Mouse that can take a beating

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Another vote for the MX518. Although there is some cosmetic scuffing and the rubber film is peeling, the functionality has not suffered one bit after a lot of abuse.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Hi,
I've had a razer diamondback for the last couple of years but its left mouse button wore out. So I opened up the mouse and replaced the foot its on (the foot does the clicking) with plastic paste. It worked good as new for a couple of months now but I can feel it's wearing down again.
So for my next mouse I'd like to ask if you can point me in the direction of a sturdy model that can take a little abuse.

What I need:
  • left, right and middle mouse button plus mouse wheel, all of which should have to be clicked and not just barely touched
  • a tough mouse that can survive prolonged exposure to DiabloI-like clickfests and Milkshapey scrolling orgies
  • the mouse has to be easy to pick up and move. I'm a shuffler

I don't care much if it's wired or wireless (unless it has noticeable lag and ultra short battery live) or how much dpi it has as long as it's within reasonable limits. 800+ dpi should do fine.

Don't listen to all these other suckers, since you're already used to the Diamondback, get another one. These things are awesome and I don't think I could ever switch away. I've tried the G5 and it was way too fat, unresponsive, and the mouse wheel sucks like someone else mentioned.

I'm sure the MX518 is an awesome mouse like everyone always says, but if you're used to the small form factor of the Diamondback it's probably a way better choice.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
I used a 510 for while, but the scroll wheel failed after a while (Too much weaponswitch!). Did a warranty swap for a 518, but the teflon pads came off, and it was never quite right after I put the replacement pads on.

Used a MS Sidewinder mouse for a while, but the tracking went to hell after a year, so I'm using a g9x now. and SO FAR it's been bulletproof.

So I guess it comes down to how much you use your mouse, and how long you want it to last. I got ~3 years each out of my mx51x, just over a year from the sidewinder, and I've put 8 months on the g9x.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I replaced my MX518 with the G5 rev. 2 and liked it. After borrowing a Razer from a friend I needed one of my own. G5 is sluggish and not nearly as precise at the (supposedly) same DPI/polling settings.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Deathadder.

Not a sign of defect or even wear yet. 2 Years old, daily use for 4-5 hours of work and at least 1 hour of Quake or Starcraft at low sensitivity (so I'm literally throwing this thing around).

That and it performs better than any other mouse I've tried.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
If you want long-lasting, you need to get the same mouse I have. I have been using it for ten years on a daily basis. I paid $15 for it in 2000. It's a white USB optical mouse with a dark-colored translucent bottom. I had to take it apart and fix a wire in 2008, but otherwise, it's been going strong the entire time. I don't even remember who made it and all of the identifiers are long since worn off, save for one - the word 'Mouse' with a little cartoonized mouse where the 'o' should be. I think it's a 400dpi.

In any case, this mouse was certainly my best purchase of this decade.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
been using a mx510 for like? 8-9 years? still works flawlessly, they don't seem to sell them any more but the 518 is basically its improved brother, so go get that.

I've been using it at home for so long that its extra buttons have become second nature, I have these moments of genuine confusion when I sit down at other peoples PC's and they don't have a forward / back thumb button, it takes my brain a minute to work out what's wrong.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I've had the second-gen G5 for about 2 years now and it still works great. Only damage is the Logitech logo is almost worn off

Logitech G5 or G500, both are extremely accurate and comfortable mice :tup:
In regards to the G500, how hard/easy to use is the thumbbutton mashing on the side?
Just looking at it makes me think the bottom button would be a pain to press without hitting the others
Also, the sensitivity buttons easier to press now that they're on the left side of LeftMouse?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I used G500 about two weeks and it will be my next mouse when G5 dies (hope not =))
Thumbbuttons are just fine as they were with G5.
I personally never use sens. buttons, but it's easier to switch dpi than it was with G5.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I rarely use them for sens adjustments. General usage has them set to scroll up/down the page
At the same time since they can be rebound to other commands I'd find that useful for gaming

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
My mx518 finally started acting up after 3 years. It would stop responding for a few secs every now and then, I assume the cable had probs or something. Now I have the Kone. It's a really good mouse but I prefer the wheel on the mx518. It was just perfect.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The G9 is the most overpriced mice I've ever seen so far.

I personally own a MX518 for quite a while now, I've been owning a G5 before that, once my G5 wore out, I figured I'd keep the same layout and up for something better minus the useless features, like weights, which I never bothered with in the first place.

I don't know for Razor mices though, never bought any.