Report from 1st night's use of 2.1 on Wireplay

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
S

SchizoidMan

I've posted this up in response to your posts Warren & Catalyst on our Wireplay board, but I thought I'd add it here too.

Last night was the first serious thrash we've had at 2.1, and some of the maps really lagged badly.

On Frozen Arena the lifts were just about unusable. If you could actually get onto the platform, it wouldn't appear to move anywhere, but the sound effect would be played. Either you'd be squished, even though you were standing in the middle (You thought), or you'd find yourself still on the ground. This made this map unplayable.

On Sub-Base, the inside area round the sub lagged badly, particularly when you're in the water.

The Unforgiven, HillBase and Hootsak were ok, for me anyway, quite playable.

Other problems:

Missing / erratic weapon sounds, particularly the M16 (shame - favourite wep that). This was happening for everyone in the game, whether they had a SBLive, A3D2 or p.o.s SB64 like me.

Skins. For some reason we were all in the basic Kurgan skin with no colours. Were we doing something wrong? I tried changing to T_blue, but no dice. That makes it very difficult to see who's who.

I'd really like to persist with the mod, as I think it rocks, but unless we can address some of these it'll have to be cut back to 3/4 maps or removed altogether IMO.

Any help you can give us to get this running smoothly would be really appreciated, and I hope I don't sound too negative, I don't mean to be, I think you've done a great job, and I just want to play it to bits /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<Ahh - I see you haven't got all the nice new smilies - Check these guys out http://www.wireplay.co.uk/ubb/faq.html#smilies>

[This message has been edited by SchizoidMan (edited 07-23-1999).]

S

Stallion

Well, I think I have all the smiles now /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Gonna do a test...
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
shock.gif
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif
cry.gif
stare.gif
shades.gif
shock.gif
sleep.gif
teeth.gif
tongue.gif
worry.gif

Well, we have now only have
shock.gif
and not /infopop/emoticons\icon_redface.gif in the lineup. Sorry guys, but say bye bye to Mr. RedFace, I can only have one of those two, and the embarresment one had to go. Ok, Warren, back to Infiltration, hehe

-Stallion

[Note: This message has been edited by Stallion]

W

Warren

Hey SchizoidMan- I answered this message on your WirePlay message board.. here's a taste-

hmm- this sux. I hate to hear how bad your problems were playing online.. :/ I don't know why some levels appeared laggy while others didn't. And that lift problem sounds like a problem with the level itself, so I'll look into this one.. and test those said levels further online to see if we also have the same lag..

As far as the soundfx cutting out, did this only occur with the MP5 and M16? Was it just the firing sounds or the gun handling as well?

The skin problem is odd- I haven't had trouble with that one yet.. did everyone have the same troubles?

We'll get right on these bugs because there's nothing like playing against human nature /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif ..and plus I'd hate to see you remove Infiltration because I still want to take my chances playing with you guys too..!