Aside from Envy...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Dark Pulse said:
Yeah, you need to wonder how you're going to run a game that's heavily based on DirectX on nVidia cards, as they're better suited for OpenGL last I looked.
Um....no.

Xipher

I didn't break it, you did
Feb 15, 2004
Iowa
Seeing as they are going to have Direct3D AND OpenGL renders, I don't see what the fuss is about any how. Mainly, Direct3D will be the primary render in Windows, while other OS's use OpenGL. This is no different then UT200X. Now, the OpenGL render was also avalible in Windows, although I don't think it was commonly used, since it normally didn't preform as wll, and also had missing features (Render to Texture, I think is what it was called, thats used for the Hellbender License plate)

Last edited:

Timonator

00ber n00ber
Feb 5, 2005
it IS called render to texture, but i really dont know why the hell they didnt do it? RenderToTexture _IS_ supported by OpenGL, but not by the game :(
basically you can do almost everything with OGL you can do with D3D and vice versa, so OGL has features D3D doesnt have andother way around

personally i like OGL more, because the NVidia support is better, there is linux support (really good linux support!) and it doesnt have Microsoft all over it :p
(+ its easyer to code so you can spend more time on the gameplay/engine code than on the graphics code!)

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
edhe said:
The difference would be a half dozen frames anyway - imho go for the better priced option that's cooler.

Oh, so you mean go with ATI? :p

I don't see the point in debating the video cards. To each his own. I'm a hardcore ATI guy, and short of major unseen disasters, I will be sticking with them until the 8th circle freezes over. Then I'll take that as a sign and go back to nVidia.

Not to knock them as a company though - I love my nForece 4 mobo. :D

Timonator

00ber n00ber
Feb 5, 2005
for me ATI is teh suxx0r, but thats just due to ****ing bad linux drivers and the worst OpenGL support i have ever seen :)

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Even though both API's are availible in a game, doesn't mean it won't matter. Developers usually only focus on one API as the main one, and hence said discrepencies. I tried running GL on my 6600, and D3D is still more stable, with minimal quality increase. Running D3D though, means I can't jack my settings through the roof (in general).

I miss Glide.

Xipher

I didn't break it, you did
Feb 15, 2004
Iowa
-AEnubis- said:
Even though both API's are availible in a game, doesn't mean it won't matter. Developers usually only focus on one API as the main one, and hence said discrepencies. I tried running GL on my 6600, and D3D is still more stable, with minimal quality increase. Running D3D though, means I can't jack my settings through the roof (in general).

I miss Glide.
Yes, but when this main one isn't avalible across all platforms (Mac, and Linux get the OpenGL Render, as Direct3D is a Microsoft thing) Its good to give a choice. Although I will agree, the OpenGL isn't nearly as good in Windows as Direct3D, Its basicly the only option on other PC OSs.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Actually, I prefer the way games optimized for GL look, as opposed to games optimized for D3D, it's just that this game looks better in D3D because of that optimization.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
OGL is only included for the Linux users to be able to play.

In that case, go for nvidia who have a stronger OGL architecture.

ATi have been knocking out the best framerates for 2k4 at the lower cost..

Look at benchmarks and prices and choose *yourself* people.

Doikor

Apr 7, 2005
Well its not only that. To make UT3 really portable to all platforms they need OGL (as i remember playstation doesnt have directx). And the ATI drivers suck big time in linux. (You should be happy to get the firegl to work)

Timonator

00ber n00ber
Feb 5, 2005
yeah and DONT TRY TO UPDATE THEM!!11oneone
they dont tell you that for nothing :D
(updating the linux drivers from ATI may reault in either abig explosion, a big fireball, a big cloud of smoke or your mom getting shaved :) )