Unreal Engine 3 At E3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Epic Games issued a press release announcing their showcase of Unreal Engine 3 at E3. Some of the recently added features they'll be touting include:

Unreal Lightmass, a new global illumination solver, produces high-quality static lighting with next-generation effects. Lightmass leverages Epic's new Unreal Swarm distributed computing framework, which enables lighting to be generated up to 10 times faster than before. The new Unreal Content Browser enables designers to quickly locate game assets with thumbnail previews, tag content with metadata, and easily manage asset collections. In addition, the Unreal Master Control Program (MCP) is a scalable statistics and data management back end that supports announcements, settings management, online population tracking, and data collection for hardware, profile, and game stats. Unreal MCP includes a set of tools for visualizing gameplay, and can be used for online and offline game components during development and after shipping a game. All of the new engine features are bundled with Unreal Engine 3 at no additional cost to licensees.

And a few pics to illustrate the goodies:

In addition, Epic Games announces that it has "has shipped the newest Scaleform GFx-Unreal Engine 3 integration kit in tandem with the latest QA-approved build of Unreal Engine 3 for all mutual licensees." The scoop on Scaleform:

Scaleform GFx, the industry-leading user interface (UI) production tool for hardware-accelerated Adobe Flash-based scalable vector graphics and video, is fully integrated into the UE3 hardware-independent graphical rendering system, enabling artists to create scalable data-driven Flash UI elements for videos, menuing systems, overlays, HUDs and animated textures directly on 3D objects. The Scaleform GFx deep level of integration with Unreal Engine 3 includes ties with the Unreal Editor, UnrealScript, Unreal Kismet, packaging, threading, and most impressively, the Unreal Gemini renderer.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
In addition, Epic Games announces that it has "has shipped the newest Scaleform GFx-Unreal Engine 3 integration kit in tandem with the latest QA-approved build of Unreal Engine 3 for all mutual licensees." The scoop on Scaleform.....

All of the new engine features are bundled with Unreal Engine 3 at no additional cost to licensees.

I have a question, the last paragraph i bolded in black strong, What do it means? that is upgradeable to games like gow2 or ut3 or...Is the future for new games?

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Lighting and all that, very cool ... my favorite part is the Scaleform license. Flash-powered middleware means no more "f***ed" UIs.

Now if we can get Epic a time machine, we'll be all set.

Leak

Sep 1, 2008
Linz, Austria
Let me guess - yet another totally indestructible stained glass window? :D

np: SubtractiveLAD - Plexus (Intelligent Toys 5)

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I dont think that improvements it will be included into a game like UT3 due if so it requires to rewrite entirely all the unreal engine code...

So we will await for next UT game if they want

Last edited:
http://www.beyondunreal.com/image_gallery.php?image=gen_090515_7.jpg&lock_date=1

In that first pic,.. on the floor,.. slightly left and up from center of the floor.. WTF is that little black square? Just wondering if that's supposed to be the shadow from the bottom of the light. If so.. umm.. wrong?

Everything else seems great. :D A content browser?!?! Whod'a thunk it!?

I'm sorry I'm really not nit-picking. everyone who knows me knows I LOVE and pretty much worship the unreal engine and the developers who make it better,.. but really wtf is that little black "thing" on the floor there?

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
http://www.beyondunreal.com/image_gallery.php?image=gen_090515_7.jpg&lock_date=1

In that first pic,.. on the floor,.. slightly left and up from center of the floor.. WTF is that little black square? Just wondering if that's supposed to be the shadow from the bottom of the light. If so.. umm.. wrong?

Everything else seems great. :D A content browser?!?! Whod'a thunk it!?

I'm sorry I'm really not nit-picking. everyone who knows me knows I LOVE and pretty much worship the unreal engine and the developers who make it better,.. but really wtf is that little black "thing" on the floor there?

I magnified the picture and its a drainage grate.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I still like the simplicity of the UT3 version of the ED. At this rate, we can BARELY get a UE3 game with the editor, so what's the ****ing point for us, gamers out of the industry, right? :(