Welcome To The End

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I swear these boards are getting deader every passing day. Sad to say, I think it's only a matter of time before this site gets shut down completely, especially considering the latest announcement on the BU homepage.

It's been good times with you all but perhaps it's for the best. Maybe we'll meet again on some other forum. I'll miss you a lot and...

Oh, who am I kidding? I hate you all fags.

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
......or you could put your impulsive homophobia aside and become a writer.

It's so much more convenient and easier to be a lazy negative nancy than it is to become productive and provide.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls2lC7DQFMI[/m]

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG-8uZg2uV0[/m]

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntLsElbW9Xo[/m]

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
......or you could put your impulsive homophobia aside and become a writer.

It's so much more convenient and easier to be a lazy negative nancy than it is to become productive and provide.

Wait. Are you saying that I would make a good writer or are you just saying I should post more threads?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I won't be shutting the site down. I just paid to keep it going for another ten years basically :p

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I won't be shutting the site down. I just paid to keep it going for another ten years basically :p

*shrug* I don't know. I just don't see this site going for that long without any serious Unreal news. And with less people posting and the people who do post coming on less and less as the weeks go by, It's not that hard to see why.

Hate me all you want. Call me an idiot. Hopefully I am wrong and we'll see a resurgence of activity sometime. Until then though, this is what I see.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
As hard as it sometimes is, I am 100% behind this site,
and see it for what it was, what it is, and what it can be.

The volume of off-topic and spam, has made many people use other sites for more serious work (the same problem with Unreal Playground).
Hell even the legendary Wormbo now shows-up at ut99.org as his wisdom and experience is very welcomed.
I am a member of so many U-engine sites and forums, I do not have enough time to post in them all. There is new stuff happening all the time. People just choose not to bring it here any more.
People even choose not to link to this site, due to it's reputation.
The official Epic forums are a better option.

As amusing as certain posts here may be, they would be locked by the admin instantly over there. That is what blogs and Facebook are for.
The ut99.org site has gone from being a community place of arguments, to a clean site full of useful resources and tutorials.
People still try to bring their external arguments and selfish attitudes into the house, but the ban-hammer is hard and swift.

To be honest, the quietness of this forum is not a bad thing, as it means people have more time to fix and tweak the wiki, and deal with other admin tasks.
Many people are not aware of the huge amount of work that has still happened behind the scenes.
Since the old downloads section died, effort has been put in by many to fix the wiki into an up-to-date DL source for all your Unreal needs.
Thankyou to all those who have bothered to help, and thankyou to those who still give valid posts and input.

The forum is just 1 part of the whole.
This forum and site have much potential. Remember it is "Beyond" Unreal, and there are many, many Unreal engine mods and games that are not UT.

1 unfortunate change I would make here at BuF, would be to disable the tags on threads.
They are no longer useful as they are primarily used by the cowardly trolls. Indeed you will see a fine example at the bottom of this very thread.
I am confident that if a poll was posted, you would see all the spam-fiends would say keep it, but those of us who try to use this place as a resource, quickly learn to ignore the pointless tags.

You could argue that people can just ignore it, but the search-engines don't (they focus on it), and this place looks like a deep hole of misery and bullying as far as the search engines are concerned.
The vast majority of non-relevent keywords spammed all over this place, keep it lower in the rankings than it should be.
Real and relevant tags and keywords are hardly ever used (but thankfully are over-all the most used).
http://www.webrankstats.com/webstats/forums.beyondunreal.com
This site "is what it is". We either start again or gradually build it back into a "working" community. A centre of excellence and learning of all things U-engine.
Unless Epic stops making the U-engine, there is no reason for this site to close.

I keep meeting people online, who think that the Unreal-engine sites are a dead wasteland of abandoned sites, as the top results in the search engines do not show the genuinely active or useful.
Those top sites are older, and feature text and keywords that relate to Unreal stuff.

It is not the lack of activity by the community that as strangled this place, it is the over-activity of the trolls, and the children who cannot string together enough words to make sentences, or say, or see anything positive, or suggest any genuine options for progressing the site.

And cue the dance of the trolls......

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Hate me all you want. Call me an idiot. Hopefully I am wrong and we'll see a resurgence of activity sometime. Until then though, this is what I see.
Why would anyone hate you? I was just stating the facts. As long as I'm in charge of this site, it won't get shut down.

The biggest reason nothing is going on is because there is very little to talk about and we just don't have really active people on staff right now. If people are interested in helping out with posting interesting news and such, then they are welcome to contact me and work out the details. There is certainly a great deal to write about that is not related directly to Epic.

What hal's post was talking about is that the staff activity on this site which is generally delegated to me, hal, and very occasionally Wormbo (for mostly administrative tasks) is pretty tightly coupled with how much interest we have in what Epic is doing. It has been forever since there has been any PC-related activity from Epic in practically any way, and posting Engine showcase videos every few months just isn't all that exciting.

Another factor playing into this is that Epic has pretty much taken over control of their community outreach. Where we at one time had a very close knit relationship with Epic and would get many exclusives and visits to their offices every couple of years, we now hear what everyone else hears through social media and other places generally an hour or so ahead.

What this all boils down to is just very low interest in keeping the site as active as we have in the past. If Epic starts making some movements, then, sure, we will pick back up again and the site will be here ready for us. But, for now, this is where we are. I don't think it's stupid to say it seems dead here. It does seem dead here.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Arnox, dr.flay, are you saying we need a moderator? Who do you suggest?

Not really. We may if we get some activity spikes but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I'm just saying that the Games forum of the site is rather dead and I don't see it picking up any time soon. It's not anyone's fault of course. It's just what Brizz said. Epic's been really quiet as of late, which obviously isn't a good sign, but I digress. We can't report on something that simply isn't there.

As to Dr. Flay, he's right in that the rest of the site has a lot of potential. At the moment though, I haven't seen any activity on that front for a very long time.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Keep it alive!

I'm glad to hear that BU will stay alive for unforeseeable future. It is kinda iconic site for all Unreal releated content.
Things aren't much active right now and news are hard to come by.. There's lot of un-reviewed content laying around, but it still needs people and time.

UT1 releated talk has mostly moved over to ut99.org and I don't know much about UT2kx/UT3 community status right now. Maybe someone can comment on that.
There won't be much activity increase unless some major Unreal releated news/announcement happes.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
People and time indeed. Most people have many obligations to fulfill, be it in the routine of daily work life or their precious social networking extravaganza a la facebook. Sometimes people just take a break, lives change a bit, other interests. It's said before, and without a new UT or Unreal title (UT3 is six years old btw)...

I sure didn't expect this site to be gone when I returned. Looks like most of the "old faces" are still around. Some people have left the building, temporarily perhaps. (where's kantham f.e.) Times change, but this couldn't be the very end anyway.

And buf can be a nice hangout. I've had quite a few good laughs here and it felt good to return.

Although I'm totally out of the loop.

Last edited:

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
I have seen BU in its prime, and slowly going down to the state it is now.
I also miss checking the news of the Unreal universe, but if anything, the community should be the one to step in and send some PMs to the news-makers to get some activity going on.

There is still stuff being released in the Unreal and UT series (either it's Unreal, UT1, UT2k4, UT3 or even just UEngine stuff), so from there people should let the guys in charge of the news know about them, and from there maybe we could see something going again.

Who exactly should we PM to get news posted btw?