Just a quick question about RAM

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pillsbury Flow Boy

The Stairway to Revvin'
Jan 22, 2001
CC,NV,USA
www.knightgames.net
Is there any way to tell how fast my RAM is? It's a gateway computer... P!!! 666(667 if ya wonna be technical) so of course the FSB is 133Mhz... does this mean that my RAM is 133Mhz... or is it could it still be 100? I'm going to get a 128 meg stick today... and just needed some info...

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Your FSP is 133 Mhz. This is than translated to the RAM bus frequency. Therefore you can use 66-133 sticks

Some motherboards (mine for example: ASUS P3V4X) allow to change the RAM frequeny. This allow to adjust the RAm bus idependet from the CPU bus. So I could use a 100 Mhz (w/o multiplier) CPU and 133 Mhz RAMs

You could also run 133 Mhz sticks in a 100 Mhz mobo. But they will get hotter than usual

Xayd

:\
Jul 26, 2000
BF, Arkansas?
Visit site
The one thing RAM wise that'll improve your speed is CAS latency on that setup, and it depends on whether the BIOS will let you set it or not.

CAS latency basically is, how many frequency cycles does it take for your RAM to transmit data. There are two grades, 2 and 3. 2 is obviously better, but you need to be able to specify 2 in your BIOS for it to work. You can't use two different speeds, so if you wanna run CAS2 then all of your memory sticks must be able to handle it.

If you can set those options in your BIOS, see if the RAM that came from Gateway can handle CAS2. If it can, get CAS2 RAM for your other 128 megs and you'll get a noticeable increase in performance.

Xayd