Who are these?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Steve Garofalo

Jul 26, 2014
Map assets

This was originally done for a game Epic was prototyping. It was called Epic Warfare at the time. These model and texture assets wound up being used in Unreal Tournament Avaris.

Epic was experimenting with higher poly counts, larger textures, baked on textures etc

Steve

Attachments

• Hallway_UT_Avaris.jpg
    Hallway_UT_Avaris.jpg
    934 KB · Views: 80

Steve Garofalo

Jul 26, 2014
Thanks Raynor.Z

I always happen upon this stuff once in awhile when I am searching through drives for something, and always think about sharing it, then I get side-tracked doing something else.

Steve

Last edited:

Steve Garofalo

Jul 26, 2014
UT Egypt themed static meshes

This was a static mesh for the Egyptian themed maps. It was a work in progress shot for a weekly meeting..where artists would show what they were working on.

Steve

Attachments

• Egypt themed meshes.jpg
    Egypt themed meshes.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 73

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Do you happen to have the maps themselves too? We got what was apparently ps2 beta maps at one point, they worked with the regular ut though(some had to be slightly modified in hex editor for some reason because of certain missing actors which the game thought was meant to be in botpack and probably in the ps2 ut build they were, while originally it was in UnrealI or Unrealshare). There were also attempted many remakes of the ps2 maps, some were missing I believe.

Epic Warfare sounds like early Unreal Warfare? Is it the stuff that was presented in the 2000 technology movie with the music that ended up being unused in Unreal 2?

Steve Garofalo

Jul 26, 2014
Post UT meshes

Leo. I do not have the maps, sorry.

Epic Warfare/Unreal Warfare was probably the same proto-type, just different placeholder names. This was a mesh that was created during that time, but wound up in Unreal Tournament Avaris I believe. UT Avaris was created by Scion studios, who were down the hall from us. We wound up giving them our prototype packages for use in UTA, since we moved on to better technology..and other visual avenues.

There was a tech demo that these meshes were used in that Chris Perna kitbashed together. It was part of a package called "Lost Outpost"

This was a piece of art for a weekly meeting. We had an increase in poly-counts during this time, post Unreal Tournament, but it was still limited. No normal mapping yet.

Attachments

• UT_Gate8.jpg
    UT_Gate8.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
That is so seriously cool to see the way things were developed. It's like having the novel you love but with some of the author's notes jotted into the margins. Thank you for posting these!

Steve Garofalo

Jul 26, 2014
Thunder Crash

On another note..it was nice to see this thread on

https://forums.unrealtournament.com...Back-Thunder-Crash-for-Unreal-Tournament-2014

When I first started work for Epicgames I was still living in Warwick, Rhode Island. I wasn't in-house in North Carolina as of yet. I cannot even remember the software I used when I created Thunder Crash, but it was quite antiquated and nowhere as easy and intuitive as UVIEW. Or doing it in 3dsMax which I now use religiously. He was textured with a mouse, no tablet.

Epic just sent me an un-skinned mesh and I did the best I could. There was no character development for Thunder Crash at that point. He was named and a background created for him after he was textured.

When he wound up on magazine covers and screenshots I was delighted. Shane Caudle, our art director did a phenomenal Malcolm redux for Unreal Tournament 3. [Photo attached]
Epic also wound up having a huge Malcolm statue built of Shane's version which is located in the companies lobby. [photo attached]
It's nice to know the very first character I created for Epic has had longevity and continues to be popular with fans and the company.

Thanks to all of you.

Steven

Attachments

• Malcolm_Epic.jpg
    Malcolm_Epic.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 54
  • MalcolmUnrealTournamentIII.jpg
    MalcolmUnrealTournamentIII.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
So..Unreal Tournament Avaris was yet another game? Where did the developement of that go? I remember hearing about Avaris briefly somewhere, did the concepts turn into what became UT2 or was it completely unrelated?
I didn't know you were responsible for the malcolm as is.
Thank you for sharing this knowledge and information, it helps to make some things clearer.
Wasn't Scion studios named differently at first or am I confusing with another company?

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
This was a piece of art for a weekly meeting. We had an increase in poly-counts during this time, post Unreal Tournament, but it was still limited. No normal mapping yet.

And it remained in the game, it's present in both UT2003 and 2004 in a package titled SG_LO_meshes, which now becomes readable as SteveGarofalo_LostOutpost_meshes. It's used in AS-RobotFactory among others.

The Trophy room concept art above is nothing like the PS2 UT one, but it's the UT2003/2004 one, obviously.

Seeing all this is like doing archeology, it's fascinating to see how it all came together. If you have anything else, keep it coming!

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Steve, that is too cool! You should be proud...that is quite the achievement. Thanks for the information and for bringing it here.

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
Very cool info! I'd like to hear more about "avaris" as well. The art looks very much like UT2k/UC, pretty sure some meshes made it into the final game based on that.