Are there still people playing?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Weak storyline? How come? I don't see how it's weak in any way, except that it doesn't connect to U1 (which it doesn't have to, anyway). Especially the ending is touching.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Care to give an example of what could be improved? The voice acting was good, I don't see anything bad with it (unlike in some of the DS games I've seen lately...). And how is the story bland? You're roaming the galaxy in search of artifacts and doing other peacekeeping missions. Of course, there is no arch-nemesis like Saren is in Mass Effect, but there are plenty of twists and character development is very nice.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
The maps weren't that well designed in Unreal 2, maybe it looks fine, but there was more potential and it felt that it was linearized and some maps felt unfinished or rushed even. Grayson Edge did one of the worst maps in entire game and look how good his custom stuff used to be compared to that, Hexephet and Star 861 for Unreal for example.

The voice acting was done by professionals though, the guy who voiced central character was done by an actor who appeared briefly in star trek next generation and star trek generations movie, although it was a very small role. The guy is black himself (he often voices black characters too), he has done various video game voice acting, Michael Mack is his name.

It sounds rather dumb at times but I think the voice acting is solid overall. It is certainly better than RtNP voice acting or the Unreal PSX voice acting I came upon lately (by accident and I only got only one character's voice and I won't use it for the remake anyway, also because I dunno who voiced it).

Anyway....I think the betas or RCs of Unreal 2 should really be found, what's up with it? Nobody wants to talk about it obviously though...

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Delacroix is searching for them, no luck yet.

Well, as far as I know there are certain people who can be contacted and some of which indentity is unknown to me who may hold a key to all this. And you know who has all these contacts...it would be perhaps time to do something about it or contact those people, or I could help, I was sucessful in recovering the Unreal PSX stuff.
As far as I know Delacroix can't do anything about it unless he has contacts to those people or was given to him....
But then again I don't know much about that.

~Psycho~

Nov 10, 1999
I never played the XMP. How does it compare to UT2004? (Has vehicles does it?)

Unreal 2 SP is good though. Just a bit slower than the other Unreals.

The only real annoyance is the briefing/ship parts. It's fine the first time you play, but gets dull when you replay the game...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yes, it does have vehicles. XMP in the current state is a combination of Vehicle CTF and Domination from UT1, with a few more rules like energy level, player classes, deployables and such.

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
I never played the XMP. How does it compare to UT2004? (Has vehicles does it?)
To add to what GreatEmerald mentioned, I'd also point out that the combat varies from UT games by the nature of having classes. There are 3 classes each with specific strengths and weaknesses against the other 2, and this makes for very engaging and tactical combat playing off the respective classes' abilities against one another. Teamplay is also strongly encouraged because each class can repair or resupply a specific resource, and certain tasks can be achieved more quickly when working together with a team mate.

Unreal 2 SP is good though. Just a bit slower than the other Unreals.

The only real annoyance is the briefing/ship parts. It's fine the first time you play, but gets dull when you replay the game...
Totally agree, I actually bind a key to SLOMO 10 | ONRELEASE SLOMO 1 to give you a "fast-forward" key for these sections. :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
No, no slomo is needed. There is a command called setspeed, just do setspeed 1.5 and you will have normal walking speed, also there is setting in ini which sets this(warning it gets activated only after you get to next mission, if you load older save).

It is even mentioned in the release patch notes.

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
No, no slomo is needed. There is a command called setspeed, just do setspeed 1.5 and you will have normal walking speed, also there is setting in ini which sets this(warning it gets activated only after you get to next mission, if you load older save).

It is even mentioned in the release patch notes.

Leo, EQ2 is talking about a way to skip videos :)

^this :)

The walk speed doesn't bother me actually, but when you die during a mission in which there are cutscenes you can fast-forward the cutscene using slomo. The one I always forget to save on (and always die on) is when you first meet the Tosc... sitting through Sector Commander Hawkins' lengthy exposition multiple times gets kind of dull ;)