release.
Sure, Mr Crow was bad enough, but tainting the game with characters from another series (Raiden)? That's about as far from the roots of Unreal as you can get - much further than UT2004.
I think that's lame too, but it doesn't affect the series at all one way or the other to have him in there. Raiden can cross dimensions, so it's entirely feasible for him to go to that dimension (I hate defending that).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
But after UT, there simply was no real attempt to uphold any shread of consistency at all. If you are going to exclude titles from the series because of conflicting/inconsistent/nonexistent plot, then you will have very few to choose from indeed! :) I don't think you can expect many game series to keep their storylines 100% pure and indisputable.
I don't expect it to. I'm simply pointing out that the origins of UT200X are not "Unreal". The story present in UT3 complements UT and UC2 very well.
Are you telling me that the Unreal series (the title of 'Unreal') should be restricted to only Unreal and Unreal Tournament? - Because that's about it in terms of plot quality.
What are you talking about? I clearly think that Unreal, UT, UC2 and UT3 are all perfectly fine Unreal series games. None of those games broke from the "traditional" UT story.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
What are you talking about? I clearly think that Unreal, UT, UC2 and UT3 are all perfectly fine Unreal series games.
None of those games broke from the "traditional" UT story.

Are you ****ing serious? :lol: Plz Explain to me how ut3 held a "traditional" UT story together.
On that note, how the hell could unreal stick to a traditional unreal tournament story if unreal tournament was made after unreal?
And UT? It didn't stick to the traditional UT story; it defined it.
UC2..... I'll give you that one. It was more tournamentish then ut3 in any event. It is actually very consistant with the other games in the unreal series now that i think about it. It was just a bit unbelievable because it is SUCH a big spinoff. Half the cast are space egyptions. 3/4 of the maps are egyption themed. The characters can effectively fly. The weapons include swords (Damn cool i admit, but still... WTF :lol:).
All that really reduced the believability for me. But aside from that it was definately very faithful to the traditional UT story.

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
Liandri Mining Facility: ***
I voted 2k4. UT3 has lovely weapons, and effects. However 2k4 to me is a much more of a solid game.
Cutting people in half using the scorpion being one of many quirks.

The overall feel of 2k4 was a much more mature game, while UT3 felt like they tried to hard to please both crowds.
By giving UT3 a darker atmosphere, and story
(Wtf did it have to do with anything.....)
Then they went really light on the gore, and taunting to please the over protective kiddie parents.

2k4 for me just seemed to have much more of a punch when firing.
While with UT3 I feel like I'm just shooting a water pistol.

I still play UT3 more than 2k4 or UT99 even though UT99 is my favorite game play wise. On another off topic note, people who say graphics don't matter. Yet still play UT3 instead of 99 need to get their heads checked.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
The overall feel of 2k4 was a much more mature game, while UT3 felt like they tried to hard to please both crowds.
By giving UT3 a darker atmosphere, and story
(Wtf did it have to do with anything.....)
Then they went really light on the gore, and taunting to please the over protective kiddie parents.

2k4 for me just seemed to have much more of a punch when firing.
While with UT3 I feel like I'm just shooting a water pistol.
Uhh... what the hell are you smoking?

1. UT2004 was a more mature game... because it was built on the back of UT2003. Probably something like 95% of the content is identical, the differences being the new maps, character models/skins, Onslaught/VCTF/AS, the HUD, and a couple new weapon models.
  2. The original UT was pretty grim and gritty, too. That was one of the positives of the game, compared to 2kx's occasionally "sanitized" look, with all that chrome.
  3. LIGHT on the gore? In 2kx, you could only gib someone when they died, not after the fact, and it was mostly a few tiny hunklets coming out. Even your best gib would leave a body - from abdomen to thighs, roughly. If the mafia defined "disappearence" as 2k4 defines it, the police would still have a body to work on. On the other hand, in UT3, not only is there plenty of blood, but gibs are beefy, you can gib corpses, and you even got the Impact Hammer progressively staining with blood, while delivering a nice splatter with each kill. And unlike 2k4, you can actually completely obliterate someone into chunky chowder.
  4. Lacking in punch? If anything, UT3's weapons have the most oomph since 99's weapons. The shock rifle in 2kx, besides being overpowered, sounded like a weak little laser gun. Did you ever really listen? "Pew, pew, pew"... it's underwhelming. Now listen to the UT3 one - considerably beefier, considerably better, considerably more powerful sounding.
I really don't understand how you think UT3 is worse than 2k4 in these aspects, though point 1 is grudgingly noted - but with the addition of what I said, if 2k4 weren't a "mature" game, it'd be surprising. This is why I have high confidence that if Epic does do a "addon" pack to UT3 similar to what 2k4 did for 2k3, that it will likely feel a lot more "mature" as well and be accepted.

Last edited: