Just out of Curiosity

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

de_void

Quaker Extreme
Oct 9, 2003
Australia
Visit site
It is probably just me, but do people actually care about music in levels. I just notice that it is often mentioned a lot in your reveiws, that it would have been good to have had some custom music, etc, etc. To me it doesn't make one scrap of difference. One of the first things I do when setting up a new game is turn the music off. I have never played any game with the music on, ever. I did however listen to the music track for the original Need For Speed on the Platstation way back when, but not in game.

Just curious, thats all.

Rainman

The Boss
May 12, 2001
Washington
Visit site
It is my opinion that Music adds a great deal to the level's atmosphere. Think of it this way, if you took the music out of a dramatic or scary movie, the movie would be much less dramatic (or scary). It's just a thing that nobody really thinks about it, but secretely we all admire it. Trust me, music is a big part of a level, and while it probably won't make or break a review, it certainly could tip the scale decimal or two. I know a lot of people turn their music off when they play online so they can absorb the audio cues better, and it does help, but levels should not be designed for you to turn the music off. It's all part of the atmosphere.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Hehe, it's mostly my fault for wishing that every level had custom or at least non-default UT/UT2003 music. I'm really not a hardcore gamer and like the atmosphere the music creates even though it can at times interfere with the gameplay. Most of those comments are probably from me. :biggrin2:

de_void

Quaker Extreme
Oct 9, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Well I tried playing a game or two with the music on, but I'm afraid it doesn't do anything for me. I prefer it off.
I understand the "Scary movie" example you give, but to me there is one big difference. Movies are passive, while, with gaming, it's like your 'in' the movie, playing an active roll. If I was doing battle with some rocket weilding dude in real life, I sure wouldn't be wearing my discman ;)
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical or anything, just curious.
It's good they give us the choice, to have it, or not to have it, that way everyone wins.

lophead

I'm of the school that doesn't really mind all that much about the music in levels. I only really notice it if it is particularly bad or doesn't fit. But then I have played some where I did notice the music (in a good way), but mostly Im not too fussed.

BobTheDog

Sarkazein
I like music in my games. I'll agree that it adds more to SP games, but I think I'd loose interest much more quickly if there wasn't music. Keeps ya going in the slow spots ;)

For good examples, see System Shock 2 (PC) and Final Fantasy X (PS2)

Neither one of those games would've been near as good without their music.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OT: I need to get back into SS2 sometime. I had trouble shaking off the zombies/aliens in the beginning, so I lost interest. I think I was pretty intense into UT at the time as well, so I made the obvious choice, hehe.;)

barballs

Packed with Unreal goodness
May 3, 2003
Arizona
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
and the right choice was made! Never played SS2 myself though mates did rattle on about it for a while.

With regards to music I think a good song can really help gameplay, even in tourneys.

Nothing like beating beople down to your favourite (insert genre here) song!