2D or 4D?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kaal979

TheSinew
Jan 10, 2009
Germany
Did you also suspect the perspectivic size values in UT99 abit wrong calculated?
I sometimes see this but its cool!
Maybe there is a new way to abstract video games of the future.
What do you think?

FXD|Shadow

Mad Man, really
I think future games WILL definitly be more interactive.

The invention and progression of holograms and 3D displays will make computer games much more realistic and entertaining, not to forget senso-motoric hardware transfering the motion of the player 1:1 (like Wii), maybe in future there'll be laser-basketball matches, 2 teams playing with a holographic basketball in a holographic environment.. yeah I'm such an imaginative person..

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
We live in a 4D world. Only that we can hardly alter the 4th dimension (time).

You're wrong. At least according to Michio Kaku who in his works states that there are INFINITE spacial dimensions (time is not a "space").

Only problem is that we are specifically designed to live in 3D environments and a 4D view would probably play tricks with our senses.

Still, I'd love to explore a hypercube...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
The 4th dimension comes from Einstein's Relativity theory, and it is most definitely time, because to describe where the object truly is, you have to give four coordinates: X, Y, Z and time, that is, if you have a picture of a ball on your desk, you could say that it's 1 metre above the ground, 10 centimetres from one corner and 5 centimetres from another, but right now it might as well be in another room, so you have to note the 4th dimension as well (you express that by saying "this picture was taken yesterday"; if you're talking about the current state of an object, the 4th dimension is implied to be the exact time you were saying that). At least that's how I understand it.

This is also informative:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091217082758AA4zgPZ

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Well, thing is that there are infinite dimensions of space, not 1 (flatline), not 2 (like, a square), not 3 (cube), not 4 (tesseract/hypercube) but INFINITE. Time is a dimension in it's own right and to us, it's 4th as we can see only three spacial dimensions, the rest is (at least to our senses) only theoretical mathematics/physics and we can only calculate them. If you saw a 4D object, like a hypercube, your eyes and brain would make an attempt to "translate" it to 3D view, causing you a real headache in effect :)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
The M-theory only describes the first 11, though. I guess we'll eventually find more, although it seems that the universe, alternative universes and all their states in the past and future are already in the theory... Hmm... Then again, this is still quite theoretical.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
That's the point. As 3D creatures, we cannot even imagine dimensions 4 and above, since all our senses are only adjusted to three.

Should one mathematically generate a 4D engine, I believe it would play tricks with our minds.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
ahem. I have created a "cube" into 7th dimension and then projected it into 2d (paper) with isometric (3d) perspective. It was fun. and all possible in mathematics. To help (or to brain* you all) there are n-dimensions (space).

Most people i know can only underestand 3 dimensions.

Time being the 4th, is debatable. like, is the water half empty. ... Yeah i'm not gonna fix that to warn that math destrpoys mah braain.

Kaal979

TheSinew
Jan 10, 2009
Germany
I had a wonderful vision this morning!
It was about the future of shooting games.
First thing I imagined were LCD tapestries even on the floor in a special gaming chamber.
Then we could use a remote lightgun (like the nintendo wii controoler).
Further there could be scratchfoot sensitive areas on a cross on the bottom.
Now that gonna be all - no weird 3D glasses which cause blindness and headaches.
Sorry for you 3rd person lovers but thats meant for first person of course.
BTW Im pretty sure such environments already exist elsewhere.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well, things like VR helmets were known for a long time, but they never got popular for some reason. Maybe because the PC screen is more comfortable?