Bad name Index

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sterno

Eastern Canadien
Jan 17, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Visit site
I had a post about this prior to the forums crashing but no one could figure out what the problem was.

Whenever certain maps are on the server my game crashes and I get a bad name index error. It is only certain maps and it will even crash the game if I click on a server that is running a bad map in my browser.

Attachments

• error.GIF
    error.GIF
    75.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Midwinter

sneaky bastard
Oct 15, 2000
Valencia, Spain
Visit site
Hmmm... weird. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that when you click on a server it shows the screenshot of the level? That is located within the .unr file, i think. Maybe you have corrupted files?

Nappie

Aug 27, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
[edit]Whoops! Please excuse me, I found the thread through Google and I completely overlooked that this is a Mod specific forum. :stupid:
[/edit]

I am having the same problem with some maps. Has anyone figured out what causes this in the past month?

I'd be happy to post addititional info but you may have to point me to it. I have not played UT2003 that long.

The info I have right now: patch 2225 is installed, bright skins, debonus and epicbonus as well.
I am running WinXP pro (all "required patches" installed) on an Athlon XP2500, 521MB ram, Asus A7N8X Deluxe mb, ATI 9700 Pro.

Last edited:

Sterno

Eastern Canadien
Jan 17, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Visit site
This mod is actually for the orignal ut and I have yet to come up up with a solution. But I can tell you guys one thing, if this continues for me when 2.9 is released I am absolutely going to lose it!!!!!

reomer

Aug 22, 2001
Northwest coast
Visit site
Sterno said:
yeah I only installed it into unrealT/inf/sys directory, just looked around and did a search and there are no other copies on my hd.

Man, I saw that before. There are a lot of places to download maps and stuff for this game unfortunately not all are compatible or have missing files. I must have gotten 20-30 maps that just wouldn't get along with my game. Shadowraith put out a mastermaps cd. You should check with him or go to mastermaps.wraithnet.net Hope this helps.

Sterno

Eastern Canadien
Jan 17, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Visit site
Thanks reomer, the only thing getting to me is that I have played these maps before on my system. Unfortunetly I uninstalled Inf and then reinstalled sometime later. I have never been able to correct the problem since. I think it has to be something to do with screenshots not loading. that would be the only thing that would explain why it was crashing in browser.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
If you can't see a screenshot on the preview, then there's either a missing or different version of any file that map needs. If you've still got the archives, check the ones that don't work to see if there's anything in the readmes about it.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
When you say that you have uninstalled Infiltration several time , do you have uninstalled Unreal Tournament too ?

Each time i had to uninstall Inf , if i didnt uninstall Unreal Tournament too after , i cant have any kind of newly installed mod to work after that

So my suggestion is (save the file you need before following the steps, especially the .ini files that had your key binds)

-Uninstall infiltration and its MapPack
-Uninstall any other mod you can have
-Uninstall UnrealTournament (if you cant by the add/remove pannel, run the file Setup.exe in your UnrealTournament/System folder to achieve this too)
-Delete the UnrealTournament folder from your hard drive (important step)

-Install UnrealTournament , patch it to version 4.36
-Install the 3/4 bonus packs for UT (i am not sure it is needed but i do that every time)
-Install Infiltration
-Install full Infiltration Bonus Pack

Do not install any other "unofficial" maps yet

If you use a new OpenGl dll for UT/INF/etc , put it in .../UnrealTournament/System now in the place of the one that is already there

Now, everything should be fine after this clean install
Launch the game offline first to see if all is fine (and to set up your videos settings/render) and play some maps.

If the problem is there again with the "official" maps , that will be very weird.

Then, when you will install some new maps , be carefull if a file has the same name as one you already have.

Last edited:

Sterno

Eastern Canadien
Jan 17, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Visit site
When I have uninstalled INf I have also uninstalled Ut. I will however take all those steps to install for 2.9. I just hope I can get my video settings running fine again in opengl. Oh well if not there are always you guys to help me out.
Thanks for all the help fellas.

Sterno

Eastern Canadien
Jan 17, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Visit site
Got my first one from 2.9 today. Was on frozen, which is a 2.86 map. When I installed it was fresh ut and everything else as well as all files deleted and I ran a registry cleaner.
I have no idea what could be causing this.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Darn, didn't want to hear that Sterno. I had exactly the same issue before with 2.86 and actually it was one thing that put me off inf for months..
Sofar 2.9 has been perfect...

/me brings tumb to forhead while whispering touch the wood...

I seriously hope it won't reappear for me too. Haven't been on frozen myself yet btw. If it gets bad again, I'm going to blow off some money on a new system and build everything from scratch up again, I can't be without inf again...

//Kee