Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I haven't tried Permafrost yet in a real game, but the layout looked entertaining from a skiing-around point of view. My main criticism is that the valleys can be travelled down with almost no-effort after dropping down from the flag base at high speed.

Chasing feels like it's going to be impossible.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
That's what plasma RDR is for. Or DMB. Remember, blaster rounds bounce, if you really want to get his goat.

Yeah sure. I don't mind wether he'd kill me or not, it's all in the attitude. For some reasons I can't stand having to sit and play with people like these, I can't ignore them.

So I do my best at muting as much as I can, Sometimes the game remove them from my mute list, so they become un-muted again. Next thing they can come in packs, that is the worse case scenario.

This is why I want a in-game mute options, so I don't have to type in their name and make sure there's a slash every time.

You don't want to SAY mute ap/b/tard. That's too bad.

Anyway, the tech plasma any good? I now have 90k-ish after my Jugg LMG purchase (didn't regret it), and I'm thinking between this or the Twinfuser since patch buff. Was the twinfuser really buffed at all? From what I've seen of it it was pretty much useless, people rarely killed me with it unless they had really good predictions.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I haven't tried any of the tech stuff except the repair thingies, and they're pretty good. You can just leave them out of sight near a turret, or the radar and let the free credits roll in whilst stuff is being repaired. It also frees up your need to carry a repair gun, so you can drop them, then bugger off to fill some other role. Two technicians can cover an entire base nicely.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I can't ignore them.

So I do my best at muting as much as I can,

I'm all for a mute function, I just typically try to respond to annoying text with in game griefing, on an "Actions speak louder than words" type basis.

The TC24 is what plasma should have been. As such, it's pretty inferior to the rest of this weapons. It's range is even shorter than RDR plasma, I think it's damage output per clip is better than a thump shot, but you gotta land all four shots. It's effective enough outside, but doesn't have a great long range pairing. I found myself actually wanting to use the Sparrow, because the sawed off doesn't have good range either. Inside, the problem is you have more opportunity for your opponent to crowd you, and take splash damage from your own fire, since it's so much spammier than a single shot type thump weapon. Killed myself quite a bit with it yesterday. Already, I'm looking forward to having it leveled, and getting to TCN4/SawedOff, but to be fair, it's only been one day, and it's not fully upgraded. Now with the repair kits making the sawed off viable without sacrificing the ability to repair, you can't damage your self with either bullet weapon, and the Sawed off drops lights in two shots (one clip short range) and the TCN4 has great range, and is still the second best weapon in the game. They compliment each other perfectly, and safely.

It's hard for me to see the TC24 being superior in any way. It's probably work best with ERT/TCNG/LTurrets. Or, since it is okay by it self, and doesn't have a great slot2 pairing, you could double down on repairs, and go ERT/RKit/Lturrets. I do think EXR turrets will pair better with the TCN4 though. The TCN4 does more constant damage, and as such, is more attention grabbing, then slip 380 dmg rockets in there, and you get stuff done, much in the same way it's easy to thump guys when they are getting pelted by your LTurret, and they are too focused on it.

I think the problem is now, I'm leveling all the new stuff at once, and each item would work better paired with one of his old items. One thing is for sure, the repair kit provides a lot of versatility. It's viable now to run two guns, and use wall guns when you need fast repairs. Since the repair kits don't seem effected by the Mechanic perk, I'm running quickdraw, and that's pretty fun.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I think that the TC24's projectile appearance should look more like a rocket. Doesn't really make sense as what it appears to be right now, though it is essentially a rapid-fire Titan Launcher. I'm also super rusty and incapable of playing the game well (especially since I haven't had regular practice).

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The TC24 is what plasma should have been. As such, it's pretty inferior to the rest of this weapons. It's range is even shorter than RDR plasma, I think it's damage output per clip is better than a thump shot...

It's hard for me to see the TC24 being superior in any way.

Yes. The technician plasma is ultimate shit. Kinda wish I didn't drop a 88k on this one, looks like I'll have to wait until buff.

Not only is the range terrible, but the clip is very short, the damage is ~300 ish on direct hits. I simply can not compute such statistics. As much as the technician isn't a combat class, I'd take the thumper and SMG combo over this joke any time of the day. I'll have to find out if it is even remotely better after the full upgrade.

They want to make the Plasma compete with the Technician SMG, and it's totally not worth bothering with. I'd still go with the SMG all day.

It's becoming pretty damn common these days with new weapons, their reputation was "New Update = New OP Weapons" and it pissed people off, so now what they do is they make sure their new weapons are UP. For every new weapons they add, they're always under powered. Customers and active players have to wait for the next update to actually see the potential.

You know, I'm fine with the fact new weapons are not OP. I wish they would react faster to patch them with proper damage.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
You can't shut chat off anymore?

Clan tags broke it.

Yeah, I was hoping to get that post up before you made a decision.

I think as a solo weapon, it could prove better than the TCN4 (less grenades) and the Thumper, so if you wanted to run double repairs, that would be the slot1 of choice. Beyond that, I'd rather go Thump/SawedOff/ or TCN4/TCNG, or even TCN4/SawedOff. I am probably going to give double repairs a run now though, since I think the EXR and TC24 don't pair to well.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
At least twinfusors don't suck nearly as much as they did beforehand. I'm still playing pretty poorly. I need to get back on form.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I haven't got into CTF Blitz, doesn't sound appealing to me after 2 or so games of it.

Aside from that, I officially am sick of Turtle dance (Completely change flag stand, add shield generator like Sunstar?) and every other maps that pretty much plays the same. Sunstar, Katabatic, ARX Novera (Drydock can provide good games) are my personal favorite for good mixture of offense and defense (Crossfire is just bad however).

The new maps aren't fun. No one really need to bother mentioning it, as veterans we could tell how the map would play from looking at the developer update reveal video.

DC is another one of these turtle defense maps, no generators = 24/7 turrets, nowhere to hide around the enemy base, Sentinels owns this map. Even though the travel distance is quite short, the spawning, terrain (a fucking crater..) makes it very easy to go anywhere and no one can hide. And no one uses the middle bridge, bitch please man.

PermaFrost is high defense long traveling.. do these fucking level designers even play the game? It seems like they want to create something different every time, but that's totally NOT the point, the point is to make something fun.

At least Stonehenge is better than those 2.

/vent

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The new maps are certainly far from great. It feels like with each successive new map, the terrain features are also increasingly exaggerated, when they really don't need to be. Note how the best maps largely lack massively varied height in terrain; Arx Novena is essentially a simple bowl with a couple of canyons, but the rest is pretty flat. Drydock has a circular recession, Katabatic is largely flat save for the two very tall hills.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Blitz will be cool until people know the spawns well and start timing chain grabs.

Also, I think people like it now, because not as many people have 220kph+ grab routes for the new flag locations yet.