UT3Launcher - lets you start UT3 with UT3:// - links

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

awaw

I didn't survive the '08 BUF crash
Jan 19, 2008
Well the title says it mostly. With this program you can launch UT3 via UT3:// - links. It theoretically works with every windows program, as long as it detects it as link.
Even if the links aren't supported (for example in this forum) it can still help. You can post a link which people copy, then paste it in start->run. Still way easier than writing it down on a piece of paper and then connecting via the console.
You can also use it in shortcuts, just use the link as target. That way you can create a shortcut on your desktop which automatically joins your favorite server.

For example if you put into your homepage the following code:
<a href="UT3://open myGreatServer:withAnEvenGreaterPort?spectatoronly=1&password=supersecret">click here to watch teh pros!</a>
People who have installed UT3Launcher can now click on that link and will join as spectators!

It should also work in irc (where it would be useful for pickups), but I haven't figured out who to tell my client that ut3:// should be clickable. If you figure out how to do this in mirc, please tell me.

Installing is as easy as this. Double click the .exe file and select your path to UT3. Please note that if you move the UT3Launcher.exe to a different place you need to "install" it again.

Once you click on a link this window pops up (unless you check the skip checkbox).
In order to join directly the program needs to specify the login data when launching UT3, activating autologin isn't enough, so the program asks you for this data.
As you can see, UT3Launcher saves the last used nicks and their passwords (if you wish). Please note: while this data is saved per user (people with other user accounts won't see your nick in their list), it is saved in plain text in the registry.

Nice side effect from this: you don't get the click now to login-screen anymore, so people who get annoyed by that can just create a shortcut with ut3:// as target

Also a word of warning: this program passes the command directly to UT3, the only modification done is replacing %20 with spaces. If there exists a malicious (sending cd-key to a server or something like that) command in UT3, nothing prevents it from being called except you not clicking on it. So have a look at the links before you click them!

Todo:
Currently if you click on a link while UT3 is already running, a new instance will be startet. I've already got a plan how to fix this and it'll probably be done till Monday evening, but I can't promise anything.

If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, feel free to post them.

And last but not least, the license:
You can do with the program what you want (download, use, send to friends, decompile etc.), as long as you don't claim it for yours and accept that I can't be liable for any damage this program might cause.

You need the .NET Framework version 2.0 or higher, which you can download at microsoft.com for free. Vista has this already included.

Attachments

• UT3Launcher v0.7.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 15

MasterB

Feb 16, 2008
I would encourage you to continue working on this. There have been several very good launching tools for other games but the UT series never got one.
It would be great if this could progress to selecting game types and bots, and reading/selecting maps, mutators. Then launch a match bypassing the main screen.
Oh well I guess that's a lot of work.
I will give your program a try!