Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
Thanks Hazel. :)

Mike, you also get to photograph attractive college girls, I'm guessing. :)

Here's one more from just this morning:
Speaker-5.jpg

This is my current job I'm at. Located in Kosse, TX. The building to left is what I'm working on at the moment. That was taken this morning. The building is a coal storage place. The measurements are 525' long X 250' wide X 137' tall. It's massive for sure. The two cranes are 210' to the top (IIRC)

Picture402.jpg

Zarniwoop

is cool
Jan 20, 2008
Ceredigion, UK
Taken from the roof of an elevator shaft at an abandoned mental hospital.
2620184385_bc2665c66e.jpg

And here's the elevator itself.
2620182471_f69767362f.jpg

The rest of the photo's are on my Flickr, though there's some I have yet to upload.

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
]The "offical" photography thread, eh?

Right, I'll bite.
Putting a collection together right now, here are a few favourites from last year. All shots with a Nikon D80. No significant manipulation other than slight adjustment to the contrast curve, white balance and sharpening. I spend a lot of time waiting for the light and conditions to be right, and I DON'T use coloured filters or HDR techniques.

2 minute exposure (using a 9 stop neutral density filter...kind of like the glass you use to protect your eyes when welding)
carrasqueirass1.jpg

Another 2 minute exposure taken at sunrise. This was tricky because waves were lapping around the tripod, so keeping it still throughout the exposure was an issue
praiadocamilolagosda9.jpg

Telephoto shot from a hilltop in southern Portugal in the last light of the day
sunsetfrommarmeletemoncgo9.jpg

Last light of day shot again, taken in woods near my apartment.
carcaveloswoodob7.jpg

If anyone's interested, I've written tutorials on some of the technique in these images for ND Magazine which can be found here
Also there's more at my Deviant Art page with a tutorial on each image, and my website (slow loading, I need to get the server sorted).

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
This is my current job I'm at. Located in Kosse, TX. The building to left is what I'm working on at the moment. That was taken this morning. The building is a coal storage place. The measurements are 525' long X 250' wide X 137' tall. It's massive for sure. The two cranes are 210' to the top (IIRC)

Picture402.jpg

That shot is wonderful, like a big ass nuclear explosion splitting apart the sky. Awesome :D

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
]The "offical" photography thread, eh?

Right, I'll bite.
Putting a collection together right now, here are a few favourites from last year. All shots with a Nikon D80. No significant manipulation other than slight adjustment to the contrast curve, white balance and sharpening. I spend a lot of time waiting for the light and conditions to be right, and I DON'T use coloured filters or HDR techniques.

2 minute exposure (using a 9 stop neutral density filter...kind of like the glass you use to protect your eyes when welding)
carrasqueirass1.jpg

This is great! I have been thinking about taking these kind of photos, but haven't gotten around to it. Do you have a Flickr page? Makes it easy to keep up with each other's Photos. Some of the people here have them.:)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I'm not a fan of what long exposure times do to water. Makes it look really weird, IMO.

Any way to get pictures that look the same but with normal water?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I really doubt it, everything get blurred out in the process.
Awesome pics guys, I really like the high contrast pictures without the same dull colors all over again.

Like that one pic in post #93

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
This is great! I have been thinking about taking these kind of photos, but haven't gotten around to it. Do you have a Flickr page? Makes it easy to keep up with each other's Photos. Some of the people here have them.:)

Thanks a lot :)
You should have a try, all you need is a tripod and a cable release. The ND filter made these possible as they were taken when the sun was in the sky, but after sunset, or before sunrise you can get relatively long exposures without one. You do need ND graduated filters for the sky though, or it will be too bright.

As for Flickr, I should really...but the Deviant Art page takes up so much time, and unlike Flickr, DA brings me income because I sell quite a few prints through the page, and it's also brought me attention which has got my work bought for things like CD covers and concert flyers etc, as well as the offer to write for the magazine. I can't really let the DA page slip because it's beneficial to my photography.....but a flickr page would be useful I guess....if I can find the time.

I'm not a fan of what long exposure times do to water. Makes it look really weird, IMO.

Any way to get pictures that look the same but with normal water?

Sure.
Both of the long exposures here used a very thick neutral density filter called a Hoya ND400, which cuts out around 90% of the light and forces a long exposure.
Without the filter, both would have been "normal" length exposures (around half a second) and the water would have looked normal.
I actually always take a "straight" shot first, to ensure the shot is evenly exposed across the frame (no clipped highlights or lost shadow detail), and to compose the shot, because when the filter is screwed in, you can't see through the camera's viewfinder.

It's personal preference, and long exposures sometimes do look inappropriate. I like to use them on water that doesn't have much movement because I always try to create "clean" images, where the eye isn't pulled all over the frame by different details in the water. In the second image for example, the long exposure has made is possible to see the shapes of the rocks under the water, which looks like glass. The water also now feels like an extension of the sky.
A regular exposure would have made the sky and water completely different and taken away from the calm feeling of the scene, and the rocks would have been impossible to see because of the "visual noise" of the waves, and that also would detract from the focus point of the scene, which is the warm morning light on the cliff face.
Well, that's the rationale behind it, but ultimately any photograph is only as good as the emotion is creates in the people who see it...and if it's not your thing, then it's just not your thing.

I don't always use long exposures, infact if time and light permit I'll try to do both and then choose which one I prefer.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Israphel, those shots are marvellous!

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
]

carrasqueirass1.jpg

I thought this photo looked familiar. I actually have you on watch for DA, and had no idea you were on BUF. =D

Here's one of my fiance. Taken with my 50mm. 1.8

gina3sizedcj5.jpg

One of my kittens. Also, 50mm 1.8
mg7456800sg9.jpg

mg7461800pr2.jpg

I want to upgrade my glass list with adding a Canon 28mm 1.8

Would work wonders on my 350D, with the 1.6 crop sensor.

-Kyle

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
This one is great. Usually when I try to get photos of food it ends up looking a bit unappetizing.

To be honest it's not to do with how you photograph it, but moreover with how it's prepared- the 'neatness' factor, if you wish.

For the burger photograph, I took some snaps just when it was served. The result was that the individual ingredients were caught still fresh and distinct... the moisture from the meat hasn't bled onto other elements yet, the cheese barely melted, no unnecessary marks, etc.

I decided to leave in the scattered seeds to prevent the burger from looking clinical and more appetizing, although I did get rid of some to prevent the plate resembling the floor of a chicken coop.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Super Awesome Rachel Adventure VIII: Crack-In-The-Ground, Fort Rock, Hole-In-The-Ground

Since all three of these were on the same stretch of highway leading into Christmas Valley, I had to go to all of them today.

My first stop was Crack-In-The-Ground, and it's exactly what its name implies.
Crack-in-the-Ground is a large, deep fissure approximately 2 miles long and 70 feet deep. It is uncommon for such rifts to remain open, which makes Crack-in-the-Ground an unusual landmark. It is estimated that it has remained open for a thousand years.
I couldn't explore all two miles of it, some parts I'd need to get into much better shape to be able to climb. That and I was completely friggin alone, so I didn't want to risk injuring myself out in the middle of nowhere.

[screenshot]http://www.angelmapper.com/img/rachel/oregon/CrackInTheGround1.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://www.angelmapper.com/img/rachel/oregon/CrackInTheGround2.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://www.angelmapper.com/img/rachel/oregon/CrackInTheGround3.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://www.angelmapper.com/img/rachel/oregon/CrackInTheGround4.jpg[/screenshot]

My next stop was Fort Rock. Formed tens of thousands of years ago when the entire area was a huge inland lake 180 feet deep. Lava broke through the surface and went BOOSH! The remaining ring was slowly eroded away by waves from the lake, leaving the crescent it is now. Either that or this is where they dumped the chunk of earth they pulled out for the temple in Last Crusade. :confused:

[screenshot]http://www.angelmapper.com/img/rachel/oregon/FortRock1.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://www.angelmapper.com/img/rachel/oregon/FortRock2.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://www.angelmapper.com/img/rachel/oregon/FortRock3.jpg[/screenshot]

Last was Hole-In-The-Ground. Formed when some more lava broke through to the ancient lake and was like, KA-KOW!
Blocks as large as 8 meters in size were flung as far as 3.7 km from the crater.

[screenshot]http://www.angelmapper.com/img/rachel/oregon/HoleInTheGround1.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://www.angelmapper.com/img/rachel/oregon/HoleInTheGround2.jpg[/screenshot]

So... you see that path there in the first pic? Yeah, probably wasn't the best idea I had today, but I walked (more like stumbled) down to the bottom of the crater, and walked out to the center to take a panorama and admire the quiet. Coming back up, I had to stop about a dozen times to have a heart attack. I'm definitely going to be feeling this in the morning. Note to self: Don't walk up the sides of craters anymore.

Panoramas soon.

And I came this close to creaming a deer on my way out there, so for most of this trip I was like
HHNNNGG.jpg

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
^ Woah, you totally don't get the sense of scale from the shots, especially of the first crater one.

Here's a *very* lucky shot I took this week. I wanted to get a better perspective of the guys seen in the background, so held up the camera high above my head to take the shot, but it instead focused on one of the pap's video cameras.

Man With The Movie Camera
Man_With_The_Movie_Camera_by_plasmadaemon.jpg

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
A bit OT but here's a quick fstop question for you.

When I switched to my d300 from my d70s I noticed that it was much less sensitive to light, I knew it would happen since it's basically the same size sensor just crammed with more mega pixels but now I'm having to use higher fstops like f5 (which is almost wide open on my main zoom). To me f8 seems to be the sharpest on my main lens, but would using f7.1 really be a big difference? I've really not been able to work with the camera as much as I'd like, and some of you are way more experienced with this than I. Just wanted to know what your thoughts are.