Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC releases

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diehard

DieHared, that is just a texture and not a player skin, are you sure there wasn't a mistake on your part when you posted these pics?
EDIT: Ah I see you tried to apply that texture into S3TC.

Yeah it was just a test to see if could be done at all. And to amke sure i could test the amount of detail i used a texture that had alot of recognisable and readable detail.

Can S3TC skins be applied with mutators?

That i asume can be done as well, but of course its only needed for the skins that are sitting in the .u files. The female/male skins are in a utx files. Just a pitty Epic added the remaining to the .u files.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Lol my post made no sense at all, sorry for the typo and misspelled name also.
And in the edit I meant that you tried to apply the texure into the skin as a test, which I didn't get at first, I thought you made a real S3TC skin at first..

Diehard

I need a few admins to test the S3TC packages from Hourences. So if your an admin than please come forward and join a small test program. Its really not alot of work and only requires to install the normal packages from Hourences along with a test map on your server.

On the clientsided end it only requires to have the S3TC versions of those installed and that same map(or download it from your own server). And i want to release the packages as soon as possible, but they need to be tested online to find out if they work or not.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
424 replies later

Is the first post in this thread being updated as things change over time? I had my little fingers in all of this a long time ago and everything was looking pretty good then. I know plenty has changed since I put any effort towards making sure people could instal the S3TC textures properly every time.

On the 1st post it still mentions sliding player issues etc.

That isn't totally dead yet? I also see now to never ever use the S3TC Texture Fix .exe and it makes me wonder why? It worked perfectly back then.

Lastly, someone awhile back asked for Deck 16 textures. Were they ever made?

The most important thing here to me is that the first post be as up to date as possible or copy it and make the updates to it and post it again here at the end each time there is a new change. Just suggestions here to keep it as easy as possible on the lazy folk (me).

Diehard

I will redo the initial post when i feel for it, and i agree it contains outdated info and needs an overhaul.

This year i have been nothing but ill and that slows down the project, on top of that my mother had been in the hospital for 6 weeks in critical condition, and i had to got there pretty much every day. On the 11 July she passed away peacefully and needless to say that was a big shock for me and my family. Last monday we had the funeral, which was the funeral she wanted and talked through with me in the last years, and it all went fine.

But its all too much for my head, me being ill and loosing my mother only 18 months after my dad passed away. The project isnt dead, i recently payed for another 5 years on the website, and i only need to match the domain name for the same period. The low Euro and lack of money prevented me from doing already.

I have had several requests for doing the Deck16 textures and i had a look at those a few months ago, and they can be done "easelly" meaning they are very doable its just the tons of work that needs to be put in it. But on technical view they simpply can be made without any hasle.

Because of the time since there were releases i wanted to release the S3TC packages from Hourences as plaster on the wound, but i needed testers for those. And no-one came forward unfortunatelly, except Protos today. Today i was finally able to do some testing with Protos his server, and an error did surface in the form of the skating player glitch. It seems its limited to one package but i need conformation before i can do the actual releases.

In this case if the glitch occurs, nothing can be done, i cannot fix the package involved, and the only solution is to exclude it from release. But as said, i need conformation from others on the test results. For that matter i still am looking for admins to test the stuff on their servers to try exclude errors prior to release.

So admins that want to do a few simple tests (count an hour work)please come forward.

But in a nutshell, i will try redo the initial page, i will try work on the Deck16 textures and if a few admins step in, i could release the S3TC textures from Hourences this week.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Sorry...

I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. I lost my Mom last year. She was all I had left as far as parents go. I lost my Dad when I was 6. I'm pleased to say that the pain of your loss will subside gradually and yet I still have meltdowns thinking of my Mom often. I have said a prayer for you and your family.

I have a few servers. I just don't have time but since you're willing to commit time and effort to it, I am too. I just can't right now. Maybe in a couple of weeks! At that time, I'll make another server which I haven't done in about 5 years and we'll get busy with testing. Peace Diehard! Peace.

awergh

Apr 12, 2008
Sorry to hear about your mother.

I can probably help you do some testing although I don't run any servers online I do stuff with ut servers on my network which should work just as well, and since I have lots of hardware I can run multiple servers with different configurations if thats what is needed.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
This skating players problem, does it happen if you're just using the original S3TC textures that came on the official bonus disk? I thought I might use them, because they don't clash with areas that still use the vanilla textures so much (you know when you have a super high res texture next to a standard texture it sometimes looks a bit funny). Are there any problems with those S3TC textures that come on the disk?

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
This skating players problem, does it happen if you're just using the original S3TC textures that came on the official bonus disk?
Yes.

I thought I might use them, because they don't clash with areas that still use the vanilla textures so much (you know when you have a super high res texture next to a standard texture it sometimes looks a bit funny). Are there any problems with those S3TC textures that come on the disk?

It's absolutely your call as to what you use but Diehard has converted more of the textures to higher resolutions than are available on Disk 2 so you should get a more complete experience (I suppose the few remaining standard resolution textures do stand out more when using Diehard's texture set)

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
It's absolutely your call as to what you use but Diehard has converted more of the textures to higher resolutions than are available on Disk 2 so you should get a more complete experience (I suppose the few remaining standard resolution textures do stand out more when using Diehard's texture set)

Maybe I'll just use vanilla textures for now. I don't want to have any worry over skating players, and I just read on that other thread that some of the disk S3TC texture mess up the sky... :eek:

Diehard

This skating players problem, does it happen if you're just using the original S3TC textures that came on the official bonus disk? I thought I might use them, because they don't clash with areas that still use the vanilla textures so much (you know when you have a super high res texture next to a standard texture it sometimes looks a bit funny). Are there any problems with those S3TC textures that come on the disk?

Because there are still people that like the 2nd CD textures for whatever reasons, i will process those files in the near future as well to try fix the skating player glitch from those. But seeing my health it will take time till i can do so.

Apart from that, in all circumstances you are worse of with the 2nd CD S3TC textures. The textures from the URP/UTRP project have misaligned textures fixes, masking problems fixed aside a truckload more S3TC textures (Almost 1500 Mb more S3TC textures).

As for the skating player glitch. I didnt do bugreports yet, so i have not asked. But the last update should have fixed that. But as said, i havnt asked people yet if they still encounter the bug. Test showed the bugs were gone, but at the end, actual players in the field will likelly end up more often in situations where the glitch could occur, so input from players is wanted to agree the glitch is gone or not.

So i guess people simply should post here weather they still see the glitch after the last update. But as said, at least theoretically the bug should be gone and tests did proof that.

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Oh-oh

Oh-oh! I think I'm getting that motivated feeling! I look forward to the time when I can sit down night after night trying this out and commenting but with a wife and a couple of kids plus a dog and a new house and not selling the old house yet, I have to wait longer. It will be great when they are all done and all work with an easy set of instructions or possible even just a UMOD install. That will be the best day for UT in a long long time.

Diehard

It will be great when they are all done and all work with an easy set of instructions or possible even just a UMOD install.

Its unlikelly there ever will be a UMOD file. And dont get me wrong, i wouldnt mind at all to also have it available in a UMOD file. But its technically impossible. The current High End textures will barelly fit in the file, but the Extreme End already passes the 2 gigabyte limit for a single file in the current excisting filehandling.

And when the project is done, than the High End files are probably around 4 gigabyte and the Extreme End could even topple 15 gigabyte :)

And even if it was possible to pour it into a UMOD file that large, than the download must be split in lots of win or rar files because a single UMOD file being 15000 MB large will fail to download sheer because the size and the time needed to download it.

But see it on the bright side :) Its unlikelly there ever wil be a game in the near and further future to have that much amount of super large textures ;)

Diehard

New site for UT

The reasons

Because of my ever declining health i decided to split www.UnrealTexture.com into two sites:

www.UnrealTexture.com for Unreal

and

www.UTTexture.com for Unreal Tournament

My health is that bad i didnt want to take the risk that if everything turns to the worse the site would go down.

Unreal Texture was reaching a critical size which in time could have lead to problems with the host in the (near) future. And long time i have been debating with myself to split the site up to prevent problems. About 3 weeks ago i purchased the new domain name and rented webspace for the new site.

Technically it means that the bandwidth and occupied webspace now is cut in half, which reduces the stress on the servers its running from. In addition to that the websites run off a different box being the HOUSE server for Unreal and the PELE server for UT. So if one site goes down, than the most crucial files(S3TC textures) can be obtianed from the site that is still running(I still do need to set that up). It also means that the site(s) can grow further without problems.

Mishap....

Right when i started uploading i noticed there was something missing on the site. And i thought i upload the stuff first and than contact the host. So after 60 hours of uploading i contacted the host about the problem. Only to find out that in order for them to have it fixed i had to pay an additioanl(big) fee as it was an extra service which is billed seperatelly. Previously it was within the package for free. After paying the fee i got somewhay in dept, but it was too important for me to have it, in order to do decent maintenance on the site.

The other problem was, they needed to move the site to another server(from the COMMODUS to the PELE server) that supports that feature. And the only way it could be done was re-uploading the entire lot to the new server........ Sigh. And this time it took over 70 hours to upload it. But alla its uploaded, and even though it took 130 hours of uploading the site is there now, and as far as i can see everything works as it should work. Needless to say i did regret to not solve the issue before i started uploading ::)

From clients point of view

From clients point of view its hardly to notice from the outside anything changed. Regardless what what website you choose, the mainpages will automatially redirect you to the proper site depending on the button you press(Unreal or UT). Effectivelly its only noticable on the left top corner that either show the Unreal Texture logo or the UT Texture logo. And of course the domainname in the adress.

UnrealTextureLogo01.jpg
UTTextureLogo01.jpg

It might be usefull to update your links if you have any. And i also dont mind if people post this info on other forums as much as possible, so the google ranking will go up ASAP. Because at the end, the more people that find the sites the better it is for new and old players(who start playing again) to find info they might need.

Donations

Though the sites have been payed for the time being, i still dont mind if donations are being made. And the donations will be used to keep working on URP and UTRP projects. Mainly its needed to get enough hardrivespace which i am always in big need for. But also other expenses i have, to be able to create the textures. It happens regularly i need to buy things in shops to gain access to a surface i need, but also money for gas, and bustickets if i need to take photos in a certain area not close to home. On a yearly base the textures do cost me around 2000-3000 dollars a year which is alot of money. So even though the websites have been payed now, i dont mind donations for both projects. Anything is welcome :)

Progress on the projects

As everybody probably knows by now, my health went even worse than it already was(and it already was bad to the bone). Ill try to keep working wherever i can to create new updates. But at this moment i cannot really make a prediction how soon updates wil be released. But as said, where i can i work on them.

But at least the site(s) have a much more solid future now, which personally is big relief to me.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I hope you get better, I was lately having a lot of examinations and last week was out of town to get some special blood tests and stuff myself and was diagnosed with raynauds syndrome, plus they found something on my brain etc...

I hope I didn't create much problem to the bandwith as well, with my own acount on your site.
If anything goes south, I hope you will inform me, so I could move my own files over, or that other stuff could be saved and I would not want the retexturing project go down as well.

Diehard

Well its good they do have a diagnose, that would at least be a step forward for you.

As for your site, it kinda was involved in the decision, but mainly on filesize rather than bandwidth. And dont get me wrong, your files are no problem, nor the bandwidth, but each megabyte on the site added to the problem of course. So in that respect your files added to the problem, but so did any other file on the site. All in total it was getting too much, and i didnt want to take the risk the site could go down.

And its my decision to host your files and you are alowed to use the allocated space for it. But its history anyway, the site has been split up now, and that includes both filesize and bandwidth. So if your files ever were a problem than its solved now.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I had diagnose(s) already, although not for that of course and I didn't really get much info about raynaud's until that doctor told me I have it, based on the examination.

Thank you.

Anyway I really hope this project will go on and you will get better, although I myself don't use your S3TC textures right now (although I did once) mainly because of limited space on my laptop. But I think it is a great continuation of the S3TC UT textures and almost everyone use it out there nowadays, so this project is a big sucess as well and I wish you best luck in the future on it.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your health, Diehard. Regardless whether or not you put out anything in the future, I for one, am grateful for what you've done already for original UT. You've went far above and beyond the call of duty. All the best to you.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
My health is that bad i didnt want to take the risk that if everything turns to the worse the site would go down.

Really hope your health does get better.

As I am pretty sure I have mentioned to you before, but I have the resources to handle both of your sites (I think, you'll need to give me some figures so I'll know for sure; monthly bandwidth and hard disk usage) which means should something happen and the sites are goign to go down, I will take over them. Granted I wont make any changes to them what-so-ever (unless its a html/php bug that needs fixing) but I can mirror it for archive purposes. So keep me in mind should your sites have issue.