Solaris Base by Matthias Worch

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Anyone tried Solaris Base for Unreal2?

It's an "unfinished" level by Matthias Worch (one of the people that made Unreal2, and the models that were later used in Sirocco).

The level is very short, but it sure is an Unreal2 level. Just another bit of "what Unreal2 could be".

Attached quite a few screenshots. and here's the homepage:
http://www.worch.com/?p=156

Attachments

• Shot00040.JPG
    Shot00040.JPG
    455.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Shot00043.JPG
    Shot00043.JPG
    536.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Shot00044.JPG
    Shot00044.JPG
    473.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Shot00045.JPG
    Shot00045.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Shot00047.JPG
    Shot00047.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 49

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I played the level long ago, this one was created for some tutorial, not really what should be in game, the level is short, but kinda interesting and has some secret areas, too bad you start out of nowhere and end out of nowehere, I mean there is no sequel to this map, it just ends and also no prequel.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Well... all the Araknids in the labs, and having to download data from a computer with a picture of Severnaya... Kinda pinpoints where the level fits in the plot.

But yeah, it would be more consistent with all the Unreal2 levels if there's an outside part where you land the shuttle, and then infiltrate into this building.

BTW, one thing I'm not so sure is the landscapes you can see outside the windows. It seems the building is high above ground, or at least on a mountain. Yet inside, the lower levels have a sewer that leads to a pool of toxic liquid. Also you start in an elevator where you can see the shaft above, like sanctuary. So I thought I was in a basement, until I looked out the windows :rolleyes:

Langsuyar

Sep 4, 2003
www.worch.com
That map was made without any rhyme or reason, I just pulled a whole bunch of assets from the game together that I liked. That's where the terrain in one window and the sewers in the next come from ;)

If I'd finished it you would have landed on the roof, entered the base to find out that experiments on the Araknids had gone wrong - some had escaped, spread out, nested in the dark corners and finally overrun the base. So you helped the scientists while fighting Izanagi mercs that were trying to cover up the whole incident. Pretty standard stuff, but it was just done for fun :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Wow, Worch himself posted in this thread..............
I didn't know you are registered here, if I look to your old posts, it shows none except this, perhaps they were in private section of the forum?

Langsuyar

Sep 4, 2003
www.worch.com
I saw the incoming link to the level download in blog stats. And yeah, I did indeed have a very old login, took four tries to remember the correct password ;)

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Wow I was going to leave a comment on your site, but I guess you found me first :)

Anyway nice to hear from you Langsuyar. I'm sure it'd be awesome if you made a map for XMP :)

Langsuyar

Sep 4, 2003
www.worch.com
Oh, feel free to leave a comment on the page anyway. It's nice to have the feedback archived in my own database :)

Now, can somebody tell me how to reply to a private message. I can't seem to figure it out...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Hmm, interesting stuff. A map for Unreal II!
Read my Cut Content of Unreal 2 article on Liandri Archives?
Sure is Hell all right, the window tells it. But when did John Dalton get up there if he entered a turbolift down? Possible when walking with the artifact or something, U2 never shows the way back.
Maintenance Area? Sounds like that guy in Hell that reported he was from a Maitenance area, but where do Izanagi mercs come from? And I don't particularly like Araknids... Still could download it.
Hey Worch! Never thought you could still be around. Nice to see someone from the creators of U2. Scott Dalton used to post here too I think.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
That's not Hell, it's more Janus style than hell (well bit of both), I played the map, this is completelly unrelated map to any singleplayer maps, it was created for pc gamer tutorial originally.

Langsuyar

Sep 4, 2003
www.worch.com
Remember that this isn't a cut level from Unreal 2. This is something that I made after Unreal 2 had shipped. It started out as a demo level for a UnrealEd magazine tutorial, and I added whatever I felt like afterwards. With focus on variety and good gameplay elements, not the integrity of the universe.

I'm still around, but I have to admit that I don't read forums regularly - I usually find these threads when a bunch of incoming visitors from somewhere show up in my blog stats ;)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
oh wow Matthias Worch

Interestingly he's now the environment lead designer for the Dead Space series.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Oh wow, I didn't know that.

lowenz, I got it working here without problems, so the problem is on your end. The crash message would be helpful, too.

lowenz

Unreal Veteran
Sure! Here's the message:

General protection fault!

History: FNotifyInfo::SetFunction <- PlayerEvent::OnEvent <- UComponent::IsEnabled <- (UImageComponent::ImageComponent753) <- UContainer::IsEnabledI <- UComponent::IsEnabled <- (UFixedSizeContainer::MainMenuItemHolder_S0) <- UTileContainer::GetBoundsI <- (UTileContainer::MainMenuItemHolders0) <- UComponent::GetBounds <- (UTileContainer::MainMenuItemHolders0) <- UContainer::GetSizeI <- UComponent::GetSize <- (UTileContainer::MainMenuItemHolders0) <- UComponent::GetAlignedLocationI <- (UTileContainer::MainMenuItemHolders0) <- UComponent::GetAlignedLocation <- (UTileContainer::MainMenuItemHolders0) <- UComponent::GetScreenCoordsI <- (UTileContainer::MainMenuItemHolders0) <- UComponent::GetScreenCoords <- (UTileContainer::MainMenuItemHolders0) <- UComponent::GetScreenCoordsI <- (UFixedSizeContainer::MainMenuItemHolder0) <- UComponent::GetScreenCoords <- (UFixedSizeContainer::MainMenuItemHolder0) <- UComponent::GetScreenCoordsI <- (UImageComponent::ImageComponent747) <- UComponent::GetScreenCoords <- (UImageComponent::ImageComponent747) <- UComponent::GetScreenBoundsI <- (UImageComponent::ImageComponent747) <- UComponent::GetScreenBounds <- (UImageComponent::ImageComponent747) <- UComponent::ContainsAbsI <- (UImageComponent::ImageComponent747) <- UComponent::ContainsAbs <- (UImageComponent::ImageComponent747) <- UMouseCursor::FindRelevantListeners <- UMouseCursor::Tick <- UUIConsole::Tick <- UConsole::preRender <- UGameEngine::UpdateProgress <- AActor::Serialize <- LoadObject <- (LevelInfo solarisbase.LevelInfo0 103276==103276/8984008 102022 1258) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Engine.Level None.MyLevel solarisbase) <- LoadLevel <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Build: Mar 14 2003 13:26:15

I use Jason's U2 Mod Menu: http://www.jasonyu.net/ut/

Is that a possible problem source?

Last edited: