Geforce FX 5600

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BigMonster

Nov 11, 2003
Planet Earth :)
Visit site
I just got me a geforce fx 5600 cause i was really needing a better card to handle some of these new games comming out. I been hearing different things about the 5600 w/256 video ram , that it does not really make that big of difference in games ? Is there anything out there that i might be able to overclock this card if i can ? I'm currently using the card on a AMD 1gig htz computer with 384megs of ram. I'm working on getting another motherboard soon but got other bills to pay first.
Also what kind of changes should i go for far as motherboard &cpu that would match well with the 5600 card ? Most of my games so far look really good but not much difference from the other video card i was using a geforce 4 ti 4200 w/128 .

Thanks for any helpful info you can pass along to me :)

Enzo Maseratti

Oct 28, 2003
Beyondunreal
Visit site
Thats something bad... The best FX cards are the 5700 and 5900, 5950.

The problem with 256MB FX5600 cards is that some models come with lower DDR clocks compared to 128MB models. 256MB only makes sense if you get the fastest GPU on the market.

Try upgrading to Atlhon XP + nforce2 mobo + dual channel DDR.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Also the main bottleneck of the system gaming performance is in fact the CPU, motherboard and ram that you have.

You simply can't provide the GPU with the data that it can handle, thus you don't see much of an improvement. You need a balanced system. Its like putting in R9800 into a Pentium 2 and expecting huge performance increase.

rattyocaster

Up close and personal Sniper
Jul 26, 2002
United Kingdom
www.jordanappleton.co.uk
I must agree with Solid Snake on this, If you have slow hardware it'll not make much difference, even moreso because the FX5600 is a 8X AGP card and the 1 Ghz Athlon will more than likely have a AGP 4X/2X port so you won't get the best out of it, it'll just drag the rest of the hardware up to its maximum capacity. Once I was informed of someone who'd put a really top notch GPU into their PIII 1Ghz system and it seemed ok...but the more use the card got, especially on REALLY intensive games the hardware made an exceptionally worrying high pitch whining noise (Most people might not notice unless its mentioned, but you might wonder why your dog keeps howling:D) but when they transplanted the card into a new machine (AMD Athlon XP 2700+ on a VIA KT400 Chipset) the Whine was gone and the performance was phenominal